Focus Fanatics Forum banner

V-Maxx Coils- Install and Thoughts

78K views 223 replies 37 participants last post by  RebelDevilCustoms 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently I've gotten a lot of questions about the V-Maxx coils. Due to their price-point, they are very tempting when it comes to lowering your car. That same low price also adds a bit of apprehension, as nobody wants to spend $600 and be unhappy with their end-result suspension. I'll try and cover a few areas and I will come back and edit in some pictures from my phone.

Product Arrival/Contents
The package that I received was pretty beat up. After getting it into the garage and opened up, I took an inventory of what was in the box and it appeared that I had everything I needed. I even had an extra piece that goes nowhere on our suspension, and checking with other V-Maxx owners confirmed that it didn't belong. What I definitely noticed was missing was an install/instruction sheet. Why it is not included is beyond the scope of my understanding, especially when compared to the fact that my Pro-Kit springs had one.

Installation
Relatively straight-forward. Even without an instruction sheet, once you've taken your OEM suspension apart it is pretty easy to see how to piece everything together. The only thing that I didn't initially see was that the upper spring perch for the front coils fits over the bottom of the upper bearing. There are tabs on the bearing (for holding the upper part of the strut boot) that some have removed, though you can force the perch over them as well.

Ride Quality
For the cost, my honest opinion is that the ride is pretty good. I don't know if I had mentally set the bar really low before getting them, but I was pretty surprised when I went for the first few drives. With that being said, you definitely know that you are in a lowered car. There are sections of road (or entire roads) that you are not going to want to go on anymore. I have pretty good roads where I live, but there are some areas that the car gets bouncy that I wouldn't have predicted. I'm pretty curious as to how well the 13+ hour trip is going to be on them.

Adjustment
Here is my problem with these coils. Despite what the specifications sheet says, there is only about .5" worth of adjustment in the rear. I can deal with that as I don't have a winter here, but for someone that wants a set of coils that can take them back to or closer to OEM ride height for winter-it isn't going to happen. Depending on how you assemble the front, you can raise it something fierce. But that brings up another issue in itself. Depending on how you set up the front, you can't even level out your fenders. If you're fine with reverse-rake then cool, but I wanted level fenders and assumed (based on the specifications provided) that I could find a good area that the front and rear matched up.

For comparison (though the differences are subtle), there is this picture-

Here is a picture of how my car sits right now-

In the first picture, both the front and rear are at max-low. The rear upper isolators are installed, along with the locking ring up front. In order to get them within .25" of each other (front is still high), I had to raise the rear to max and take out the locking ring and helpers up front. Not until after I had purchased and installed everything was it recommended to me that I should have purchased aftermarket pillowball mounts. I don't know how much it would affect the overall installation ride-heights, but it definitely is something to consider above-and-beyond the initial cost of the coils.

I honestly don't know why these coils are listed for the Mk3. I have sent a request to V-Maxx to contact me about fitment concerns, so we will see how that goes. I always wondered why no one on the forum would post much about the coils other than to contact them via PM or text, but after installing and adjusting I understood. I can't whole-heartedly recommend them, but on the flip-side I can't fully discount them either. I don't feel, especially with the listed specifications, that I should have had to go to the lengths I did in order to level my fenders. This compromises safety, and I will definitely be upgrading to a more expensive set in the future. I'm simply trying to give my thoughts and opinions. Any other V-Maxx owners can share any tips/tricks install thoughts here as well, as I am really curious to see their install pics/methods along with final front/rear fender measurements. If anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask them so that we can have an open-dialogue and get the information distributed to the community.

See less See more
#96 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
This afternoon we had a meeting with Austin (V-Maxx USA) and Erwin (V-Maxx HQ Netherlands) here are RDC to discuss and go over the current issues with the MKII (Euro)/ MKIII (US) Kit. As you already know the kit we are currently selling was initially designed for the European MKII Focus, which even though it fits (with mods) the MKIII Focus, it doesn't fit correctly, namely the adjustment issues. We had components in the shop from both vehicles, along with our Sedan, to view the differences and to discuss a fix for their current kit and what to change for the upcoming kits for the Focus. We should have the fix for the rear adjustment issue very soon (within the first 2 weeks of Sept.). The update will be given to the current owners and applied to the remaining in stock kits. They are also completely redesigning the kit to make it MKIII specific, said the new kits should be available by years end. The Xxtreme Coil-overs are also in the works (no time frame yet) and Big Brake kits, 4 piston calipers, 330MM grooved 2-Piece floating Rotors, and Ferodo Racing brake pads inc. (Erwin said end of Oct. time frame for ready to ship). If you have any more questions, please let me know or Contact
Austin H
V-Maxx rep
Ph # 863-738-1200
Em- austin@v-maxxusa.com

BBK caliper teaser :)

#153 ·
As you already know the kit we are currently selling was initially designed for the European MKII Focus, which even though it fits (with mods) the MKIII Focus, it doesn't fit correctly, namely the adjustment issues. We had components in the shop from both vehicles, along with our Sedan, to view the differences and to discuss a fix for their current kit and what to change for the upcoming kits for the Focus. We should have the fix for the rear adjustment issue very soon (within the first 2 weeks of Sept.). The update will be given to the current owners and applied to the remaining in stock kits.
I think we're just waiting for this time frame to occur ^^^...

Just more vaporware. [rolleyes]

#102 ·
Awesome! Thanks for the support!
Do you think the price will go up for the new springs?

Also I'm not familier with what modifications need to be made for the springs.
Anyone got a link?

#104 ·
O.I.C. lol [hah] [facepalm]

Was just trying to figure out what this all meant.
which even though it fits (with mods) the MKIII Focus, it doesn't fit correctly, namely the adjustment issues. We had components in the shop from both vehicles, along with our Sedan, to view the differences and to discuss a fix for their current kit and what to change for the upcoming kits for the Focus. We should have the fix for the rear adjustment issue very soon

#105 ·
We have a meeting with a machine shop tomorrow to get the parts made, for the rear adjusters. [thumb]

#107 ·
They are going to machine the upper spring perch to fit the strut bearing better, but the said not a lot they can do except the full redesign to be released around the first of the yr.

#114 ·
Had a meeting at a local Machine Shop/Fabrication Facility yesterday. We should be seeing the upgraded rear adjuster first part by end of week, maybe early next week. I will head back up and check out the upgrade, and if its what we are looking for. They will be producing all of the ones we need.

#118 ·
Meeting up with the machine shop sat morning to check the fit and functuonality of the adj.... if good they will fabricate the rest of them.

#120 ·
With the additional components required to make the Vmaxx coil-over kit work properly should we expect an increase in price on the revised kit for next year? If so what sort of price increase would you project?

#121 ·
Ill check with V-Maxx to find out that info. I'm pretty sure there will be a sale on the remaining coilovers in stock, all will be updated with new parts.

#122 ·
What are they doing about the front fitment considering that they have to be run without the lock collar in order to go lower than Sportlines?

#123 ·
Ill ask V-Maxx what their plans are for that, Im handling parts for the rear issue.

#124 ·
From V-Maxx
" There isn't a lot we can do about the fronts other than wait for the redesigned kit specifically for the Focus lll. For people already use the FO02 the only option is to remove a lock ring and the helper spring if the want the be lower."

And for the question about pricing-

"It would come in at the same price point as the FO02 kit."

I hope this answers your questions for now, if you have any more, ask away [thumb]

#126 ·
I'm not sure vince, I think something will be done, but not sure what, I haven't heard anything on that yet.....as soon as I know ill let you all know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.