Focus Fanatics Forum banner

cheap but good sound mat!!!

11K views 58 replies 12 participants last post by  sgtsmasher 
#1 · (Edited)
where can i get cheap but good sound mat?????

Does anyone know of a website or link as to where i can find really cheap sound mat cause i am not paying top dollar for crap mat, i just want the cheapest price with the best quality, im looking to cover the whole interior from the rear seats back in my zx3, also i have no interior plastic from there back as cause i ripped it out (had plans for other stuff but now cant...kid on the way) can anyone please help....also can anyone provide guidance as to what i can do to cover the sound mat once its in to get rid of the shinny, i was thinking something like the carpet you use to cover speaker boxes....oooooo i could use fabric from a fabric store, damn just thought if that hehehe

#2 ·
Simple , the new Audio Technix Deadener comes out in less than a week, It has no shiny to it , it is black and has white writing on it . its amazing stuff , me being on the team I had early access to it. I have used other products and am very happy with the results thus far

#5 ·
Color is not making any difference in audio experience :p
I'd like to know how is it really different from the previous one :)

#4 ·
Audio Technix is deff best bang for buck.. Planning on picking some up cause I ran out of AlphaDamp lol

#6 ·
Its like $60 or $70 for 40 sq feet, it has a stiffer butyl, (not as runny) , it weighs in around .75lbs per square foot. It has a stiffer foil also ... it is a much more rigid product but yet just as easy to install. it also has a higher point in which it will hold without melting the Adhesive ... p.s. Its oven type temperatures .

#12 ·
The price I was thinking of was for 24 sq ft of 60 mil . I had just ordered some when I posted price , STUPID me

Got a Email today with the specs for those interested

Now shipping!!

New Audio Technix Sound Deadener now in stock and shipping! Now featuring a black aluminum in 12" x 24" sheets (2 sq ft).

60 mil specs:
60 mil thick total
5 mil aluminum
Butyl Adhesive
Roughly .5 lbs per sq ft
http://audiotechnix.com/products/sound-deadener/60-mil-sound-deadener

80 mil specs:
80 mil thick total
7 mil aluminum
Butyl Adhesive
Roughly .75 lbs per sq ft
http://audiotechnix.com/products/sound-deadener/80-mil-sound-deadener
Also the heat tolerance I was talking about is 300*s for 4 hours

#15 ·
IMO , It would be close, as I have a sedan I cant Give you an exact answer as to amount to cover everything but in my sedan , it is 60" from rear seat bolts (ones closest to front seat ) to the trunk lid , 40" from wheel well to wheel well, so that as roughly 17 sq feet , that leaves around 20 for your hatch and c pillars

#34 ·
what mil are you using here in the pics im debating whether or not i should get the 60 mil at 40 sq ft or 80 mil at 24 sq ft...im just not sure at how how much i need... really need to get one measuring the car i guess what it comes down to...

#18 ·
02Zetechse - it seems that you know quite a bit about this stuff. I've always heard that this stuff works great at reducing db's as well as heat - still the same case? I've got a 74' Bronco that I 4x4 and the exhaust heats up the sheet metal something fierce - would this stuff work to help reduce the heating of the floor boards? I'll enjoy the sound reduction no doubt, I'm just curious if it can handle the heat.

I've never held any of these products before, are they an open or closed cell design? I'm curious if this stuff will suck up and hold water or not...

Thanks- I've been pondering about coating the floors and doors in my 08' as well, its quiet as is, but it can only get better...

#19 ·
@ Kyle
open cell foam, closed cell foam .... the product they are talking about is not foam :)

I dunno about heat, but I can say they do help with noise.

let's hear what 02Zetechse has to say.

#21 ·
Oh - see, my ignorance of the subject is all out in the open :D

#20 ·
You do not have to cover everything with soundproofing. 70-80% is all that you really need. Closed cell foam will make up the difference(I do recommend 95% coverage with the foam).

Remember, not to cover screw holes or, clip holes with your soundproofing. Also use a grease pen, dry erase or, blue tape to mark out where the door card meets the exposed part of the door frame or, it will look like crap(try to stay about 1/4" behind that line). WD-40 will remove the adhesive if you mess up.

#22 ·
@ Kyle - The deadener will help with heat, but I do not recommend it for a primary barrier. I would find a heat shield , or possibly a "ceramic content" paint , to under coat the exhaust area in as a primary means with deadening as a secondary . When off roading as you already know, it allows for alot of heat buildup . Adhesive of most brands are only good to 2-300*F before loss of adhesion or possibility of fire . The general deadener is not water absorbent and is comprised of a Butyl and or Asphalt based adhesive , with a foil constraining layer .

Freemind is correct in saying "70-80% is all that you really need", The idea is to keep the panel from vibrating and it doesn't take 100% coverage to do so .The foam will also absorb sounds entering the car, and sounds that "reflect" ( echo) inside the car thus giving a quieter and clear sounding ride and radio .

#23 ·
Alright - I still might give it a try and see what happens, the exhaust is not near the floor, but the shape of the floor ( _/--\_ ) traps heat and it would be nice to try and reduce it. I guess I can wait for some air bake cookie sheets to go on sale and start hackin stuff up...

I've got another Bronco I plan on using for street duties, so I'll cover the floor and firewall for sure in that...

#24 ·
I have an idea, if you can get your hands on a cheap laser thermometer , check the floor temperature next time you go wheeling . The deadener will most likely work , but I dont want to guarantee anything and mislead you in any way

btw the roofing tin used on chicken coops works great and can be picked up at most farm supply stores.

#25 ·
roofing tin on chicken coops? How about a picture. lol

#27 ·
Oh, that... I've got some laying around, lol.

Thanks for the heads up-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.