Focus Fanatics Forum banner

V-Maxx Coils- Install and Thoughts

78K views 223 replies 37 participants last post by  RebelDevilCustoms 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently I've gotten a lot of questions about the V-Maxx coils. Due to their price-point, they are very tempting when it comes to lowering your car. That same low price also adds a bit of apprehension, as nobody wants to spend $600 and be unhappy with their end-result suspension. I'll try and cover a few areas and I will come back and edit in some pictures from my phone.

Product Arrival/Contents
The package that I received was pretty beat up. After getting it into the garage and opened up, I took an inventory of what was in the box and it appeared that I had everything I needed. I even had an extra piece that goes nowhere on our suspension, and checking with other V-Maxx owners confirmed that it didn't belong. What I definitely noticed was missing was an install/instruction sheet. Why it is not included is beyond the scope of my understanding, especially when compared to the fact that my Pro-Kit springs had one.

Installation
Relatively straight-forward. Even without an instruction sheet, once you've taken your OEM suspension apart it is pretty easy to see how to piece everything together. The only thing that I didn't initially see was that the upper spring perch for the front coils fits over the bottom of the upper bearing. There are tabs on the bearing (for holding the upper part of the strut boot) that some have removed, though you can force the perch over them as well.

Ride Quality
For the cost, my honest opinion is that the ride is pretty good. I don't know if I had mentally set the bar really low before getting them, but I was pretty surprised when I went for the first few drives. With that being said, you definitely know that you are in a lowered car. There are sections of road (or entire roads) that you are not going to want to go on anymore. I have pretty good roads where I live, but there are some areas that the car gets bouncy that I wouldn't have predicted. I'm pretty curious as to how well the 13+ hour trip is going to be on them.

Adjustment
Here is my problem with these coils. Despite what the specifications sheet says, there is only about .5" worth of adjustment in the rear. I can deal with that as I don't have a winter here, but for someone that wants a set of coils that can take them back to or closer to OEM ride height for winter-it isn't going to happen. Depending on how you assemble the front, you can raise it something fierce. But that brings up another issue in itself. Depending on how you set up the front, you can't even level out your fenders. If you're fine with reverse-rake then cool, but I wanted level fenders and assumed (based on the specifications provided) that I could find a good area that the front and rear matched up.

For comparison (though the differences are subtle), there is this picture-

Here is a picture of how my car sits right now-

In the first picture, both the front and rear are at max-low. The rear upper isolators are installed, along with the locking ring up front. In order to get them within .25" of each other (front is still high), I had to raise the rear to max and take out the locking ring and helpers up front. Not until after I had purchased and installed everything was it recommended to me that I should have purchased aftermarket pillowball mounts. I don't know how much it would affect the overall installation ride-heights, but it definitely is something to consider above-and-beyond the initial cost of the coils.

I honestly don't know why these coils are listed for the Mk3. I have sent a request to V-Maxx to contact me about fitment concerns, so we will see how that goes. I always wondered why no one on the forum would post much about the coils other than to contact them via PM or text, but after installing and adjusting I understood. I can't whole-heartedly recommend them, but on the flip-side I can't fully discount them either. I don't feel, especially with the listed specifications, that I should have had to go to the lengths I did in order to level my fenders. This compromises safety, and I will definitely be upgrading to a more expensive set in the future. I'm simply trying to give my thoughts and opinions. Any other V-Maxx owners can share any tips/tricks install thoughts here as well, as I am really curious to see their install pics/methods along with final front/rear fender measurements. If anyone else has any questions, feel free to ask them so that we can have an open-dialogue and get the information distributed to the community.

See less See more
#128 ·
The meeting at the fab shop went well, waiting for the go ahead from V-maxx to get the ball rolling...once approved...and made, ill get all the parts to everyone.

#129 ·
Honestly, and I hate to be that guy, I'm really disappointed with vmaxx about this. They should have never been claimed to be MK3 coilovers. Although they do fit, they do not fit correctly. I shouldn't be spending over $600 just to have to modify them. In my opinion, they should do a replacement for those of us who have already bought them. I bought them figuring that they would be fully compatible. All they have been is nothing but problems.

#133 ·
Nope it just kinda pushes it out of the way my cars like a snow plow and out here in wa even on the mountain passes they keep the roads below 2" or 3"
And I run snow tires that's the only thing I change blizzaks on all 4 and I've never been stuck the only thing that is a problem in the snow is I can't get chains on if the dot is requiring it so I'll have to risk a ticket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#134 ·
So as of tomorrow we will be 11 weeks in since this thread was created, and that's not even counting the amount of time before that when the fitment issue was first brought to light. Continual promises of 'this weekend' and 'next week'. This is turning into another vapor-ware thread.

#136 ·
I emailed V-Maxx again, which I would advise you to do also. I don't know anything till they tell me.

#137 ·
But you said you are the one getting the rear adjusters. You are the one that keeps saying this coming week or weekend. Just read through the last page or two of the thread.

#139 ·
Yes I did say I was getting the adj mod done, but until V-Maxx gives me the go-ahead and funds to have them all made I'm waiting on them

#143 ·
Got the car back on the ground yesterday and it's sitting nice and low she loves it still not quite as low as me ;)
Over all I'm extremely happy with the car I can't wait to get the wheels off and put the new ones on she's more excited then me haha but even tho the product doesn't "fit" these cars it works and it does what it is ment to do and if your popping pear he's out to get lower it's your fault you can't raise it safely. All likes from me I love the low life

#145 ·
So far only these coilovers. Nobody has really posted reviews of others, but on a properly designed set you should be able to add or remove rake as you see fit.

Also caution-rake is a topic that should probably have it's own thread...

#146 ·
I don't have reverse rake this is flat the car is sitting flat your front fenders have a higher arch then the rears another way around this issue is fitting the wheels to fit. Closer to the fender and honestly with the wheels she had chosen were gonna need to be able to lift it a quarter inch so I'm really not worried about it. If you really want your front end lower then swap out the springs but good luck with that cause your going to wear out axles and tie rods and bushings all day. I've been thru it all

#148 ·
Got a ride in the focus and they ride great for being spun all the way down front and rear! She's happy with them witch is all that matters they ride a little bouncy but that is to be expected with coil overs all the way down. We had a test fit of the soon to be wheels and now we're thinking about switching to air ride. Because why not lay frame? I think this product is a bomb proof product! I would do it again.

#154 ·
I have contacted a member on here that is a machinist to make these parts and providing costs are not astronomical, RDC will pay for these parts and get them to the members that want more adjustment. The initial quote from the local shop was too high and VMaxx said to try to source out a place with a better price. For any immediate issues please contact V-Maxx about them... contact info is listed in thos thread

#161 ·
Like I've said before for those that actually follow (or at least have read all of) the thread and future possible buyers, the fitment as advertised is the only problem. And also like I've said previously, if you don't need the ability to go back up them they are great the way they are now.

Those of us that weren't advised should have a legitimate fix. Period. I could care less who pays for it so long as it isn't the current owner. Those who were advised have no right to complain or expect a fix as they were previously aware, unless other promises were made.

And as noted earlier in the deleted section, Mike is now informing people of the kits deficiency.

#163 ·
V-maxx is in process of a complete redesign of the coil overs to include their xtremes & big brake kit for N/A n ST

#213 ·
They went back to R&D and are releasing a completely revised version specifically for the MK3, sometime this summer
I went through to quote all of the times that you said a fix was being worked on or is coming, but I could only quote 10 posts so I gave up. This is vaporware, there are no fixes, and until a part is physically in someone's hands you need to stop giving false-hope. This has been going on for two years now and the issue was present even before (just never disclosed), so I wouldn't anticipate a kit coming out for those that already have spent their money or those that are waiting. I would imagine that they will have a kit out for the new refresh or even the next body-style before Mk3 owners have an actual, legitimate bolt-on solution.

This community is no priority to them, they've made that abundantly clear.

Reactions: MG_MK3
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.