Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Low Battery Audio Off message - 2013 SE

36K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  luiz.lh 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2013 SE with a little less than 2k miles on it. I noticed a problem yesterday while waiting to pick up my daughter from summer camp. I was waiting in the parking lot and it was a nice day out, so I just put the windows down, turned off the car and put the key into ACC mode so I could just listen to the radio while I waited. Less than 2 minutes later, it all just shut off and I got a message stating "Low Battery Audio Off" (I don't have the Sony system or My Ford Touch, just the base radio). I thought maybe it was because I was listening to Pandora thru my iPhone. So today when I picked her up, I did the same thing but just had the FM radio on. It happened again after about 2 minutes (actually a little less, I timed it). Any idea why this would happen?

#3 ·
Hello everyone, I have a 2013 SE with a little less than 2k miles on it. I noticed a problem yesterday while waiting to pick up my daughter from summer camp. I was waiting in the parking lot and it was a nice day out, so I just put the windows down, turned off the car and put the key into ACC mode so I could just listen to the radio while I waited. Less than 2 minutes later, it all just shut off and I got a message stating "Low Battery Audio Off"...
Hi Chris13SE,

I recommend making an appointment at your dealership so they can perform an inspection. Additionally, I can help by bringing this to the attention of your regional customer service manager; just send me a PM with your details and I'll get started. All I'll need to make this happen is your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. Thanks!

Crystal

#4 ·
No idea what the issue was (not had it myself), but you can listen to the system without having the key in ACC. Park, pull out the keys, and press the power button on the radio to power up again.

I don't know if that's how it works with MyFord Touch, but it works with the garden-variety Sync. I've used it to keep me entertained while working in the garage.

#7 ·
Same annoying problem

I have a brand new left over 2014 Focus I got 03/11/15. I get "Battery Low, Audio Off" message often but not all of the time. Sometimes I can wax my car w/no problem but mostly it shuts off in 1-3 minutes.
I drove for a few hours saturday and it did not do this while detailing the car, but during the 20 min drive to work it will shut of within 3 min.
The dealer said the battery and charging system were fine and gave me a print out that shows the car audio will shut off if the battery is showing a certain % of charge.
I give up. The car is fine but I must either leave it running while I detail it or go for a couple hour drive 1st.

#8 ·
I am having the same issue for low battery audio off. The dealership said they cannot duplicate the problem but yet I drove home 3 miles with only the radio on and parked it ran the radio for 5 minutes with key on it shut off. If I drive & run lights or/and wipers it shuts off after 1-2 minutes. The dealership said they could not duplicate the issue (funny I could). I was politely insistent that something was wrong. I was told "here's a number to call I'm not going to argue with you and she walked away. I had the battery changed out 1.5 yrs ago for the same reason. Oh yeah the number she gave me was for roadside assistance. That speaks pretty loud to me.
What do I do now? Many others have this issue. It is clear there is a draining issue or faulty system or computer setting problem. Any suggestions?[dunno]

#9 ·
Most important question - was the car reset for the new battery when installed?

If not, it'll shut off for low battery earlier than when it should as it assumes the older battery is still installed and has the same reduced capacity.

Threads in the MkIII section and recently in General Tech Chat as well on this.

We keep learning more about it, Ford diagnostic computer was originally supposed to be the only way to do a reset, now there's an aftermarket 'app" that can do it, and supposedly leaving it untouched for a day will do the job as well (no solid proof I've seen on that). Reference material found says 8 hrs. plus untouched, idk if that actually works for everyone.

#10 ·
This happens to me.... I thought it was normal.[shhh]

Only get the alert with the car not running and key in the ON position. About 2 minutes later, the alert pops up on the radio. First saw the alert probably 10 months ago. Never an issue with the car struggling to start in the least, even in the snow. Still original battery in my 2013.

Never really cared as it only happens with the car not running and I never really use the radio without the car running.

Meh. Still don't care.[grinking]

#11 ·
I had the same problem with my 2014 SE from day one. I finally brought it to the dealer because the warrantee was running out. They ran diagnostics on it for an hour and finally decided I had a bad battery. They replaced the battery at no cost, reset the system and now everything is perfect.

Odd that I had the problem even when the car was new, and never had a problem starting it.

#12 · (Edited)
Well, the problem's back. The new battery didn't cure it....or it did for a month or two. The car is going back to the dealer. The first repair was under warranty. Let's see how they react to this turn of events.

Update: I talked on the phone with the dealership and they insist that I'm the problem, that I don't drive the car enough. They gave me the same excuse two years ago.

Why would the radio turn itself off to save power but the ventilation fan and the lights stay on? The lights did not dim and the car started right up.

My upcoming visit will prove interesting.

#14 ·
That's a load of crap. How often do you drive the vehicle? Even if you drive it every other day, that's more than enough to keep parasitic draw from harming the battery.

Err, no it doesn't. The radio will work for less than 2 minutes and then shut off.
I think you're misunderstanding the post. He didn't say it would fix the problem. It just said it was possible to play the radio without the key.

#16 ·
I just brought my 2014 Focus SE in for a recall to change some dubious computer code problem but the technician wouldn’t correct my real code problem. He even dishonestly wrote up the order as if the car had an old battery in it. I already had one replaced under warranty. It ISN'T bad. Besides, what good is the computer turning the radio off while leaving the lights and ventilation fan on? How much power could that save?

Even though the car did this from day one, the dealer's technician wants me to buy a new battery or use a trickle charger every day. He won’t acknowledge that the code is FUBARD and correct it.

This isn't over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.