Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To: Antenna Base Removal on 05-07 (Detailed Pics)

62K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  A Focused Family 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, I know there is a How To on this already, but it’s kind of crappy and it’s a little different on the 05+ foci. I had to replace mine today because my dad broke mine off yesterday brushing off the snow. So here it goes:

Tools/Supplies:
T25 torx bit or screwdriver
Regular Flat screwdriver (preferably smaller)
Phillips #2 bit or screwdriver
New Antenna base (~$12 at the stealership)

Step 1: Pop out the dome light and disconnect it.
To do this, just take your flat head and pry it out starting in the front. It Comes out very easily. Then remove the two plugs from it, they just pull off.

Step 2: Remove the Torx Screw
Up inside behind the dome light, you will see a torx screw and what looks like a wire attached to it. Unscrew this and the antenna base will be free.

Note: Be careful with this screw, there is a washer on it that you can't loose.

Step 3: Clean area and have a helper hold the new base in place.
You will need to have someone hold the new base in place to keep it aligned while you screw the torx screw back in.

Note: On mine, there is a scuff around the perimeter from the old one, this pic makes it look worse than it is, and I will be waxing it when the weather is nicer.

Step 4: Re-install the screw with the washer on it.
For me, this was the hardest part. It is on a funny angle and I ended up taking the whole over head console off to get better access. It is only 5 Phillips screws and it just pulls down off of there. Be sure not to over-tighten the screws!

Note: There is also a plastic clip kind of thing that helps align the base, mine came out when I was drying the area around it. Here is a pic of it; it just clips back in through the roof.

Step 5: Reverse the steps to take down the OHC and dome light and you're finished!

This took me about 20 mins tops and that was including the time to stop and take pics for this How To.

Good luck and I have a few more detailed pics of some things if anyone is confused about something.

See less See more
#8 ·
Help

This is exactly what I've been looking for. I've been trying to remove my antenna because I want to install the XM satellite radio, but I CANNOT remove the antenna... before I go ahead and do this can anyone suggest how I simply unscrew the antenna from the roof before I remove the interior light assembly??

#10 ·
This is exactly what I've been looking for. I've been trying to remove my antenna because I want to install the XM satellite radio, but I CANNOT remove the antenna... before I go ahead and do this can anyone suggest how I simply unscrew the antenna from the roof before I remove the interior light assembly??

If I'm understanding your question correctly, can't you just unscrew the antenna mast by turning it counter clockwise?

#11 ·
Thanks for this! I was cleaning the snow off my tenant's car last Monday and snapped the antenna off her 06 Focus. I went to the local Stealership and ordered the parts and asked them what they would charge to put it on and was told 1 1/2 hours of labor at $89/hour! So, between parts and labor he quoted me about $200! I bought the base and the new antenna for a total of $45 and it took me 10 minutes after looking at this thread. Thanks again! You just saved me from getting ripped off by Thomas Ford in Beverly, MA! [thumb]

#12 ·
Nice step by step instructions! Same thing just happened to me this morning, brushing snow off the roof. Must have been the cold temperature (-2°F), snapped right off, LOL. I think there might have been some corrosion because I tried taking the antenna off the base earlier this fall and would not budge. I will probably use a little dab of anti-seize on the new parts. Oh, what happened to the pictures mentioned in the original post?

#14 ·
i had the pics uploaded on cardomain, but i deleted my account. If anyone needs them, send me a PM and i can email them to you.

Reactions: bogieb
#15 ·
Just the info I need - I just bought a Focus in which the antennae was snapped off. Didn't notice when I looked the car over (I have more important things to worry about than tunes), I'll be referring back to this when I get a new base/antenna!

#17 ·
Ah well, the written instructions should be enough - just need to get my hands on a new unit.

#18 ·
While looking for something else, ran into a couple of youtube videos. Looks pretty straight forward. Ordered the base and antennae and should be here in a couple of days, I'll see if I can keep my life from sukking [grinking]

#19 ·
Ford charges like 35 bucks for that stupid antenna.

Base is 9 bucks. In stock at local dealerships. May be cheaper on the interwebs.

Easiest way is if you have a salvage yard local keep an eye out. Takes like 5 minutes. I've replaced 4 in the last 2 years on Focus I've had lol.

#20 ·
Ordered base and antenna (separate suppliers - less for both than Ford wants for antenna). Got the base in Friday and installed it today. Easy-peasy. Now just waiting for the antenna to be delivered and I'll be in business [headbang]

#21 ·
Hey guys! I don't mean to beat a dead horse with this, but I assume the steps are the same with the automatic sunroof? I've got an 05 ZX5 with the sunroof and I snapped the antenna off the other day cleaning snow off of it. I even bought a shorty antenna to try and avoid this since my father snapped the antenna off of his Foci doing the same thing!

I peeked around YT and on here, but it seems like the step-by-steps are all on Foci with no sunroof.

Thanks guys!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.