Suspension overhaul begins!!! - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 11:31 PM   #1
Focus Addict

Fan#: 57698
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 7 kritter Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Suspension overhaul begins!!!

Well all my new parts are finally here and I just learned my parentals are going out of town for a week so I have all of the extra vehicles at my "disposal". So I can now put the focus up on jack stands and start tearing the suspension apart and still have something to drive to work every day...

Parts:
Prothane bushing kit
eibach pro springs + dampers
camber bolts
front wheel bearings

Things I need to get still:
2 more jack stands
torque wrench
some flat black rust-oleum (all rust shall forthwith die from my undercarriage)
sandpaper

So to kick things off tomorrow will be prothane bushing install day #1

I will most likely take front and rear control arm assemblies in somewhere to have the bushings installed as I will not have access to a very large vice at my dads place of work being he will be gone...

I know this is a bit pretentious but I am chomping at the bit here. Pics will be updated on a nightly bases. Might even commit some extra time to doing a bushing kit install HOW-TO...

2002 SONIC BLUE SVT #3966
Performance & Handling: JR HFC, CFM dogbone, K&N panel filter, Eibach Pro-kit, Auto-X-ZTS RSB set to 24mm.
Exterior: ST170s & Euro Grill, White EAPs, more to come.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55544
What I Drive: 2002, black, Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 11 opyaFSVT Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Nice, I almost have the same setup, all poly bushings, saleen racecraft kit and eibach sways. U wont be disappointed u might wanna look into camber plates for the front, I didn't need them at first but after a while my struts and springs settle in and i needed them to get my camber back in line.
A how to for the bushings would be great, I ended up doing the front my self and getting the back done somewhere cause most of my bolts were frozen.
Anyway good luck
Old 04-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by opyaFSVT View Post
Nice, I almost have the same setup, all poly bushings, saleen racecraft kit and eibach sways. U wont be disappointed u might wanna look into camber plates for the front, I didn't need them at first but after a while my struts and springs settle in and i needed them to get my camber back in line.
A how to for the bushings would be great, I ended up doing the front my self and getting the back done somewhere cause most of my bolts were frozen.
Anyway good luck
Should not need plates for the front i hope, if sportlines in front still stay within factory spec camber the pro kit should not be a problem. But hey front camber plates would be fair game if I needed them. I like things that adjust...
Not looking forward to those bushings though, thats why someone else is going to do them for me...

Thanks though opya!!!
Performance & Handling: JR HFC, CFM dogbone, K&N panel filter, Eibach Pro-kit, Auto-X-ZTS RSB set to 24mm.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

I don't see any sway bars on ur list. When i did my suspension i drove around with stock sway bars for a bit and the only difference i could feel is that it rode harder over bumps and it was slightly stiffer in corners then stock, but once i changed the sways out it was a hole different car almost no body role and it behaves very neutral in all kinds of corners.
But also depends what u look for, if ur going for looks u wont need sways, but if u go for performance sways are a must.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Quote:
I don't see any sway bars on ur list. When i did my suspension i drove around with stock sway bars for a bit and the only difference i could feel is that it rode harder over bumps and it was slightly stiffer in corners then stock, but once i changed the sways out it was a hole different car almost no body role and it behaves very neutral in all kinds of corners.
But also depends what u look for, if ur going for looks u wont need sways, but if u go for performance sways are a must.
24mm adjustable RSB is what I will be getting in the next month or two... I could care less about looks, if I did the car would have been slammed. If you have not seen my showroom threads my summer wheels/tires are white powder coated EAPs wrapped in dunlop Z1 star specs. So I am trying to build a pretty decent corner carver...

Yummy...
Old 04-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Nice, that's what I am trying to do, almost there just need some nice tires for the summer, what do u think about ur Dunlops?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Quote:
Nice, that's what I am trying to do, almost there just need some nice tires for the summer, what do u think about ur Dunlops?
I honestly do not know what I think of them yet as they have only been on the car once for picture taking purposes. I am still running on my studded winter set. But I do plan on taking a mini road trip along some very twisty mountainous roads when all my suspension junk is done with to break them in and then really torture them on the way home so I can post up a review on here for all to see. I am expecting allot out of them and I do not think I will be let down, but we will see...
Old 04-24-2009, 12:09 AM   #8
Focus Addict

Little update.

Well I only got two hours to work on things today, due to me being lazy and having a girlfriend who I spend to much time with. So the spindle/control arm bolt was a piece of cake so was the front control arm bolt. But those two rear ones are kicking my arse, I thought I could tackle them tonight but ended up splitting a 15mm socket, and completely destroying a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter. That thing will not budge even with air tools... Will not be able to work on the car till monday now because of work. But I am thinking more PB blaster a torch and a 1/2" 15mm coupled with my breaker bar and about 3 feet of pipe will the the job done... What did I get myself into???
Old 04-24-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Where am I?

Fan#: 62506
What I Drive: 02 ZX3, 02 MX-5, 09 Coupe

Points 13,991, Level 76
Points: 13,991, Level: 76 Points: 13,991, Level: 76 Points: 13,991, Level: 76
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 36%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%
FF Reputation: 29 zetecDon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (50)
You got yourself into a trusty rusty nightmare. I always dread doing any type of undercar work due to the fact that I know everything is going to be rusted to hell and siezed up. Except for when I get under the car to use sheer brute force I end up twisting bolt heads off, rounding things off, shreading tools or busting some knuckles. But it is all in the fun of doing things yourself though. Good luck with your adventure. I would also like to suggest using either anti-sieze before you decide to tighten everything down and use some breaking lubricant on the rusty parts to possibly loosen them up a bit before you start to crank around on them.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Actually there is barely any rust under my car, thank god for no salt in the winter. In Idaho they actually use sand and chemicals to keep the road ways safe. But yes anti-sieze was the first thing I bought before I started this project. I just need some more appropriate tools, namely a half inch drive metric socket set... But thanks for the advice and the encouragement zetecDon!!!

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.