Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Rear Squeak Solved!

97K views 68 replies 44 participants last post by  faildattempt101 
#1 ·
Okay, so as so many of us have posted, the focus has a tendency to develop an annoying squeak/creak when going over bumps. It comes from the rear, and can be on the left or right.

I could not believe people when they said that it could be the e-brake cables, but I secured them anyways. They go through a loop that is bolted to the frame. That bolt can get loose too, and cause its own squeak. The loops are on the sides of the car, about one foot from the rear wheel wells. The big cable goes right through them, so you can't miss em.

BUT, for me, the noise still came from time to time. So, I went under there and really looked all over. Turned out there is a plastic clamp that runs under the rear seat. It gets loose over time, and when you hit a bump, it can move, causing that squeak. It holds the e-brake cable in place further up the car, away from those bigger loops that are about a foot fwd of the rear wheel wells. This clamp is about two feet in from the side of the car, more near the center.

Trust me, when you touch this spot, and you hear the noise, you know IMMEDIATELY that this is what has been driving you nuts. It makes the exact noise I hear in the car. It sits up a bit, recessed under the back seat. I tried to get some pics of the spot for you guys. I put some grease on it, but it also flips over (rotates), and you can then put the cable back into the clamp. When flipped, it tightens right up. No more noise. I dreaded when I first started to go over the usual bumps that cause the problem noise, but boom, no more noise.

Pics:

The white clamp in the middle is the problem, with the green thing going through it. Its all tight now, in that pic...before, the clamp faced upwards instead of down, and it was loose.

You can see some of the white lithium grease I applied squishing out from under the clamp.

Look for those other hoses/lines you see in the pics, and you will see it.

If you have this damn random rear squeak, check this out. If you try it, post up your results!

Hope this helps. I know it drove me NUTS.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ill check that out
Seriously! I thought it was the springs too. I even did the flip thing. Nope. Was this little clamp the whole time. You have no idea how gratifying it was when I tapped it, and that exact noise occurred...

Reactions: atlst
#6 ·
kill it!!

has anyone tried this yet, of those who have this issue? id like to hear the feedback.

#8 ·
i'm still have suspension issues. i have new springs sitting at home. When the weather gets warmer i'm ripping off the rear sway and i'll do this at the same time. I'll post my results in the spring

#11 ·
Nice I'll keep an ear out for such a squeak.

There's a similar thing with my Crown Vic. When going over bumps and stuff the front end makes a squeaking noise like bad suspension parts but it's really the hood latch. Grease the hood latch and noise is gone. [hatchet][smackbum] It's probably some sick joke Ford thought of to put a squeak in every car in a random spot that noone would suspect and drive the owner insane [xx(]

#12 ·
I just bought a 07 Focus and when I was test driving It I was hearing a squeak over bumps too. When I mention this to the salesman, they took it in for service to get it checked out...When the salesman call me back and told me it was the e brake cable I thought they were full of it...After retest driving the car the squeak was gone.

#13 ·
nope, they were telling you the truth. the brake cable causes this noise, just depends on if you find the right spot. i am certain that this is the right spot.

#15 ·
yeah, did for me at first too. the reason that works is b/c it keeps the cable a bit 'tighter' if you are using the thick stuff. so, it doesn't move as much at the clamp points. if you keep it tight, it may not move at the clamp. mine came back after the grease deteriorated.

#17 ·
im not sure on the 08s up. just follow the ebrakes and see where they clamp to the body.

#18 ·
i had this same problem. at first i thought it was my shocks and struts but i replaced all those and the noise was still there! it was driving me crazy!!!! thank you for this info!
+1 rep

#24 ·
remember, it may be diff for you, since you have a 2000. i am not sure how everything is lined up under there, but its def. worth a try. you have no idea how nice it is not to have that!

#25 ·
i will be sure to check this out on my car next week. i was sure it was the rear swaybar bushings needing lubrication! we will see.

thanks for the info!

#27 ·
For me on my wagon it was the rear brake hardlines just before the brake hoses. The bracket doesn't even hold the line firm, but instead lets it rub. This has been driving me crazy for 4 years

I sipped some strips of plastic in between the bracket and line. We'll see how it goes with that, plus I'll try the e-brake fix too. Great thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.