tire pressure question - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2008, 07:05 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 52076
What I Drive: 2007, red,SE, sedan

FF Reputation: 1 sysmex Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
tire pressure question

I just installed 18 inch rims on my Focus. I have no experience with such low profile tires. Should I still run Fords recomended tire pressure settings? I am using 215 35 R18 Nitto tires

Eibach suspension and pine air freshner

Last edited by sysmex; 11-07-2008 at 06:58 AM.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55853
What I Drive: 2005 Pitch Black ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 9 FucusFace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (10)
I always run 2-5psi less than the tire max spec. If your new tire spec is 50-60psi, the Ford 34psi spec is too low. You will get too much flex in the tire and wear on the edges. You live in a hot climate, so I would go somewhere in the range of 5-8psi less than max when the car has been sitting since the pressure will increase as the tires heat up.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FucusFace View Post
I always run 2-5psi less than the tire max spec. If your new tire spec is 50-60psi, the Ford 34psi spec is too low. You will get too much flex in the tire and wear on the edges. You live in a hot climate, so I would go somewhere in the range of 5-8psi less than max when the car has been sitting since the pressure will increase as the tires heat up.
I disagree, the maximum pressure on the tire sidewall is just that, its the absolute maximum that can be used in the tire. It has NOTHING to do with what is appropriate to actually use. Its a really bad starting point to suggest!

Start with the manufacturers recommended spec for the specific tire. Adjust upwards or even downward from there. Tire manufacturers suggest that when plus sizing has been used an increase of two pounds per plus/size increase is the most that is usually needed. For the street its unlikely you'll need or want more than 4 or so PSI increase to maintain a balance between ride comfort and handling. Even the autocross boys won't use much more than 40-42 PSI. They simply find the sweet spot where the sidewalls and tire shoulder no longer roll over and a consistent temperature is maintained across the full width of the tread (that means optimal surface contact has been achieved). The best way to do this is with a pyrometer.

Too much pressure reduces traction, is responsible for blowouts and tire damage (sidewall ply separation), results in longer stopping distances, and causes the suspension (the dampers) to work much harder than they need to. High pressure tires act like an overfilled basketball and bounce excessively causing the springs to become overly active and causing the dampers to work overtime trying to keep everything in contact with the ground.

Start with the recommended pressure and adjust it in one or two pound increments until a good balance is reached.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:18 AM   #4
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 14,165, Level 77
Points: 14,165, Level: 77 Points: 14,165, Level: 77 Points: 14,165, Level: 77
Level Up 29% Completed
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (18)
Geezer is 110% right, NEVER run your tires at max psi, or even anywhere near that number, ITS JUST NOT SAFE. The air pressure in the tires are set to the car, not the tire, because all tires do not have the same max psi rating, where this set might be max of 55psi, the next set might be 45psi, so the max psi will never be the same unless you buy the same tires all the time.

i would run about 36-38 psi in those tires, slight add in pressure will give you a little more protection for your rims, and give you a smooth enough ride a well. i say start around 36 and adjust as you need too but never run anywhere near the max psi rating
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.