lowering - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2004, 06:38 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1872
What I Drive: 01 Silver zx3

FF Reputation: 1 fezzer0014 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
lowering

if i wanted to lower my focus how would i go about it? how much will it cost? is this work to be done by a professional or an at homer? what are the gains? what are the downfalls? thanks.

my baby didn‘t survive the accident =(
but now i have an 01 zx3 =)
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1213
What I Drive: silver 01 zx3

FF Reputation: 1 drewzx3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
You change the springs..It could be done at home but it takes a couple of hours probaly.Gains better handling.Downfalls you may lose a little ride quality.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:52 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 411
What I Drive: '89 Volvo 744Ti

FF Reputation: 1 Zarelli6 Good Standing Member
yeah do it at home, haha right. unless your a mechanic with the right tools to tune the camber kit then you should NOt do it at home. badly tuned camber is a great way to ruin tires quicker and unevenly.
anyways i advise you get a pro to do it unless you really know what your doing. itll run you in anywhere from 150 (goldlines) to 250 (eibach pro's). some people do struts too, which is more expensive but is a good idea. (much more expensive). not as comfy a ride, but youll be able to handle loads better. hope i helped

Last edited by Zarelli6; 01-08-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-08-2004, 08:05 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 408
What I Drive: 84 Stang / 03 Focus SE / 04 F150 /

FF Reputation: 2 Twofocused Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Its an easy job to replace the rears. On the front if your going to replace the spring and strut as a unit it is also pretty simple. The problem is when you have to disassemble the front strut from the spring to reuse the strut on the new spring. At a minimum you need a bench vise, spring compresser, and a second set of hands.

Dont screw around with a spring under tension, you could be seriously injured or even lose your life.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:51 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 948
What I Drive: RS mk1, ST mk3 estate and 2.0 zetec

Points 3,092, Level 34
Points: 3,092, Level: 34 Points: 3,092, Level: 34 Points: 3,092, Level: 34
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 blacknlow Good Standing Member
the cheapest way to get your foci lowered ist to get some springs (don`t know how much they cost in the u.s.) the car`s handling gonna be a lot better than with stock springs.

and if you want to get high performance handling and more lowering then you should get coilovers (kw, h&r...)

if you`re not a mechanic and you ain`t got the right tools, then you should let the work be done by a pro

peace

denis
Old 01-09-2004, 07:45 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2509
What I Drive: 2001 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 dudeman Good Standing Member
im new to the forum but i wanted to get my 2˘ in.as far as cambers go u only need to adjust them if u lower it 2in or lower.with the springs i dunno what its like for you guys but i hang out at the advanced auto store around the corner from me and i talk to all the rednecks and diy'ers and i learned almost all the tricks of the trade and on top of that a dude from my ford deal who is a mechanic works there to so my advice would be to ask at a place like that about essential tools for what your doing.as far as reusing struts and shocks be veery careful bc im always hearin the stories.but it is possible to diy and im gonna be helpin my friend real soon doin his z24's suspension and this summer im plannin on doin mine so i also wanted to know opinions on which set up would be better,the cup kit or another one that i dont know about?i know koni makes a shocks and strut set up but i dunno really too much else and koni is expesive so i was wonderin if i would get a similar feel from the cup kit.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:15 AM   #7
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2221
What I Drive: 2002 SVTF Pitch Black

FF Reputation: 1 focuzdSVT Good Standing Member
Alot of tymes you can rent the specialty tools from a parts store. The main thing would be a spring compressor for the struts. If you havent done struts before, you can always take the strut off yourself and take the whole thing to a shop and let them swap the spring. This would be alot cheaper than letting a shop do the entire thing. The rear should not be a problem, after your done take it to a shop to get the alingment done. If you can go to a shop that offers lifetime alignments do that - it pays for itself. Also for DIY there is the feeling that you did it yourself and thats what I'm all about. With the eception of paint I am going to do everything myself.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:30 AM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 2509
What I Drive: 2001 red zx3

FF Reputation: 1 dudeman Good Standing Member
true and at the advanced auto i go to they have comressors for like 28-30 somin dollars so i would check that out if ur think about diy bc im gonna have the dudes in my car club pitch in together and buy it and this way we can all do our own suspension and im just gonna buy any other need tools bc ill prolly use em eventually anyways bc im a big diy guy.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:22 PM   #9
Focus Addict

Fan#: 1594
What I Drive: 2000 Focus Sony Edition

FF Reputation: 1 00focus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
ok...if u have minimal mechanical skills a spring change is a piece of friigin cake, if u have an autozone near u , loan the macpherson strut/spring compressor, which u get all the money back after u give the tool back, the rear should only take an hour for both sides if u have jack stands and a floor jack, the front may take a while becuase u have to compress the spring to be avle to take the cap off of the strut. some people are afraid of the spring going crazy and knocking u in the head, if u use the spring compessor, the spring decompresses gradually when u loosen the bolts so there is nothing to worry about.. on www.steedafocus.com there are instructions for spring install, i believe it is under tech info !!

jt evo 5front and rear, evo fogs, evo-5 exhaust, ww side skirts, halo hl, 17"rev model 12 rims(black) with dunlop sport fm 901 rubber,easystreet air ride suspension with ride pro digital management,debadged, dvd with 7.2" monitors, fc antenna, euro grille
-BoB-
Old 01-10-2004, 03:10 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 535
What I Drive: MMIII ZTW, 5 spd.

FF Reputation: 1 Jake Good Standing Member
Quote:
what are the gains? what are the downfalls? thanks.
I've been thinking through lowering myself and one thing I have picked up on these forums
(BTW, you might want to check out the suspension forum of this web site- most of your questions have been discussed ad nauseum) is that if you stay with the stock dampers you will shorten their life. How much? Depends on how much they have to work, but some have said, if you Foci is new, with new stock dampers, you'll get no more than two years out of them after lowering.

BTW, that's a downfall, I suppose, but dampers don't last for ever anyway and after your new ones wear out, you'll have a good excuse to upgrard to ,say Koni's or Eibachs-or some other premium damper.

-Homer Simpson

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.