Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How-To: Focus Amplifier Install

62K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  ferret15 
#1 ·
Good sticky, nice pics.

I found a easier way to run the amp power wire into the cabin. There is a small unused plug in the door jamb on both sides. It comes out behind the kick panels. The plug is far enough foreward so that the wire tucks into the fender and is out of the way of any moving parts. I will try and put up a pic later today. I like it because it doesnt require any drilling.

I ran my wire from the batt up through the top of the fender in the channel between the outer and inner fenders, through the door jamb plug and then like your sticky shows. My wires are 100% hidden and you cant even tell from under the hood that I added a amp. Looks very clean, the amp is under the driver seat. I gotta run and go buy bathroom accents for the new apartment ( not my choice for a day off ) but it keeps the peace......more later

#2 ·
Thanks for the information. However, I was already aware of this method. I HIGHLY discourage anyone doing this. It is MUCH more prone to damge because it's exposed in the fender (lots of things can happen there such as flying rocks and possible weathering) and a lot of people then run it down the hood jam as seen in this http://www.jwardell.com/focus/amp.html which is a hazzard. That's why I discourage this method so greatly.

- Scott

#3 ·
if you have a duratec watch out where you drill for your power wire through the firewall... where pyro specified there are metal BREAK LINES.... just be careful.. i routed my powerwire between them... you just have to be careful when you drill..

#5 ·
crazy_urn: sorry, i forgot to add that note. they aren't all pictures from foci. i had to peice together pictures to get everything i needed since i don't have a focus anymore. some of the pictures are of a focus, one is of a ranger, and a few are from a taurus (the HU pictures are). if anyone has some clear pictures of the same thing in a focus i'll update it. otherwise, i don't think it affects the understanding of the installation so i'll just keep them up there.

Millertyme: thanks for the info, i added that info to the how-to.

- Scott

#8 ·
I ve got a 2003 Ford Focus ZTS and Im tryin to install an amp and subs with the blankput mp3 player, i got the rca hooked up fine, tyme for tha power cable you said to drill through the clutch plate in doing that do you have to peal back the carpet? FYI ITS AN AUTOMATIC, and as far as runnin the cables to the back is it better to use the bottom trim pieces rather than the top?Thanx for any of your help

#11 ·
because if it's not... say 30" away, mounted behind the fuse box or something... and the wire get's snagged from the fuse holder, or if the power cord get's spiced or cut and get's in contact with the frame... your gonna have loud crackling noises that will either 1) scare the crap out of you if your within range. or 2) melt and damage metal frame and other things that you might need to keep your car running as it should.

#16 ·
I wish I would have seen this a few weeks ago. I spent about an hour wondering where to route the power wire through the firewall. I ended up going through the clutch filler plate... and I thought I was a pioneer of this method... I guess not! Well I guess great minds think alike after all...

#17 ·
Hi Folks . New Focus Fanatic. Always been a Ford guy, but this is my first Focus. 07 SES Sedan. I love this car. Sure beats the Ranger I traded for it.
My question, though, is whether an amp/subwoofer assembly from an 04 Focus will fit in my car and if so, do I need any rewiring? Thanks all..

#22 ·
Hey guys. I am brand new to this forum, and I was looking for something exactly like this. However, I don't seem to be able to see any of the pictures or steps at the start of this thread. Was it deleted?
This thread was posted almost 10 years ago so it's no wonder there are no pictures.

The fender wire run is fairly straightforward. The most difficult part is pulling the wire through the fender (need a stiff feed line to pull wire through; I used a coat hanger) and fitting the larger size wires through the grommet into the cabin on the drivers' side.

#23 ·
It is easier to push the wire through the firewall into the engine compartment FWIW

#25 ·
This thread was posted almost 10 years ago so it's no wonder there are no pictures.

The fender wire run is fairly straightforward. The most difficult part is pulling the wire through the fender (need a stiff feed line to pull wire through; I used a coat hanger) and fitting the larger size wires through the grommet into the cabin on the drivers' side.
[read]

#26 ·
I know this is an old thread, and this is also my first post, but I thought my update for it was valid so here it is. I am installing an amp in our 06 ST sedan. I dont like over the fender installs because for one I dont like having that wire in an area with potential for damage/shorting and also because it looks like crap. What I did is drill a hole about 1" to the right (in engine bay) of the throttle cable. There is room to fit a drill there from the inside of the car and you can then run the wire up under the dash to wherever you want. I will post pics for any interested people, but its pretty straight forward. Definitely need to use a grommet! Puts the power cable nice and close to the battery tray.

#27 ·
X's 3 now.

Drill the hole, use a grommet, seal with silicone.

Do it right or, pay someone to do it right.

#28 ·
If its an automatic- Clutch pedal plug, drill through.
If its a manual- Go higher and punch through harness grommet.
If thats to much work (which it can be) then just drill a hole.

Your going to have more trouble fishing it through the stupid cardboard fiber mat thing. I usually run a thin piece of safety wire through my route first and pull it through. As mentioned its always better if you can get some rtv around the hole just seal it back up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.