Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus - Aftermarket Stereo possibilities.

464K views 397 replies 116 participants last post by  Metalcrack 
#1 ·
Okay, it's still very early and the 2012 model is still brand new..

But, for those of us who have bought a Focus, or who are thinking about buying a Focus, with after market audio in mind.. Here is some research I've done explaining different possibilities.

As we know, today's car electronics and stock stereo systems are becoming increasingly complicated. Gone are the days when the radio, was just the radio, and swapping an aftermarket headunit for vastly improved sound was very easy.

These days, it takes a lot more effort, due to the way radios are integrated into the entire car.

As we also know, having an aftermarket headunit with speakers, amp(s) and a couple of subwoofers in the trunk makes for the best sound. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more of a challenge, however with some trims on the 2012+ Focus, it will be possible.

The Focus has several stock stereo options. I am not going to get into full details, but here are the generalities.

(1) Base radio, no sync.

(2) Base radio, with sync.

(3) Sony radio, with sync.

(4) Sony radio with sync & MFT.

The above four options also come with varying amounts of speakers (4, 6, or 10).

Let me just flat out say this. If you are thinking of putting in an after market stereo, there's really no reason to get option (3) or (4). Especially (4). Why spend the extra money on something you are just going to yank out?

If you get option (4), pretty much forget about it. The level of integration (climate control etc.) is so high that you would lose wayyy too much functionality.

Option (3) will be possible, but again, why buy an upgraded sound system just to yank it out. One could argue that you would like to have the 10 speaker system, and then add trunk subwoofers w/ aftermarket HU to it, but I'd argue that 6 speakers are just fine. Just my opinion.

That leaves us with Options (1) and (2), which are the most viable for aftermarket installations.

We all know to install an aftermarket HU, there needs to be a dash kit available to fit either a single or double DIN unit. It also needs to keep any functionality that may be lost when removing the stock dash area.

Looking at the radio in the focus, this appears to be a nightmare. It is weirdly shaped, with buttons that control items on the screen, in addition to a hazard light and lock light buttons. (The annoyances of modern cars... Why are these things on the radio again?)

In looking at possibilities, I stumbled upon some Ford Fiesta material. The Fiesta radio is essentially the same as the Focus radio. See below photo.

So what is available for the Fiesta? A quick search yielded some promising results.

Metra has released a single-din (NO DOUBLE DIN) dash kit for the Fiesta, that includes all buttons needed to keep the functionality of the LCD screen above the radio.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-5825S

Wiring harnesses are also available.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=XSVI-5524-NAV

Option (1) does not include Sync, so a good possibility would be to get an aftermarket headunit with bluetooth for phone, and an aftermarket GPS unit to stick on the windshield. It appears double DIN may not fit on our Focii unfortunately, if it turns out being the same as the Fiesta. So we'll be stuck with Single DIN. Not a big deal in my book.

Option (2) includes Sync, which is a little bit more messy, but there are aftermarket Sync "retention modules" that exist. I haven't done my research on this, but I've heard it works decent enough. I ordered my car with Option (1) to avoid these troubles.

Hope this helps for anyone thinking along the same lines as myself.

See less See more
#278 ·
Guys, I believe for those who purchased the aftermarked stereo and the steering wheel control did not work, you need to purchased a CAN BUS to make it work, I have installed a similar stereo on another car I have a year ago and it's being working well since, including the steering wheel controls, just be aware or heat so I also setup some fans to the unit.

#279 · (Edited)
I am looking to purchase a 2012 SE and most of the ones I have seen don't have the sync stuff. Which is fine but I want something and I have been reading this thread this weekend and it has been great information.

It has been a couple months since Blarson's last post so I wanted to spin this up again as I have seen some more options out there.

Tyso USA - $480 with backup camera
Windows CE OS, good pics on amazon site, looks pretty OEM.
Camera looks huge in the pic so not sure where that goes on the car since I dont have a focus yet :)

Android $544
Saw this posted earlier in the thread but no responses to it.

Koolertron - $469
No other info on this unit

Movewell - $495
one amazonreview with US car had issues with it working may only work with Euro models, dunno, ill probably pass

Metra Kit - $160
Just a dash kit that allows you to install any unit you want.

Otto Navi - $517
Not a ton of info on the amazon site

TF6015A - tradesolution $480
Does lis additional prices in description for some things im not sure what they are.
Built in Digital TV option
DVB-T(MPEG2):$40 USD
ISDB-T(One Seg):$45 USD
TMC option :$25 USD
Wifi USB Dongle , 3G USB Dongle Modem included

Another $350
Does list 4x60W amp vs most others ive seen are 50W. not that means much in terms of quality.

#282 ·
The review of the movewell unit on amazon is me. That unit would not even turn on for me. As far as my experience is concerned all of these Chinese units are nearly identical with a few minor differences. I have personally tried two with poor success.

As far as a CANBUS adapter, I spoke to a member of this forum who has a euro spec focus and is running one of these systems successfully with no CANBUS adapter.

The only one I'm not sure about is the last one on your list as it looks different than all the others. But if it looks like the movewell or the kooltron or the newerstone, they are basically the same thing at different prices. Although one turned on and functioned, while the other did not, so there may just be a slight difference which will make one work perfect with our American cars?? Idk??

If there was a good android system id head that direction. But I'm done spending hundreds of dollars to experiment with these units. It was a hassle and a big let down. I hope something new and good comes out soon. Good luck. Pm me with any questions.

#285 · (Edited)
Which one did you buy? I had the exact same issue with the "movewell" unit sold on amazon. The lock unlock and hazard buttons worked but the rest of the unit was completely dead. After weeks of sending pictures emails and testing the unit, I sent it back. They then emailed me and said it powered right up. Very frustrating. I am pretty sure all of their development for these units were done on the euro spec cars which must be different in some way. I hope you can figure it out and get it to work, but I had no such success. My advise, don't wast almost a month of time with the company like I did and just send it back Monday. You can PM me with any other q's. I think I am one of the few if not the only guy who has tried two different Chinese units(both failed, one more than the other).

Knowing how these Chinese companies work they probably sent you my old unit. Lol

#286 ·
I have carefully read this thread, and it is interesting.
The Chinese equipment look great, but are very risky, there is always something that does not work.
I live in Europe and I have a European spec Focus, but I wonder if for you who live in North America, would not be easier to buy an OEM used full unit at a junkyard?

#294 ·
Being that your from James' neck of the woods, "down under", the movewell system may work great for you. Although, it wouldn't even turn on for me.

That unit appears to be basically the exact same thing as the other Chinese units. So buy with caution.

I didn't want to go with the metra kit (allowing pioneer, alpine etc.) because I thought it looked bad. It looks way too far from oem in my opinion, and not in a good way.

#297 ·
2013 focus custom Stereo

I have a Custom Sound system I'm looking to Sell If anyone is interested.
Custom fiberglass box, custom door panels, 5 amps, 12 speakers etc...
Will put out spl of 130+db

Attachments

#299 ·
Jbuntin,
All I can say is wow. That it awesome! Is your whole car dyno matted? I just have 2 12"s and one amp. And I am chasing rattles. I can't imagine how the car handles that^. I love those door enclosures! Are you going to make more or selling the ones you have?

#300 ·
I have a couple rattles that I've had to quiet. Other than that all had been well. I would like to sell the whole system. I have the dash kit and sync interface as well. I am selling the door panels with the speaker enclosures or I would do a partial trade for standard panels. The enclosure bolts to the door it's solid as a rock and that way It doesn't rattle. It allows use of a 6 1/2 and 8" speaker in each door.

#310 ·
The Metra kit seems to be somewhat popular here so I thought I would add how I set up my girlfriend's focus. I tried to be somewhat comprehensive to alleviate some questions since I don't visit this board often. I wanted to share though since everyone here has been a wealth of knowledge in my decision making.

The what:
2012 Ford Focus SEL with SYNC
Metra 99-5827B trim panel
40-EU10 antenna adapter
FRST-2 wiring harness
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH headunit
CD-IU51V ipod cable

The how:
Most of the installation was fairly straight forward. If you follow the instructions for the radio and wiring harness it is basically connecting the like colored wires to each other. I connected all of the standard wires for power, speakers, speed sensor, etc.

I am having problems with the illumination not changing when the headlights turn on, but I am working with a technician from Metra to solve the issue. I will likely have to just splice into the running light wire or an interior footwell light if we can't get it solved.

I also bypassed the parking brake wire for the navigation. I moved the mute wire down one pin and connected it and the parking brake wire to ground and now we have full NAV functionality while driving. If you have questions about this there are numerous videos and threads on other forums.

I ran the iPod cable into the center console through the space at the top of the console on the sides. I had to remove the cup holder and the passenger side trim panel in order to have room to work. It was a pain but it works like a charm. The microphone and the GPS antenna I mounted by the rear view mirror. It is easier if you start at the top and work down. I attached them where I wanted them and then tucked the wires in the headliner, ran them down inside the pillar moulding and through the dash over to the radio. There was still a ton of cable left over that I coiled up and ziptied. I think it came out very well. I think we definitely made the right choice with this headunit too, it is wonderful.

The USB port in the console still charges but we haven't tested it for data or the line in since we either use an iPod, iPhone, or connect to the headunit with bluetooth. Although, the way the FRST-2 connects to the radio it leads me to believe the stock plug-ins are retained.

Pictures:

I guess since this is my first post and all I'll include the actual car too.

#313 ·
Hey guys I've got kind of a dumb question maybe y'all can help me with.

I'm just trying to determine what speaker setup my new focus is going to have? I just ordered it. It's an SE with Sync, no MyFord Touch, and it has the $195 Satellite Radio option. Is that a 4 speaker or 6 speaker system? If it's 6 what are the other two speakers; two tweeters?

#316 ·
Thanks guys! Once I GET the car I'll know how many speakers it has. I passed kidnergarten. I can count all the way to eleventy! I was just curious if anyone knew 'what to expect'.

Aftermarket is definitely better. But the stock doesn't sound too bad. I've got a mild aftermarket setup in my current car. Aftermarket speakers and head unit. Works for me! But honestly, OEM sound systems have gotten so much better in the past few years.

#320 ·
FWIW I searched and couldn't find this situation.

I have a couple week old '13 SE with Sync MyFord, but not MFT. I have about 8,000 tracks in MP3 format loaded on a 64 GB flash drive.

Music is organised like this:

Artist
Album1
Track1
Track2

It plays fine and I can use voice commands to play artists and albums.

When I say "Play track Rocky Raccoon"

Sync replies "Track commands are not available for this device"

Is this a limitation based on the quantity of tracks? Is there some way to organize folders/files so it works? Scrolling through artists and albums on the display is a huge PITA!

Thanks!

#325 ·
Hi All,
A Couple of questions, as I am newbie to Ford.
Can I assume that the Sync is built into the stereo??
Thus replacing the Head unit with an after market would eliminate the Sync?
If the sync is not incorporated into radio, is there a way to keep the functionality with adapters etc and an aftermarket head unit?

If I wanted to keep the current head unit (base with sync), can I just add on the Sony sub, which is readily available on ebay.
Any other info to be donated would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

#326 ·
Sync is actually separate. I think you can buy adapters that still keep it's functionality with an aftermarket deck. You can read about adding the sony sub HERE. I recently added the Sony XDP-PK1000. The price was right and it keeps all of the stock functionality. I'm sure it's not the best, but it probably sounds at least as good as adding in the stock sony sub.

This thread is great for adding in an amp/LOC without needing to cut any of the factory wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.