Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Running 12GA speaker wire into the doors ???

11K views 40 replies 10 participants last post by  mister_eff 
#1 ·
Hello,
Today I attempted to install my new ID CXS65 components into my 2012 Focus. I had read on this forum that it is very difficult to run speaker wire into the doors due to the mylex connection on the factory boot between the door and body so I was planning on drilling new holes, using grommets and running the wire through the new holes. Once I looked under the steering wheel by the hood release lever, I do not see how this is possible... How do you get to the inside of the door jamb? There is a peice of metal that all the insulation is attached to under there and that is approx 8" from the inside of the door jamb! I beleive a forum member named Storis has done this on his Focus. Can someone please tell me what I am missing? I am also adding an amp so I really do not want to use the thin factory wire... Help Please!!!!! (Hopefully I am explaining my problem good enough) I need to know how to get the speaker wire into the door... [scratch][scratch][scratch][bigcry][bigcry][bigcry]

#29 ·
By clicking on the clicking on the blue number next to "FF Reputation:" in the Avater box.

#30 ·
Stock wiring and anything over head unit power scares me. You could run your 12 gauge speaker wire from the amplifier right up to the door jam, tap into the factory wiring, then on the otherside inside the door tap into the factory wiring and run your 12 gauge into the speaker. That way your run of wire would consist mostly of 12 gauge and only a couple inches of stock factory wiring. That would be safe to run 95wpc on and that way you dont have to drill into a brand new 2012.

#31 ·
That is exactly what I did. I've ran close to 300wpc to my front stage this way.

Thanks for chiming in Mitch.

#33 ·
Yes I was using one of my old Carvers. That said, there is only about 1 ft. of the OEM wire inline. Yes it does cause more resistance but, it was just fine. Currently I am using the same wire setup on 123 RMS/side.

#40 ·
I drilled the hole for my speaker wire, lock actuators, and accent lighting, right though the center of the plug. But it was in my 01 LX. I did the same with my 03 ZTW wagon. The LX wasn't hard as I only had a few wires going to the plug. Now power locks or windows. The wagon which had power everything I had to take alittle extra care. Easiest way to drill them is to remove them from the car. The door side is easy. The car side requires getting into the inner body behind the kick panel.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.