Focus Fanatics Forum banner

4-inch displays. how do I get them?

125K views 170 replies 56 participants last post by  novus 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just recently bought myself a '12 ford focus SE sedan. (picking it up in a few days :D).

What I noticed, is some of the focus's have a 'downgrade' from the 4 inch displays and had the very basic displays.

I ordered the rapid spec 202A package. will that included the 4 inch displays or not?

I tried asking the dealership guys but no one really had a solid answer for me.

#4 ·
Yours will look like this with the 4" screen

I had a look at the Focus on line brochure fordcanada.ca and must say the lack of "any" details is brutal. Cannot be very good for consumers trying to get any knowledge on the features , etc on the Focus. Just terrible Ford Canada.
Great thanks guys. Yes, details are very vague. All the dealer folks didnt quite know either.

#3 ·
Yours will look like this with the 4" screen

I had a look at the Focus on line brochure fordcanada.ca and must say the lack of "any" details is brutal. Cannot be very good for consumers trying to get any knowledge on the features , etc on the Focus. Just terrible Ford Canada.

#5 ·
5 different size screen available.
2 inch 2 lines
3.5 inch monochrome
4.2 multicolor

5 inch multicolor (with navigation)

and sync

As you see as on pictures, all screens are using different front panels. If you would like to change screen you should have to change front panel and audio units too. Ford uses 9 different type audio units. Your unit may not compatible with mutlicolor screens.

By the way, I am attaching part numbers of all screens. I took them from microcat

3.5"
AM5T-18B955-BE
4.2"
AM5T-18B955-BECG
5 inch
AM5T-18B955-DJ
AM5T-18B955-DG
Sync
BM5T-14F239-CF

Front panel for 5 inch screen;
BM51-18835-BE3JA6

#7 ·
If you would like change screen, you should change unit and frame too.. I may also need wiring. So that means I think that, this will not easy/cheap modification.

I do not know which version is selling in US/Canada, but, ford selling different gauge screens in europe. For example my gauge screen was blue dotmatrix. I changed with colored screen equipped gauge. That was is easy job. I already done that. Me too want to change audio screen with multicolor screen but I couldn't find yet. When I find, I will change that screen too. It is on my "to do" list. :). But I do not have any experience at the moment about that mod.

#9 ·
Hi everyone,
I am in Australia ( Brisbane to be precise)
I have a question I was hoping someone could assist with.
I have a Multi Function Display AM5T 18B955 DJ
I was hoping I could fit a Reversing Camera to this unit.
I note there is a small in-put socket, that maybe is used for this purpose.
Can anyone assist ?
Best wishes from the Aussie Cricket Team as well !

Regards
Garyb

#13 ·
Awesome! how difficult was the install and how expensive? It looks like you had to change the entire head unit, buttons and all. I tried using those part numbers on touselyfordparts but nothing came up. I'm guessing because you live elsewhere and your screen choices are different from ours.

Anyway, the biggest reason why I want to change screens is that Im hoping that I could add the OEM usb port to the headunit somehow, which i'm guessing wouldn't work with the 2 line monochrome dealio. Thanks for all the info man!

#14 ·
It is really easy job. I'm living Istanbul/ Turkey. :)

All head units are same. No need to change that. If you would like to add SYNC to your car, you should have to buy;
- facia (BM51-18835-GDW)
- keypad (AM51-18K811-BD)
Bluetooth-Voice control module(8M5T-19C112-BR*) BR is language code. This is German version. English versions last 2 digit should be different. You may find this unit from ebay.co.uk. USB port integrated to BVC module.
Display (AM5T-18B955-BD(Monochrome 3.5 inch= My old display))
Display (AM5T-18B955-DG or DJ (5 inch colour display.)

But if you would like to change only display, you will need only display for 3.5 inch,
but if you like 5 inch you should have to buy facia too. But it is not must.
Note: 5 inch display including internal GPS-Navigation. If you can find US map on SD, you may also use navigation too..

#17 ·
Hi Gary, I know it was a while ago, but did you have any luck adding the backup camera?

#27 ·
Wait.. If these are plug and play what about the screen in between the gauges?

If they can be swapped out that easily then us base model guys could swap them out and buy an upgraded steering wheel and have control of our Traction Control without pulling fuses.

Plus we would have 2 trip counters instead of one :D

Someone should test this out but only if you have the money to risk it..

#36 ·
The only things i can not use are the 4 buttons on either side of the volume knob because i do not have them. So the options show on the screen but i cant use them.

It fixed an issue i had when i hit the next button. It would always seek and i couldn't stop the seeking. i would have to go into the menu and change it to manual. Now it is defaulted to manual tune.

#43 ·
Right guys. I've seen there is a whole discussion on this. I've got the same problem.

I've got the Sport package with all extras. But got the 2 line screen NO SYNC system.

Can I upgrade the screen to either the 3.5" or 4"? What parts will I need and how difficult is to do it?

#48 ·
Anyone try this with an MFT equipped Focus yet? I love MFT but if I could have the Sony plate and 5" touch screen I might opt for that until MFT is truly fixed.

I got MFT not only because I'm a tech guy but also because the standard stack/screen is UGLY in my opinion. If they offered the Sony system w/ 5" touchscreen here I'd have opted for it.

#49 ·
I just bought a 4" color display (CM5T-18B955-CE) from a 202a or 203a Focus for a really good price. I'm going to see if I can make it work in our 201a Focus that came equipped with the monochrome 2-line display.

I'm not too worried about not being able to control the shuffle/scan functions since I won't have buttons for them and I never had them to begin with. The only thing I worry about is being able set the clock without the two little buttons on the display screen itself.

Didn't someone explain the disassembly/assembly process to replace the screen? I can't find it now.

#52 ·
Well.... the 4" color screen is here and installed. It plugs in and works as it should. There is a problem though. The bezels for the 2-line display and the 3.5" monochrome displays are different from the bezels on other systems in that the opening for the screen is actually larger. Consequently, there is an unsightly gap where you can see the silver edge of the screen and a bit of the bracket for the screen :( .

I can't replace the bezel/frame on its own because all systems higher than this one have 9 buttons, which obviously won't work with my 6-button control panel. The only other option for a clean install would be to replace everything including the frame, control panel, and radio. This would replace the button that is currently assigned to sound controls with a phone button, which obviously wouldn't work since it doesn't have any of the other components for bluetooth. I don't really care b/c I don't talk on the phone while driving anyway, but having a phone button that doesn't actually do anything might bug me. I think I'm going to try replacing the whole unit though.

Slightly OT, but during the install, I noticed that the back of the amp/radio control unit itself was really hot even with the car turned off and the key out of the ignition. Too hot for me to touch for more than a couple seconds. Is this normal? The car had been turned off for a couple hours already.

For those wondering, there are a couple features I can access that I couldn't before such as speed compensated volume. The menu system shows options for things like Sirius and other Sync functions. You can click on them, the system will think about it for a minute, and then kick back to whatever you were doing before. No worries of the system crashing by trying to access a feature that's not actually there :) .

Pictures:

Flash Off

Flash On

Bezel on a car that comes with the color screen from the factory

#54 ·
Well.... the 4" color screen is here and installed. It plugs in and works as it should. There is a problem though. The bezels for the 2-line display and the 3.5" monochrome displays are different from the bezels on other systems in that the opening for the screen is actually larger. Consequently, there is an unsightly gap where you can see the silver edge of the screen and a bit of the bracket for the screen :( .

I can't replace the bezel/frame on its own because all systems higher than this one have 9 buttons, which obviously won't work with my 6-button control panel. The only other option for a clean install would be to replace everything including the frame, control panel, and radio.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown including the specifics on the difference in size of bezels.
I have a similarly equipped car and am looking to acquire the enhanced display, but intend to utilize it with a Metra faceplate when I replace the OE stereo.

Are you able to dim the new 4” display as was possible with the original mono unit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.