Constant Stream of Air while Bleeding Brakes - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 101808
What I Drive: 2002 Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 LightningFocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Constant Stream of Air while Bleeding Brakes

I replaced my front pads a week or so back and went for a test drive. My brakes were soft and went all the way to the floor. So, I bled them. BR, BL, FR, FL with a "one-man" bleeder kit with a friend's help. I told him to pump up the pedal, and tell me when he was depressing. I'd open the valve and close when he told me pedal was halfway.

The back had no bubbles so it seemed. The front had a few and I noticed a leak. The leak was coming from the calliper bleed valve. So I Teflon taped the front two up. Continued to bleed. The brake fluid coming through the hose was clean and what I thought bubble free. So we went for a test drive. Still soft as crap brake pedal.

I thought I'd buy an actual one-man vacuum pump. Tried bleeding the front left last night just to test out the goods Air bubbles, air bubbles, air bubbles, air bubbles. It was like there was nothing but air in the system. So, I did that for about 40 minutes and the bubbles just wouldn't stop. I said F it and went inside for the night.

Today I head out to do the whole system starting with BR then BL then FR then FL. Same story on the back right drum. The friggin thing is just sucking bubbled air through. No constant stream of fluid at all. The fluid coming out the back right is clean, and I haven't really had to put any fluid in the reservoir when I started today. The other attempts I kept that bad boy full, so definitely no air got in through there (unless I don't know how to fill a reservoir. Unscrew lid. Pour brake fluid in. Screw lid back on.). I've pumped away on this sucker for more than 1 1/2 hours. Just one brake!

If I was sucking air out of the line, the reservoir should be dropping like it's nobody's business. But that's not the case it goes down very very slowly.

Please please PLEASE HELP! This is so annoying I'm ready to replace the whole darn brake system.... but don't want to. Obviously. Thanks.

ps. When we were bleeding the non-vacuum way the brakes would get hard when "pumping them up" and get soft when the car was on. Which makes me think it's not the Power Booster affecting anything.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 67329
What I Drive: Boostin in the Mid-A

Points 7,421, Level 57
Points: 7,421, Level: 57 Points: 7,421, Level: 57 Points: 7,421, Level: 57
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 15 PSUrivie Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
Go old school and get a jar and fill it with fluid. Take a hose from the bleeder and submerge the other end into the jar. Now bleed the system. You might be incorrectly bleeding your system.

I had trouble bleeding mine when I did my rear disc conversion. I used a pump like you're using and I could never get the pedal to feel right. Use the old school way first and see if it works.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

I don't know if that's the case. It honestly feels like I'm just sucking any fluid out of the lines and making a vacuum in the lines. I pump the pump up with valve closed to like 20 inHg vacuum and then open the valve. Now I basically see nothing happening aka air and nothing but it. I close the valve around 5 inHg vac and repeat.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Points 7,421, Level 57
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
Maybe the seal in the master cylinder is bad causing you to suck air into the system
Old 07-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUrivie View Post
Maybe the seal in the master cylinder is bad causing you to suck air into the system
Would I have busted it by pushing back the calliper pistons? Maybe went a little too fast?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Points 7,421, Level 57
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
I'm dont think so, but you must be getting air into the system from somewhere. Are you sure all of you bleeders are tight??
Old 07-26-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

Points 3,697, Level 38
Points: 3,697, Level: 38 Points: 3,697, Level: 38 Points: 3,697, Level: 38
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 76%
Activity: 76% Activity: 76% Activity: 76%
FF Reputation: 31 amc49 Great Standing Member
Two things here.

Look here, the hand vacuum pump (Mityvac?) works TOO well, they will suck air from right at your bleed point, give up on it. BTDT (I've got 3 Mityvacs, they just don't work doing this!). The air is false since it leaks right at the valve.

You CANNOT seal hydraulic bleed valves with teflon tape no matter how hard you try, the threads are loose (not interference type) and will pass air or fluid. I've seen this mistake more than once. The valve MUST seat and seal at the seat or toss the caliper.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Points 7,421, Level 57
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
^yeah maybe get a new bleeder and swap it out for the one that is leaking.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM   #9
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
Look here, the hand vacuum pump (Mityvac?) works TOO well, they will suck air from right at your bleed point, give up on it. BTDT (I've got 3 Mityvacs, they just don't work doing this!). The air is false since it leaks right at the valve.
Gave up on the vacuum and did it the old fashioned pump-open valve-close valve dance. Spent maybe 15 minutes on each break line. All clean fluid and a few bubbles at start on one of em. Brakes still hit the floor. I'm about to say f it and go to the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc49 View Post
You CANNOT seal hydraulic bleed valves with teflon tape no matter how hard you try, the threads are loose (not interference type) and will pass air or fluid. I've seen this mistake more than once. The valve MUST seat and seal at the seat or toss the caliper.
The "leak" came from when I opened the valve to bleed. It came from the base of the valve at the calliper at the threads. Once the Teflon tape was on, there was no more leak. Haven't seen a moist calliper since.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Points 7,421, Level 57
Level Up 36% Completed
Forum Activity 6%
I'm betting your master cylinder is bad

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.