Remote start: Wont start after being immediately turned off - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 81376
What I Drive: 2005 Black Focus Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 focusblack05 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Remote start: Wont start after being immediately turned off

Last night we started the car with our remote, aftermarket, car starter and let it warm up. We drove 3 miles and turned the car off to run in the house. Since my infant son and wife were in the car as I walked to the door I hit the car starter. Nothing happened. Inside the car the security lock light on the dash started to blink as did the battery light. Also there was a lot of clicking noise. We have had the aftermarket starter for 4 years and never had a problem with it.

I came back to the car and I put the key in the ignition and turned it and nothing happened. The Clicking continued (with key in or out didnt matter) as did some blinking dummy lights on the dash. At this point we tried to "recode" the starter keys per the manual and it didnt work.

By now the kid and wife were cold so I loaded them in our 2nd car and drove them to the inlaws and then went back to try again. At this point the radio would turn on and the windshield wipers but thats its. Nothing else happened. Nothing. Left it overnight and tried it again today and nothing has changed.

We thought that since we turned the car off and immediately we went to start it that it might be an issue with the kill switch needing to "reset" but I am guessing that isnt the issue now.

Any advice? Giant storm on the way as well as it being a Sunday and we have a dead car in the driveway.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 33,333, Level 100
Points: 33,333, Level: 100 Points: 33,333, Level: 100 Points: 33,333, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Did you wire the remote starter? Those have to bypass the PATS in order to start the car. Apparently that bypass is failed now. It could be the module or it could be a fuse.

I'm going to move this to Car Audio and Electronics. I have no real idea how these things are wired because I've never installed one, but I'm sure someone in that forum can help you. I'll also reword the thread title so you'll get specialized help.

To help you better it would be good if you knew the brand name of the remote starter module- Audiovox, whatever.

Moved to Car Audio and Electronics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You're special aren't you.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Captain TMI

Points 33,333, Level 100
Points: 33,333, Level: 100 Points: 33,333, Level: 100 Points: 33,333, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
FF Reputation: 274 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
You might want to search this forum using advanced search to see if you can find something related to remote start problems- you're not the first person to have problems with these. It could be as simple as a fuse, so that's where I'd start.

Quote:

Old 12-25-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Focus Rookie

I think the brand is Viper, and I am not sure how it is installed at the time we took it to Circuit city to install it
Old 12-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #5
Captain TMI

Points 33,333, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
You might be screwed. I hate to tell you that, but I've been searching the CAE forum for remote start posts, but I'm not finding that anyone had a resolution for it. I might be able to walk you through what might've been done, but you'll need to be there with the car- and have a mind for electrical. It should not be a difficult job to disconnect it.

Have you checked to see if it's a blown fuse to the remote start module? Would you know if you spotted something that wasn't factory as far as wiring in the back of a fuse box? Do you have the factory owner's manual (it's the only place you can look to locate fuses and relays)?

Quote:
Old 12-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Focus Rookie

I do have the manual. And will have to look tomorrow (before storm) since its pitch black and in the teens right now.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #7
Captain TMI

Points 33,333, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
This thread might help- but I'm not sure of your transmission.

Viper remote start

You're positive it's not something completely stupid like the transmission not being in Park or N right?

Quote:
Old 12-25-2010, 09:12 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
You might be screwed. I hate to tell you that, but I've been searching the CAE forum for remote start posts, but I'm not finding that anyone had a resolution for it. I might be able to walk you through what might've been done, but you'll need to be there with the car- and have a mind for electrical. It should not be a difficult job to disconnect it.

Have you checked to see if it's a blown fuse to the remote start module? Would you know if you spotted something that wasn't factory as far as wiring in the back of a fuse box? Do you have the factory owner's manual (it's the only place you can look to locate fuses and relays)?
Define screwed....like have to have the car starter uninstalled or need to have a new starter put in or the car is just toast......
Old 12-25-2010, 09:28 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynotthinkwhynot View Post
This thread might help- but I'm not sure of your transmission.

Viper remote start

You're positive it's not something completely stupid like the transmission not being in Park or N right?
Yeah definitly...I had a couple people come and check to make sure that the car is actually in Park.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
Captain TMI

Points 33,333, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 34%
I really don't know. If it were me, I'd uninstall the remote starter to get moving again. However, I'm also a master electrician with 20 years experience, and you might not be. If I'd ever installed one of these, I could tell you how to uninstall it. As it is, I can guess how to uninstall it, and we might be able to get your car going again after many hours of pain and suffering.

The car itself is not dead. Just the starter. No matter what has been done, it can be undone. For all I know it's a simple matter of the battery terminal being loose, and has nothing to do with the starter. The PATS signal flashing, from what I understand, is normal. That is supposed to be bypassed- that much I know how to check. There's an ignition relay that must be bypassed in order for the remote start to work. You should be able to find re-wiring there.

My battery is dying, brb

Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.