Suspension Upgrades - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Shlammed Life

Fan#: 97521
What I Drive: 2000 Malibu Blue ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 cody.carr Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Suspension Upgrades

Im gonna be upgrading the suspension on my DD. its a 2000 zx3. Ive narrowed it down to the Eibach Pro Plus or the Sport plus. what exactly is the difference in these, ride quality wise. I know the pro kit offers the 1.5 inch drop and the sport kit offers the 2" drop.

I need some low in my life.

HOTM February '13 HN #06 RR #39
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
Wheel King, Bow Down

Fan#: 40924
What I Drive: 01 Black ZX3, 09 FSWerks SEMA Coupe

FF Reputation: 19 Nickgt40 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I'd suggest H&R over the Eibach.

The sportline (sport plus) are too soft for how low they take the car. The ride is comfy but you will be more likely to rub.

The pro plus springs are fine, but don't go much lower than stock. At only 1.5" drop you're still going to have quite a bit of wheel gap.

Comparable products in H&R components would be H&R Sport (similar to the pro plus), Cup kit (lower and slightly firmer than sport plus), and H&R Race. The Race springs are lower than the 1.5" options of either company but are considerably stiffer. They will truly transform the handling of your car with proper damping front and rear.
Hatch Nation #2
Old 08-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
Shlammed Life

do they have a kit with the sway bars and everything? and im not looking for completely slammed, living in the mountain state of WV. I live in the woods and drive on a gravel driveway. just something with better ride quality that will hug nicely for the curvy roads that we have here, since my car has 210,XXX it needs refreshed. Just a little drop

Old 08-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #4
Wheel King, Bow Down

You won't be completely slammed, in fact not anywhere close:

And the H&R options do not come with sway bars, however the Eibach bars are too thick for most foci anyway. The absolute largest bar you'd want to put on with any of the springs (except for the notably stiffer H&R Race springs) would be a 24mm bar, and even that is pushing it.

Too stiff of a rear bar can cause cracked control arms. Too stiff a front bar will make the car push and harder to drive.
Hatch Nation #2
Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Shlammed Life

Alright, and do I buy the springs and the struts separately? or do they come in a kit? If so, which struts/shocks would you recommend with the race springs. and what all will I have to get, such as mounting hardware and everything. cause i have no clue how to match up spring rates and all that or whatever you have to do with suspension

Old 08-06-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Wheel King, Bow Down

Yes, you will buy them separately.

H&R Race Springs
Koni Yellow Shocks/Struts
Stock front bar
H&R 24mm rear bar.

Tried and true, proven performance on the track or auto-x course, good for daily driving if you don't mind giving up a cushy ride for greatly improved feel, looks, and capability. It will completely transform your car, especially coming off of 200k mile stock suspension.
Hatch Nation #2
Old 08-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cody.carr View Post
do they have a kit with the sway bars and everything? and im not looking for completely slammed, living in the mountain state of WV. I live in the woods and drive on a gravel driveway. just something with better ride quality that will hug nicely for the curvy roads that we have here, since my car has 210,XXX it needs refreshed. Just a little drop

How important is lowering the car to you? Because you drive on a variety of road surfaces a really stiff suspension is probably not your best solution. As you go lower the springs usually get stiffer and there's a corresponding loss in ride quality. I'm thinking that the Ford Racing SVT kit might work well for you. The possible downside is that it drops only 1/2 inch but the handling improvement will be night vs day over your stock suspension and it's pretty comfortable ride wise. The good part is that new springs, shocks and slightly bigger rear sway bar can be delivered to you for 300.00 or less (check with Tousley Ford or CFM). Nothing comes close for that price.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Shlammed Life

thanks man, your getting rep for this

Old 08-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #9
Shlammed Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
How important is lowering the car to you? Because you drive on a variety of road surfaces a really stiff suspension is probably not your best solution. As you go lower the springs usually get stiffer and there's a corresponding loss in ride quality. I'm thinking that the Ford Racing SVT kit might work well for you. The possible downside is that it drops only 1/2 inch but the handling improvement will be night vs day over your stock suspension and it's pretty comfortable ride wise. The good part is that new springs, shocks and slightly bigger rear sway bar can be delivered to you for 300.00 or less (check with Tousley Ford or CFM). Nothing comes close for that price.
I only drive on a gravel road for about 500ft, and believe me, i take that 500ft VERY slowly, like under 5mph. i hate when my car gets all dusty from the gravel. then its all blacktop roads. I was looking at the SVT kit, but i wanna loose some of my wheel gap while im doing suspension. thanks for the help guys!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Wheel King, Bow Down

If you're only on a dirt road for that short of a distance I wouldn't really let it change what you end up going with. Speak with Ken, the previous owner, he'll back up what I say about the Race springs and Koni Yellows. Also, do a bit of research on your own, you'll find how many people use and recommend it as well.
Hatch Nation #2

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.