At Risk of a LCA Break? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 02:47 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55819
What I Drive: 2003 Focus ZX3 2.3L

Points 1,252, Level 19
Points: 1,252, Level: 19 Points: 1,252, Level: 19 Points: 1,252, Level: 19
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Jonathan Rice Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
At Risk of a LCA Break?

Am I at risk? I've read a few other threads on the subject but I wanted to ask directly.

I have an Eibach Pro System Plus which is Eibach Pro Dampers, Eibach Pro Kit Springs (1.5"F, 1.4"B) and a Eibach Rear Sway Bar.

I've heard that soft springs plus a rear sway can lead to a passenger side lower control arm break.

Any input would be appreciated.

As I do more canyons runs and am about to get into AutoX I need to know.

Socal Crew #18
BOOSTED CREW
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52121
What I Drive: 2005 Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 2 Red_Zeppelin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
From what I've heard the only time they break is with the REAL BIG rear sways like the 28.6mm. The ones that get sent in a set from Eibach are I think 25mm so you should be all good.
Last of The Hatches #54

The Michigan People Thread....top search result for anything!!!!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 33471
What I Drive: Silver ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 zantar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I run the 28.6mm and SVT suspension, I have not had any problems. Years ago people said that the 25mm would cause LCAs to break. You can't believe everything you read on the internet.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 2139
What I Drive: E90 335i, 2002 E53 X5 4.4i

FF Reputation: 28 SpeedOften Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Soft springs with a big bar can cause a LCA to break... The SVT LCA has brackets welded into it that provide much needed structural integrity when running the Steeda 28.6mm rear sway bar.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
Focus Addict

Fan#: 49579
What I Drive: 2003 Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 12 MaroonZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I would at least check the LCA's for cracks a few times a year. I doubt they break all at once. It might depend how rough your roads are also. My GUESS is that you will be fine.
Old 04-02-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It really depends on how agressive a driver you are. Normal street driving is unlikely to do anything as you are not stressing the control arms. Remember the sway applies more force as more weight is put on one side or the other. Cornering speed, weight transfer, and gravity (g-forces) are what makes the bar work harder. The bar then transfers this forces to the control arms. On occasion they have proven to be the weak link. If you autocross or track your car you may want to think about reinforcing it especially if you're using larger bars.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 30951
What I Drive: SGM 2012 5dr

FF Reputation: 17 focusonthis420 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
HOW TO: Reinforce your Rear Lower Control Arms.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Eh I am riding on SVT springs/dampers with a 25mm bar in the back for around a year now. No stress fractures on the LCA's yet. I don't drive like an insane person though.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:04 PM   #9
soon to be turbo!

Fan#: 48278
What I Drive: 06 silver ZX4 ST

Points 8,020, Level 60
Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60 Points: 8,020, Level: 60
Level Up 35% Completed
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 48 Blackcatn2o Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetrinka View Post
Eh I am riding on SVT springs/dampers with a 25mm bar in the back for around a year now. No stress fractures on the LCA's yet. I don't drive like an insane person though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Zeppelin View Post
From what I've heard the only time they break is with the REAL BIG rear sways like the 28.6mm. The ones that get sent in a set from Eibach are I think 25mm so you should be all good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zantar View Post
I run the 28.6mm and SVT suspension, I have not had any problems. Years ago people said that the 25mm would cause LCAs to break. You can't believe everything you read on the internet.
You dont have drive like an insane person to brake one of these arms. I dont care what anyone says, ANY thing over 25mm your taking a risk with the LCA's breaking or haveing the welded mount rip out of the frame.

this is from FJ.com

this is what happen's when you dont renforce the frame for the 28.6

If you are conserned about your LCA's breaking i have a set for sale that i renforced.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 45622
What I Drive: 88 5-speed XR4TI

FF Reputation: 180 jetrinka Excellent Standing Member jetrinka Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
What kind of front swaybar were these two examples running by chance? I seriously doubt if they were running a larger front swaybar in addition to the big rear this would have happened. The Focus chassis is extremely stiff. Just yesterday I jacked it up pretty darn high behind the front passenger wheel. Had 3 wheels off the ground. If you are using a big rear bar with the stocker front bar that rear bar is going to have to compensate for a lot of the lacking on the heavier end of the car, hence breaking these arms.

I am willing to bet the guy in the first pic has the Eibach front sway (22mm) as well judging from the rear sway and spring colors. With the stock weight distribution of the Focus I really feel like a bigger front bar than 22 is needed to keep that rear one in check. Sure it may rotate nice and feel great but the amount of stress being put on that rear bar is just immense as it tries to make up for what is lacking up front.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.