Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to remove 2008 Ford Focus Radio

337K views 94 replies 67 participants last post by  MADMIKE2017 
#1 ·
I made a post in an earlier thread that I successfully was able to remove the radio unit in my 2008 Ford Focus and some people wanted to see pictures on how I did this. If you've seen the 2008 Focus's dash unit you know it looks pretty intimidating to remove. After playing around a bit I was able to remove it with no special "DIN tools." The only thing you'll need is a flathead screwdriver, a 7mm ratchet wrench, and a little bit of carefulness and patience.

1) You want to start off by pulling the e-brake all the way up as far as you can. I also found it helps to put the key in the ignition (you don't need to start it) and put your automatic transmission into D or L. This will just make it easier when you pull off the plastic that surround it.

2). Open the middle storage compartment and pry the plastic up with a flathead screwdriver (see picture below).

3) Once you remove the center plastic that surrounds the e-brake and shift stick you need to remove the 2 screws that secure the bottom of the radio unit into place (please see the below picture).

4) Using a flathead screwdriver pry the plastic plate on the passenger side (where the airbag is located). This won't come all the way off, as there's a screw keeping it from doing so. You should be able to to get it off enough to be able to remove the radio.

5) Remove the two screws holding the plastic that surrounds the steering wheel.

6) Lower the steering wheel all the way and remove this plastic.

7) Remove the vents above the top of the radio dash unit.

8) Remove the two screws holding the radio in place.

9) Starting from the bottom begin to pull the dash unit out.

I hope this helps for anyone who wants to try this. I apologize for not knowing technical words for things or for my lack of explanations. I hope the pictures speak pretty much for themselves. Good luck!

See less See more
#3 ·
Whoa - nice write-up and gutsy move: improvisationally tearin' up the console and dash of your brand-new car! I'd be far too squeamish for that. (That stereo must not sound all that good, huh? EDIT - oh, I just found your other thread re: Sirius. Got it.)

#6 · (Edited)
Now the question is...can i go to a junkyard and find an 08 with with the same color interior and swap out my steering wheel with one that has the control buttons and a radio that has Sync and a 6-disc?????!

Oh and the mirror since thats where the mic is for the phone. Im also guessing that all the wiring is pre ran as part of the harness for the whole 08 foci series and i can just "Plug & Play".

#15 ·
So I just purchased a 2008 SES today. Love SYNC. Question is, my 00 se had a sony head w/ipod cable to glovebox. Can I do that with the stock unit? Other models seem to have connection thru console. Please advise.

You should be able to plug your iPod directly into the auxiliary port or the USB port.

#13 ·
here is the info on the metra kit...

Metra part # 99-5816

Also, on A/T vehicles you do not need to put your key in the ignition to move the shifter, look to the front right corner of the shifter bezel, you will see a small plastic "block" that pops out, under that is the override button for the shifter interlock, you can stick your key, screwdriver, whatever in there and then move the shifter like normal.

#17 ·
Hey guys,
I am new to the site, and let me start by saying that this tread is exactly what i was looking for, thanks. I just have a couple of question. Can i hook up a amp to the factory stereo? Is there a amp turn on lead wire on the back and audio output connection? Thanks to this tread, i now know how to take the stereo out, but i don't want to take everything apart until i know for sure that i can hook up a amp. If someone can post a pic on the back of the stereo, it would be great. Thanks in Advance.

JCR

#18 ·
First off I would like to say welcome[welcome]

And yes you can wire up an amp. You need to go buy an LOC(Line output converter). You can buy one of these at your local best but or circuit city. Should cost around $30-$40. You will tap into your rear speaker wires behind the stereo. This will give you your RCA's. As for the Turn on, you can just run a wire to a fuse that is in use when the car is on, such as gauges(may work not sure), but something like that. The rest of the amp wiring is normal.

Hope that helps. Rep is always nice.

#20 ·
when i was wiring my amp, i used a LOC from the local radio shop. it was an axxis and so far it has not had any problems. it was easy to install. you can reach the wires from your trunk. what i did was i took out the side panels in the trunk, then opened the back seat. i found the wiring harness that had the speakers in it. If you look closely enough you can see the rear speakers, if you have an 08 coupe. and i followed them to a easy to access location. i spliced the wires from the LOC into these and did the basic amp hook up and it sounds great

#22 ·
Thanks a lot for the pictures. They helped a lot for wiring in my sub and amp. I found that the easiest way to wire a remote turn on, ( JCR ), is to go to your local auto parts store (i went to autozone) and get an Add-A-Circuit, and just run that from an unused fuse under the dash. (mini add-a-circuit's are about $6-$12 depending on where you go).

#29 ·
You can buy a line out converter that plugs into hte back of it and that will be your RCAs you need to do your amp......

Im doing this shortly (tonight and tomorrow) and will say how hard it is

#31 ·
also, will pulling off the cover where the airbag is cause any problems with the airbag or cause it to deploy? I see in previous years, "how to's" will tell you to disconnect the battery to prevent the airbag from going off. is this something I should worry about??

thanks!

#85 ·
I know this is a really old thread, but I'm trying to fix the aux port that finally gave up on my 2009 Focus SE and am worried about the airbag part. I've always been good with working on sound systems, but just curious if I should worry about the airbag going off or breaking because I popped this panel off.

Thank you

#34 ·
yeah it's possible...I have that done on my '11 Focus SE. I just used a LOC(Line-Out Converter) to get the RCA's and then put a switch on a 12V+ source to get the remote for the amp...pretty simple once you removed the dash and it works great! I suggest getting something to boost the voltage output level for the RCA's...i used an equalizer that gives 7 volt rca output. good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.