Focus Fanatics Forum banner

MK3 Drum to Disc Brake conversion

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Jim_J 
#1 ·
Has anybody done this? If so what would be needed to do the swap? I know it will be a pain to do but I think its a pretty good upgrade.

#2 ·
I believe someone did do it on the forum. Sadly, I don't have a link to the thread but I believe it ran them in the some of $6xx with all new parts from the dealership. If you do find the link every part that was needed for the swap was listed in that thread. I'm probably going to wait a few years and try to pull them from a junk yard car or perhaps someone parting out an mk3 on the forum.

*Edit* Here's the thread http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=293391&highlight=rear+drum+swap&page=5

#8 ·
Thanks for diging that thread up.

My suggestion is to skip to the diagrams at the bottom. SOOOO much misinformation about how brakes work, and the physics involved it's almost painful to read.

I too want to swap away from the drums. Appearance, Ease of maintenance, and Reduction in fade.

Zero performance increase if what I have read about the braking system is accurate. Stock ABS system appears to be doing "Digitally controlled threshold braking" for you. If you already have the power to lock up the wheels (and the computer had to overide that), then you are the mercy of the tires, not the brakes!

#4 ·
Really why would you replace good parts just because there listed int the parts diagram parts list next you will tel me I have to replace the cradle because the caliper mount boss tabs aren't on the one with drum brakes. Parts you would need Caliper, Mount kit, Dust shield, Flex brake line, Hardware kit, Rotor, might need parking brake cable end but wheel bearing speed sensor brake lines other then flex.

#10 ·
how are disks easier to maintain then drums ?

drums all you do is smack them with a hammer/ shake off brake dust every time you rotate the tires. they self adjust to the amount of pad left. thats preety darn easy.

#12 ·
You don't have to hit a drum with a hammer either.

There is no advantage to the swap for a street car except looks. I would say you get less dust with drums but on the rear even the disks don't dust up much, there is so little braking going on compared to the front.

#13 ·
Just because it doesn't give huge performance gains doesn't mean it's not a worth while mod. Drums are harder to work on. Nobody can make a case against that. I'm on my own personal crusade against drums because I absolutely hate them. If doing this mod makes you happy then do it. Because at the end of the day, that's what were all here for in the first place.

#14 ·
Just because it doesn't give huge performance gains doesn't mean it's not a worth while mod.
It gives no real world performance gain. As a performance mod it's a no gainer.

Drums are harder to replace than disks, but doing the swap is likely harder than replacing rear drums once or twice during the life of the car.

I'm not telling anyone not to do any mod, I just want to make sure people know they will see no real improvement in braking power putting disks on the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.