Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How successful is using Dynamat?

18K views 52 replies 16 participants last post by  alaskanzx5 
#1 ·
I've been looking at ways of quieting some of the road noise and squeaks from my cars and I was wondering how well this product works. Dynamat sells several products, and then they come in various thicknesses. What has worked for most of you? Thanks.

#2 ·
Go to lowes and get some peel'n'seal

Same stuff, fraction of the price.

Only places you wouldn't want to use it are where it might get too hot and melt (It is asphalt based)

Looks like Damplifier would work as well. Its cheaper than dynamat, but more expensive than pns

#5 ·
DO NOT USE PEEL AND SEAL!!!!!!! to put it bluntly ... a half ass product yields a half ass result ... If you are looking for an affordable option go with Audio Technix Deadener.

It is a great true Butyl deadener, I have over 5 rolls all through out my car You will notice a difference after 2 layers and it wont melt off like Asphalt based deadeners do .. you will want to focus on doing your floorboards and rear fender Tubs more than any other areas ... Though a layer or 2 over other areas wont hurt ... If you pull the foam from your foot wells you will eliminate alot of engine noise also.

In my personal vehicle I have 6 layers on my roof 3 layers on my floor and 4 on each door . It is solid

#15 ·
DO NOT USE PEEL AND SEAL!!!!!!! to put it bluntly ... a half ass product yields a half ass result ... If you are looking for an affordable option go with Audio Technix Deadener.
Any material that increases the mass without increasing the stiffness will be an effective sound deadener and the building construction ice dam membrane will do just that.

The ice dam membrane you get at lowes may not be as effective as Dynamat but two or three layers is. Considering you can purchase a 4' wide by 50' long roll of the ice dam material for the same cost as a 18" by 32" sheet of Dynamat it is a much less costly way to go.

I have had two layers of the ice dam membrane covering the entire floor of my 68 Barracuda for over 10 years now. It works great and the heat from the headers right under the floor has not impacted it.

FWIW, most of the purpose made products are asphalt based too.

#6 ·
Damplifier pro is pretty much top of the line deadener. Expensive but thick, sturdy, and quietens a ton. We just did the trunk of a new camaro at work that had a lots exhaust on it and worked wonders. We just did the trunk floor, wheel wells, and under the reat seat

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

#7 ·
I am amazed at the number of offerings in the field of sound deadeners. Checking ebay, I find a ton of suppliers. I am inclined to go towards the more inexpensive stuff, but it may be false economy if it requires several layers. I'll check into Audio Technix and Damplifier.

#8 ·
all the ebay stuff is 99% asphalt or asphalt butyl blend ... I would stay away from it ... Its a hyped version of peel and seal.... Damplifier is a second skin product and is very high priced but it is very high quality... The Audio technix also has b stock that has little flaws that may be cheaper for you but will perform just the same

#9 ·
Audio technix, RAAmat and Secound Skin have the best products and excellent customer service PERIOD.

#11 ·
Damplifier pro I believe also has b stock that is also cheaper. You get it straight dryin secondskin. google it. It should be the first thing to pop up more than likely. I'm not sure on the others

#13 ·
i have my hatch front doors and front half of the roof done with dynamat, mad a huge difference. all with just a single layer. i did the front half of the healiner because the map light and roof were getting annoying along with the doors. helped keep done ratles upfront for better sound upfront. next is the rest of the trunk and then the rear doors and last half of roof.

#18 ·
Butyl rubber by it self is not as dense as Dynamat meaning it has something else in the make-up. When I was researching sound deadener for my Barracuda I read a number of comparison articles and saw a number of references that these materials used asphalt to give them the density. These articles also said that the ice dam membrane was very effective.

In any case Dynamat if not the most expensive it is close, even the cheapest stuff is still about 3x or more, more expensive than the ice dam membrane material.

#21 ·
Butyl rubber based deadeners with foil backing dont get hard like asphalt foss over time

#22 ·
Not all sound deadening materials come with foil. The foil's primary purpose is to act as a heat barrier. The rubbery nature of these materials and the fact that they are stuck to the surface with an adhesive dampens the resonance along with the added mass they provide that lowers the resonant frequency.

#24 ·
I got some Stinger RoadKill trunk and door kits all for $20, my workplace was going out of business and I got it for cheap. I got the trunk, hatch door, rear side panels, and the front doors with those two kits. It made a significant difference with the audio, road noise is somewhat better.

#31 ·
You always over-pay for Dynamat unless you get it at cost.

Always.

02Zetecse and I know what we are talking about here and would never recommend inferior products.

SecondSkin is great as well.

#32 ·
Second Skin is considered one of the best brands in the industry. Dynamat is deemed "best" as it is sold in most retail chains . It is infact a mid grade product . AudioTechnix deadener is a up and coming brand who does not have the Rep or cost of Secondskin or dynamat, But offers a High quality competitive product .

#33 ·
does anyone have pictures of their dynamat installed? I have a question about the factory rubery material that is already there. I wonder if I remove it if it will let moisture and or water and affect my speakers or window regulators.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.