Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Installed Sportlines car, not sitting level!!!!

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  RedRiderr13 
#1 ·
So I installed a set of used Eibach Sportlines on my SVT. All was just fine until I noticed that the passenger rear sits about a half inch or more higher that the opposing side. The fronts seem fine and look the same.
I checked to make sure I installed them right side up.
I took the spring out tonight and then reinstalled it, making sure I did everything perfect.
It still sits the same, noticeably higher than the other side.
The only thing I can think of now is to take take the other spring out and swap sides to see if its a spring issue.
Also, I DID reuse the factory rubber piece that goes on the top of the spring.

So if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can make adjustments, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Chris

#7 ·
Did you remove both rear springs and compare them? Since they're used there could be an irregularity with one of them. But it is unlikely.

Since you used the rubber isolator on the upper spring perch I'd recommend double checking that the top of the spring is seated properly in the isolator. I'm sure you noticed that there is a notch for the end of the coil to fit into.

Also, roughly what is the overall spring length? Some sport springs are short enough that at full droop they can fall out of place and then when the car settles back on its wheels the spring will be out of place. Something along these lines could be your problem.

#12 ·
im curious aswell, I just installed the pro kit on my 2010 se and the driver side sit 0.75 inch lower, I think I also messed the rear camber by installing the spring with the e-brake pulled. I will check this tonight or tomorow when Ill install my summer tire.

I read on a camaro forum a guy putted a plastic disc with the thickness of the desired height over the rubber donut.

#13 ·
I had 'bout a .25'' difference w/ frpp's on the rear, not a real big difference w/ the sportline system. Maybe a 1/16th or so. The springs measured out the same.

#17 ·
felix - taking note, I'm wondering if the fact that the same lower arms being used on both sides might occasionally cause this issue.

Remembering one picture taken from the rear by a poster who wondered what was wrong with his car since he was seeing the bottom of the arm lower on one side than the other.....

IF someone oriented BOTH springs the same way, without looking closely, ONE would be in the pocket correctly and one would not!

The OP here mentioned checking the offending side, and HE might have checked both, but I wonder about others at a minimun....

Cheers!

#18 ·
I have this issue as well. It seems to be a common problem with no explanation. There are several threads on it, heck, I even have a thread about the issue. At first it was with my steeda springs, and gave up with it. Drove on those for several years and was ready for change. I forgot about the passenger rear setting a little higher. I bought some skunk2 springs last year and yep, same corner. I can't even tell you how many times I took them out and manipulated them. I even took a dremel to the rubber donut thingy and nothing fixed it. I gave up again. Just going with coilovers, that should fix it!

#19 ·
WOW!!! I can't believe how many of you guys have the same issue!! That actually makes me feel a little bit better though. It really must be a focus thing. However this being my second focus (my first being a non-svt with much lower miles but same sportline springs), I didn't notice having this issue on that one. But maybe I am more picky now IDK!!

I do plan on replacing the struts as well but knowing what I know about suspension components, I don't think that it will help. But hopefully I am wrong.

UPDATE:

This evening I took the springs out and put them next to each other and throughly examined each for any differences. Nothing. They are exactly identical.
So when I reinstalled them I swapped sides with the springs and its exactly the same. I have looked pretty closely at both suspension components on either side while everything is apart and I see no differences. I just don't get this and its driving me nuts!!

#21 ·
yup i can tell my car sits a little off too with the frpp set. it looks as if it is the right front as i havnt paid too much to the rear. but about .25-.5 off. nobody else can see it but it bothers me as i can see in the trim of the dash. but then again nobody noticed that the mirrors are two different shapes and sizes either.... well its nice to know im not crazy. i would think the passenger side would sit the lowest as the engine is on that side

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.