Focus Fanatics Forum banner

SYNC System Thread

331K views 525 replies 200 participants last post by  double b 
#1 ·
#119 ·
I've only had my 2012 Focus (Sedan) for 2 days and am already having issues with Sync (non MFT).

I had my phone and ipod synced up and everything was working great day 1, unfortunatly day 2 when I push the sync button on the wheel, or the phone and aux button on the center channel nothing is happening.

I am not getting the voice to make a command or the phone.aux menus when i select them.

Since I cannot access the menus, I am unable to do a master reset of the Ford Sync, so I tried unplugging the Sync Fuse in the Fuse box. I did this twice and it did not resolve my problem.

Other then taking it to the dealer, is there any way to fix this? Is it possible i screwed up some of my settings somehow or am I already going to have to make a trip to get service?

Thanks,

Norco

#120 ·
#122 ·
I have an iPod Classic with about 11,000 songs on it that I often use with Sync. I have used the SyncMyiTunes program to correct an errors in my collection.

Every 1,000 miles or so (4,300 miles on the car now), I get a message that the device doesn't support voice commands (this happens even if I use a different device for music once I get this message, so it is a message from Sync regardless of what is plugged into the USB port). I have to reset the Sync system by pulling fuse #67 to get the system to recognize voice commands again.

The car was at the dealership yesterday for a headliner adhesive issue, so I asked the dealership to confirm that I have the latest version of Sync (the Ford website doesn't provide the version number for the latest version, so I didn't know if I had the latest version). The dealership said I have the latest version.

I have read that other people are having a similar problem with other devices as well. It is my understanding that it could be a cache problem. Does anyone know if Ford is working on this issue, or will I have to continue removing a fuse every 1,000 miles?

#126 ·
Sync My iTunes is definitely a useful tool, tiburonjt! For those of you who don't know what it is, SYNC My iTunes is a Microsoft Windows based downloadable software program that corrects common errors in your iTunes music library, so that your music can be indexed by SYNC. To download this, check out:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManagement/FaqDetail.aspx?faqId=266

My 2012 Focus SEL with SYNC decided today it doesn't want to switch radio stations anymore....anyone have any input please? Thanks!
Hi, waypastfast -

Is your Focus equipped with MyFord Touch?

I am having sync issues as with some if the other folks here. Voice commands no longer works (cache issues). I know removing fuse 67 clears the cache but for as long as this has been a known issue, is there any word from Ford on a software repair? I have tried to check my software version but when I go to syncmyride, I am unable to download or even confirm whether my software is up to date. If someone from Ford is reading this, can you please PM me?
Hey, valmundo -

Ford rep at your service. [giddy] Just to clarify, are you not able to download the SYNC Status Checker? I can check for an available software update, send me your VIN in a PM.

Our engineers are always working to improve and enhance our various systems, but updates availability is based upon model year as well as the build date.

The vin number of my vehicle is - 1FAHP3M28CL301507 with a build date of 11-21-2011.
I use sync for playing mp3 files from a flash drive, when I turn the vehicle off & restart, sometimes it begins playing right where it left off, other times it begins playing a completely different album or artist, the display begins displaying file names rather than mp3 tags. It will usually play a song or two like this, then it begins playing only 10 to 15 seconds of a song and switching to another. Also, sometimes when the car is restarted it doesn't come back to the flash drive at all and begins playing AM radio.
I had a 2008 Lincoln MKX with sync and it never had this problem, what's wrong with the Focus and how can it be fixed?
My records show you have the most up-to-date version available (3.1.1), ksearcy. I previously spoke with a customer who was having a similar concern. I've passed the info along to our engineering team and I'm just waiting to hear back. Stay tuned...

Jaclyn

#124 ·
I am having sync issues as with some if the other folks here. Voice commands no longer works (cache issues). I know removing fuse 67 clears the cache but for as long as this has been a known issue, is there any word from Ford on a software repair? I have tried to check my software version but when I go to syncmyride, I am unable to download or even confirm whether my software is up to date. If someone from Ford is reading this, can you please PM me?

#125 ·
Sync is unreliable

The vin number of my vehicle is - 1FAHP3M28CL301507 with a build date of 11-21-2011.
I use sync for playing mp3 files from a flash drive, when I turn the vehicle off & restart, sometimes it begins playing right where it left off, other times it begins playing a completely different album or artist, the display begins displaying file names rather than mp3 tags. It will usually play a song or two like this, then it begins playing only 10 to 15 seconds of a song and switching to another. Also, sometimes when the car is restarted it doesn't come back to the flash drive at all and begins playing AM radio.
I had a 2008 Lincoln MKX with sync and it never had this problem, what's wrong with the Focus and how can it be fixed?

#129 ·
Hi, WizeGuyDezignz -

You can see which version you currently have installed as well as check for updates here:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/UserManagement/GuestLogin.aspx

Otherwise, PM me your VIN and I'll look for you.

Good to see I'm getting ignored here.
Sorry for the oversight, Zillon. I definitely was not ignoring you on purpose.
Have you tried any other devices besides the iPod? Also, are you running the Performance Upgrade software (3.0.2)?

Jaclyn

#136 ·
Samsung Galaxy SII Rogers

Hi,

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII from Rogers and I am having problem with the bluetooth, it connect ok, transfer phonebook but then every few minutes it disconnect then reconnect and it does that over and over. Anyone have a fix for that?

Thanks.

I have a Ford Focus Titanium 2012 brand new, got it friday.

#137 ·
Hi All. New focus owner for 2 days [hihi]. This morning I activated my sync account through syncmyride.com
I'd like to know how the sync account can be de-activated? For instance, when you sell the car (or at the end of a lease), how do you make sure the new owner doesn't have access to your personal info stored in your sync account?

#138 ·
What personal information is stored in your SYNC account, and how could that information be accessed through the car's interface?

I would think that all you would have to do is disconnect your phone and clear the address book. That information isn't stored in your account.

#141 ·
When my car got back from dealership my MFT setting were off so I guess they did some resets cause my power windows needed to be reset too but anyways my bluetooth phone wont show the phonebook anymore. I reconnecting phone completely did the phonebook download and still nothing. Worked fine before but now I just get the number instead of name when someone calls.

#143 ·
I'm not sure what you mean. I use Google Voice for voice mail and a second number. I use that with Sync, but I'm not sure how that relates to Sync Services.

#146 ·
I havent had my focus long, but every time i plug in my ipod (80gb classic) I have to wait several minutes while it 'builds voice commands'
That is the nature of the system. When you unplug media from SYNC, then plug it back in, it assumes it is a new device. Rather than using a media player, I use a 2.5" USB hard drive formatted as FAT32 and leave it plugged in. SYNC builds voice commands once and keeps them as long as the hard drive is still present.

It should be noted that I am limited to about 10,000 songs on the hard drive. Once I exceed that number, SYNC disables voice commands for the drive.

#152 ·
This morning I discovered my voice command stopped working. This is the sequence of events (I tried at least 3-4 times) -> Pushed the button on the steering wheel -> radio station on the screen started flashing -> no voice prompt asking me to say a command -> screen flash stopped and everything seemed fine.

Everything else seems to work fine as long as I don't use voice command. I tried turning off the engine and back on, it didn't fix it. I tried adjusting the voice command volume, it didn't fix it. What else am I missing? Plz help.

#158 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

This whole Sync thing is driving me nuts. It's never worked properly for me and now it's refusing to work at all.

Here's what's going on: Whenever I connect my iPhone, iPod, or Flash drive to the USB port and then select "USB" from the Source menu, the screen displays "Initializing" for two or three minutes before reporting "Unsupported device." This only started a couple of days ago; before that, it would display "Indexing" for literally hours. I had to use the "start playing before you connect" workaround to get any music at all. Now, that doesn't work either.

In addition, Bluetooth doesn't work correctly. Although Sync connects to my phone and I can make and receive calls via Bluetooth, whenever I try to play music, I get "Connecting..." for five minutes before "No Bluetooth Device".

I've reset to Factory Defaults and performed a Master Reset with no joy. The phone connects to the phone system but I am utterly unable to get it to work via USB or Bluetooth.

My particulars: 2012 Ford Focus SEL with Sync but not MyFord Touch; iPhone 4S with iOS 5, iPhone 3GS with iOS 5, iPhone Classic (60 Gb), 16 Gb Flash drive with FAT32 formatting, flat directory structure and MP3s vetted by the syncmyride program.

Any ideas? I'm pulling my hair out at this point.

-terry-

#160 ·
Has anybody seen this happen in their car yet? I went out to the garage (car had been parked for a couple hours) and turned it on (didn't crank it). The screen remained black for about 45 seconds, so I turned the car off. It flashed grey, then attempted to start playing music. Then that stopped, so I turned the car on again, and this popped up: It's been fine ever since, but sure did freak me out for a minute.

#164 ·
No worries. System gets hung up from time to time. Runs through that to get it back working. I've seen three since the update. You won't (or shouldn't) lose any presets or anything. Just let it do it's thing and recover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.