Focus Fanatics Forum banner

rockford build

32K views 152 replies 9 participants last post by  _Chicoblanco 
#1 · (Edited)
for anyone that doesnt know i do spl contests and this will be my 3rd summer competing and only my 4th year doing car audio. i get a great deal on rockford gear and it has great sound quality while still getting loud and low. this setup is for daily listening and competing, once i get my new box built and the alt installed with big 3 all i will have left is a few changes to my front sound stage that will include some fiberglassing the front doors to add a 6" mid speaker tweeter and crossover all right on the door and then an amp to power the front and rear door speakers. then sound deadening the rest of the car.

for this 3rd year i am taking everything ive learned from the past 2 years of competing and putting it to use.

equipment list
2 t2d4 12"
2 sets of t1 6x8 in the doors
pioneer hu
rockford 1/0gauge 4gauge and 8 gauge
rockford 10 farad cap and interstate deep cycle rv battery
250amp micheal singer alt < just came in, installing on the 7th or 8th of april.
t1500.1bdcp for subs

still needing
t2 6.5 componet set
t400.4 maybe bigger
fiberglassing skills < dont know where to buy that at
speaker wire for when i get my mid amp.
wood for sub enclosure

with out any more delay some pics

the box will be 4 cu ft after displacement with a port area of 15.55in per cu ft tuned at 39 hz with a double baffle

best pic i have of hu right now, its a pioneer dont remember model number

pic of the one of the 12s im using in a box i was using it in. it was my first box build so be nice.

I have a single run of 1/0 gauge going from front the second battery in the hatch, from second battery to my cap then 4 gauge from cap to amp. just got a few feet of 2gauge for free gonna see if it will fit in the amp if it will im gonna replace the 4 gauge from the cap the the amp.

See less See more
#117 ·
now there is more room here then what it looks like. the focals will be replaced with rockford punch pro 6" mids.

cut the wood in the dark of the night with only light coming through the window at my dads house so its ugly looking but it will work

#118 ·
my newest idea and hopefully the last, this gets spendy changing stuff so often.

this idea would call for no backseat and so i will have to get an suv ( hopefuly a non gas hog ) to haul the family around in.

box is 5.77cuft tuned to 35hz with a double baffle, should get low and nasty while still being able to play into the mid 40hz range hopefully so that i can still get some sort of score.

#119 ·
oh and i forgot to mention i recently got the new pioneer deh-80prs and it is an amazing head unit. also sold one of my 12's so far and hopefully after selling the second one i will buy my rockford punch pro 6" mids and put some toward the amp for the front door. wont have any speakers in the back door.

#122 ·
Kerfed or squared?

Squared(sharp right angles)tend to make some noise at higher power levels. That makes for port noise that hurts SQ.

Kerfed is a slow rounded edge that helps eliminate port noise period. This is a much better port design period.

Round ports are not worth the trouble IMO.

#123 ·
squared port but im gonna get some pvc or any platic tube big enough to use to round the inside corner of the port so that the port remains the same size all the way through. if you look at the picture of the inside of the box you will see in the port that the corner is rounded.

not going for spl more for daily but a decent score with a daily setup would be nice.

#126 ·
Yes , angles hurt spl from what ive seen , if you want to find "dead" space in your box, add some saw dust in there and bump for a few days, the saw dust will gather where air movement is lacking , adding a 45* to the opposing corner forces air into the "dead area"

#128 · (Edited)
talked to my good friend at the shop i get my stuff from to get some prices on some of the stuff i still need.
--------------------------- msrp cost total
2 punch pro 6" mid each $90 $72 $144
1 t400.4 list price-------- $440 $296 $296
50feet 16gauge wire----- $45 $15 $15

----------------------------$665 $455 i save 210

so hopefully putting some money towards it on payday, might be able to get most of the wire free. when they have a few extra feet of wire just laying on their work bench they will sometimes just hand it over to me.
next up after this purchase is my new t2d415" gonna get those at their cost and then once i get it all together where gonna spend a few hours getting the eq and everything on the pioneer 80prs i just got setup real good.

then all i will have left is batteries, wood carpet and a whole lot of sound deadener. gonna be able to get dynamat 10% over their cost to so ill be saving a lot of money there.
they sell shuriken i can get a decent deal on but i might go with 2 die hard platinum batteries from sears for just over 200 each and then a smaller shuriken under the hood. waiting on pricing for the shurikens i want since they only just started doing shuriken batteries.

#129 ·
ok, so here is the plan for the box

the box will have a removable extension piece so that i can remove it to raise the port tuning for spl.

with out the port extionsion

with the port extension

the complete part list
pioneer 80prs
2 rf t2d415-low crossover set at around 80hz running of the t1500.1bdcp about 750watts each
1 t1500.1bdcp - birthsheet say 1950watts rms at 14.4volt wired at 1ohm
2 rf punch pro tweets-high crossover set around 3500hz running off front channel of t400.4 wired at 8ohms about 45watts each
2 rf punch pro mids-low/mid crossover set around 150hz mid/high around 3500hz running off the rear channel at 4ohms about 100watts each.
1 t400.4
either 2 shurkien batteries or 2 diehard platinum batteries depending on pricing.
10 farad rf cap
50ft 16-18gauge wiring for door speakers
no more then 6ft 4gauge for amps
about 30ft of 1/0gauge from front to rear, rear batteries to cap.

a wiring diagram

#130 ·
for those who might not know, with using the pioneer deh80prs i will be running active ( no passive crossovers). so everything will be completely controlled by the hu and its built in crossover network.
gives me complete control of the crossover points along with the slope for low, low/mid, mid/high and high crossover points.

#131 ·
just picked up 60ft of rockford 16guage speaker wire. slowly starting to buy more. will hopefully have my external regulator for my h/o alt and my punch pro 6"mids by the end of the month.

#132 ·
ordered and payed for my punch pro mids. slowly coming together. once everything is installed i will make a thread with pictures of all the equipments piled up and then the pics of making the doors, sub box, amp rack, and making everything look good and clean. will be pics of the entire process all posted up at once so you dont have to search through pages to see it all.

#134 ·
ill have everything by the beginning of june. the first comp of the year is usually right around june 3rd-june 9th so i have to at least have enough done to go. may is when i will be doing a lot of building, including building the box and fiber-glassing the doors. hopefully by then its warm enough outside so that i can leave the door panels in my dads storage to let it dry.

taking out the back seat to get about 45" of depth so that i can fit everything. about 35" of it will be taken up for the box, 7" of external port with another 6" in front of the port to give it the room it needs to breath. then right be hind the front driver seat will be the t400.4, batteries in the middle of the seats, the t1500.1bdcp behind the passenger seat with the 10 farad cap sitting on top of the box the batteries will be in. the 2 amps will be sitting at about a 45-70 degree angle so that the 2 front seats will still be able to recline some. they will actually still have about 5" of space to move backwards compare to how they are when im driving and my wife is in the car with me.

#135 ·
Great to hear your still making progress :) , I ditched my old builds and am starting another , got a lot planned so maybe we can give each other ideas depending on who finishes first :)

#136 ·
well, im hoping i will be 100% done by june. i need to start putting money towards the performance starting with the suspension, exhaust, and transmission.

#141 ·
what it might look like finishe.sub amp on one side 4 channel on the other.batteries in the box in the middle. 10 farad cap above battery box in the middle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.