Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus - Aftermarket Stereo possibilities.

464K views 397 replies 116 participants last post by  Metalcrack 
#1 ·
Okay, it's still very early and the 2012 model is still brand new..

But, for those of us who have bought a Focus, or who are thinking about buying a Focus, with after market audio in mind.. Here is some research I've done explaining different possibilities.

As we know, today's car electronics and stock stereo systems are becoming increasingly complicated. Gone are the days when the radio, was just the radio, and swapping an aftermarket headunit for vastly improved sound was very easy.

These days, it takes a lot more effort, due to the way radios are integrated into the entire car.

As we also know, having an aftermarket headunit with speakers, amp(s) and a couple of subwoofers in the trunk makes for the best sound. Unfortunately, this is becoming more and more of a challenge, however with some trims on the 2012+ Focus, it will be possible.

The Focus has several stock stereo options. I am not going to get into full details, but here are the generalities.

(1) Base radio, no sync.

(2) Base radio, with sync.

(3) Sony radio, with sync.

(4) Sony radio with sync & MFT.

The above four options also come with varying amounts of speakers (4, 6, or 10).

Let me just flat out say this. If you are thinking of putting in an after market stereo, there's really no reason to get option (3) or (4). Especially (4). Why spend the extra money on something you are just going to yank out?

If you get option (4), pretty much forget about it. The level of integration (climate control etc.) is so high that you would lose wayyy too much functionality.

Option (3) will be possible, but again, why buy an upgraded sound system just to yank it out. One could argue that you would like to have the 10 speaker system, and then add trunk subwoofers w/ aftermarket HU to it, but I'd argue that 6 speakers are just fine. Just my opinion.

That leaves us with Options (1) and (2), which are the most viable for aftermarket installations.

We all know to install an aftermarket HU, there needs to be a dash kit available to fit either a single or double DIN unit. It also needs to keep any functionality that may be lost when removing the stock dash area.

Looking at the radio in the focus, this appears to be a nightmare. It is weirdly shaped, with buttons that control items on the screen, in addition to a hazard light and lock light buttons. (The annoyances of modern cars... Why are these things on the radio again?)

In looking at possibilities, I stumbled upon some Ford Fiesta material. The Fiesta radio is essentially the same as the Focus radio. See below photo.

So what is available for the Fiesta? A quick search yielded some promising results.

Metra has released a single-din (NO DOUBLE DIN) dash kit for the Fiesta, that includes all buttons needed to keep the functionality of the LCD screen above the radio.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/99-5825S

Wiring harnesses are also available.

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=XSVI-5524-NAV

Option (1) does not include Sync, so a good possibility would be to get an aftermarket headunit with bluetooth for phone, and an aftermarket GPS unit to stick on the windshield. It appears double DIN may not fit on our Focii unfortunately, if it turns out being the same as the Fiesta. So we'll be stuck with Single DIN. Not a big deal in my book.

Option (2) includes Sync, which is a little bit more messy, but there are aftermarket Sync "retention modules" that exist. I haven't done my research on this, but I've heard it works decent enough. I ordered my car with Option (1) to avoid these troubles.

Hope this helps for anyone thinking along the same lines as myself.

See less See more
#2 ·
For those who are interested.. The first people on the Fiesta boards have got some install pics of the Metra dash kit.

Granted I'm not a huge fan of it.. But it seems like in due time, we will definetely have options to add an aftermarket headunit, while retaining the door lock/hazard light buttons.

This guy has the base radio (identical to the '12 Focus) and he's stated he has "no problems".. I've asked him to elaborate on whether or not the door lock, hazard, info & menu buttons work to control the little screen above.. waiting on his response. The thread is here:

http://fiestafaction.com/forums/ice-car-entertainment/34256-dash-kit-finally-available.html

Some of the guys who have installed it with the Sync package say not everything is working.. which is unfortunate, so for the time being it looks as though those of us with the base package will have the easiest go at it (not suprising).

Here is a pic of the '12 Focus base radio for reference. As you can see, very similar. I've contacted Metra and they are working on developing a kit for it.

#8 ·
This is definetely the easier method, however, in most cases an aftermarket headunit will always sound better than a stock headunit + LOC. In addition, aftermarket headunits can be purchased with features like Nav, bluetooth, USB integration. The base model headunit does not have any of these.

As far as using the factory dash kit from the Sony system to use with an aftermarket headunit, I doubt it would work as standardized mounting brackets are probably not present in the stock dash kit. It would most likely have to be modded to be able to hold an aftermarket radio.

#7 ·
the way it looks, if someone would just figure a way to use the factory dash kit for a sony system with the touch screen the way it is, that would seem like it would work. can anyone tell me how big the head unti from the myford touch is? 7"?

#10 ·
With products like the JBL MS-8 and the new Rockford Fosgate 3SIXTY.3 (not released yet) there is no reason IMO to replace complex factory head units anymore. Personally I would go with the MFT setup or factory radio with sync if you want a lower trim model and using these devices to do all the sound processing. These are HIGHLY complex devices that not only allow you to retain a factory look (less theft!) but also drastically improves the sound overall in the vehicle. You could keep everything factory on say a Focus SE with sync and install a JBL MS-8 and you would notice a SIGNIFICANT improvement in sound since it has an onboard 8ch amp AND flattens the terrible Ford factory eq and will even auto eq the car for you (home theater technology)

I have been in the mobile electronics world now for 8 years now and most aftermarket head units are being stripped of their nicer eq settings and or crossover adjustments in lieu of connectivity. Alpine and Pioneer have seen a sharp decline in overall quality over the past 4 years. They are still good radios but not like they were in 04 or 05.

With all the new vehicles coming out and how the audio system is integrated with everything else in the vehicle you are going to start seeing OEM integration is the future. I have been preaching this for years now. Granted some of the new dash kits have gotten a lot nicer but costs have sky rocketed. Recently I installed a new double din head unit in a 2011 Camaro and the dash kit/harness combo was over 300 dollars.

#11 ·
I would agree with complication of removing an integrated system like sync. I have the El Cheapo S not no sync. I would like to move up to touch screen system. Yes there are many OE system tap systems. For $300 my cost I can get a Sony DVD touch screen with BT. I understand why the focus might not be the top on the list for aftermarket installs. I think most people who buy a Focus will have the entry lvl sync or have the real MFD system.

Does anyone know if the radio harness is the same as the Fiesta. I might get a ReQ and Parrot setup.

FYI Sirius off the phone via BT is a better experience that a full tuner on my daily commute. No cut outs when going under bridges.

#13 ·
That kit looks interesting, I found the actual manufacturer here for some better pics..

http://www.acvgmbh.de/shop3/product_info.php?info=p2877_381114-23-1-x.html

The kit seems to look nice.. but I'm wondering if they have any solution for the door lock/hazard button. I'm not seeing any switch integrated in the kit and that makes it unusable. Can't lose the functionality of those two buttons. I may email the manufacturer to see what their thoughts are on that. Because the kit looks very complete, it includes everything to even keep the steering wheel controls.

#17 ·
That is indeed interesting. Thanks for the link. My only concern is the wiring... how exactly do the buttons wire up so that they'd actually work?

In all honesty, if someone explained how to get those 2 buttons to work, I'd go ahead and order that entire dash package right now. I already have 2 ten inch subs and amp waiting to be installed. Basically just waiting on a working dash package to come out.

#18 ·
Well I went ahead and e-mailed these "ACV" people and got a response.

I have a question concerning the product found at the following link:

http://www.acvgmbh.de/shop3/product_info.php?info=p2877_381114-23-1-x.html

As you can see from the picture of the stereo, there is a "door lock" button and "hazard light" button integrated into the radio. Upon removal of the radio, these buttons are no longer present.

Does product 381114-23-1-x include replacement "door lock" and "hazard light" buttons with appropriate wiring? Are they pictured?

I am interested in ordering this product, however, if the replacement facia plate does not include the "door lock" and "hazard light" buttons, then unfortunately it will be unusable.

Thanks for your help.
Response:

Hi Chris,

the facia is excluding the hazard light button.

You need additional the Ford part number 15 19 127.

Best regards Mark
A quick search came up with this: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Genuine-Ford-New-Fiesta-Hazard-Light-Switch-Door-Lock-/320636605882

It is for the Fiesta, but is identical to the one in the Focus. Therefore, I'm wondering if the door lock and hazard switches can be removed, and if so, do they have a separate harness going to them?

I asked a guy on the Fiesta forums who probably knows the answer to this. Will wait for his response. In the mean time I found this nice instruction manual for the Fiesta.

http://www.pioneer.pl/files/eur/car_acc_db/fascia_plate/381114-20-B.pdf

#24 ·
Well I went ahead and e-mailed these "ACV" people and got a response.

Response:

A quick search came up with this: http://www.ebay.in/itm/Genuine-Ford-New-Fiesta-Hazard-Light-Switch-Door-Lock-/320636605882

It is for the Fiesta, but is identical to the one in the Focus. Therefore, I'm wondering if the door lock and hazard switches can be removed, and if so, do they have a separate harness going to them?

I asked a guy on the Fiesta forums who probably knows the answer to this. Will wait for his response. In the mean time I found this nice instruction manual for the Fiesta.

http://www.pioneer.pl/files/eur/car_acc_db/fascia_plate/381114-20-B.pdf
well im trying to order because i want to be the test monkey for this but i cant figure out how to. lol if someone can help me. ill order one and let everyone know if it works

#20 ·
that bottom cutout looks like the space for your buttons, good sir. You probably just have to re-use them there. Also, this looks like a neat piece, and looks like it'll integrate any double din into the dash as well as the MFT looks when equipped with it. So I'm guessing this retains the upper screen then? Or is it effectively a cubby hole after the conversion...

#21 ·
Yeah I think it retains the upper screen, on the base model it becomes a glorified time/date LCD readout.

You're right, it looks like there's perfect space for the buttons, but there's one hangup: they are attached to the stereo. Here's a pic of the Fiesta radio taken out so you can see what I mean.

So the issue becomes.. can you take the buttons out of the stereo? And is there separate wiring for the buttons so they can plug back in?

#23 ·
#31 ·
You can reporgram the time, but not the date. You need the arrows and the "ok" button (also on the radio) to reprogram the date. Thats pretty unfortunate. Metra has a kit for the Fiesta that includes all the buttons, but it's butt ugly. Best bet would be custom mounting something else up there where the clock display is using the ACV kit. $$$

#29 ·
been doing some research and found a car audio place in PA that deals with acv and they are gonna get in touch with them and get back with me tomorrow on pricing and someone that has the capabilities to install my double din radio. more details to come later

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.