Alignment Problems, Camber Kits - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis

Brakes, Suspension & Body Chassis The place to go for answers on brakes, suspension, camber, alignment and more.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 51249
What I Drive: 2004 Red SVT ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 joanvito Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Alignment Problems, Camber Kits

Here is the deal, my camber is bad, real bad. I need to adjust it about 2.5 degrees. I'm pushing at least -3.5 on each wheel and it eating through tires. so anyone know what camber kits to get on the front. I have seen the cheap ones and the super expensive ones but am not sure which way to go.

Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1427
What I Drive: 99 miata, 05Mazda6, 09GTI, 12Imprez

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
That is a lot of camber....how much of a drop do you have? Is the camber issue on both front and rear? Rear camber bolts will only reduce it about 1 degree and front camber plates aren't good for a whole lot more. There are adjustable rear upper control arms but yes they are pricey. In the meantime get your toe set to as close to zero both front and rear (a tad of toe out in front and just a little toe in in the rear would be ideal but don't worry about that just yet...lets save the tires to the degree possible first. This will buy you some time and reduce tie wear. A lot of camber combined with moderate to high toe settings is probably causing the problem. So you have to adjust both. I think you still need to go lower than the -2.5 degrees you mentioned. -1.5 degrees would be a whole lot better.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

The rear camber is fine but the toe is pretty bad as well so it is probably good to do that first. what i meant by -2.5 was to move back 2.5 degrees to about 1, not to move it to -2.5. sorry for any confusion about that. I'm going to go get my alignment done and then reassess the problem.
Old 10-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic

FF Reputation: 141 Geezer Excellent Standing Member Geezer Excellent Standing Member
Please clarify if you can.... How are you getting -3.5 degrees of negative camber up front? I don't think that's possible with the stock suspension. Do you have aftermarket lowering springs and how low are they? The reason I keep asking is if you have lowered springs, then they are the camber culprit and it might be cheaper to go to another spring than buy all the camber correcting stuff. If you don't have lowering springs then you may have front end damage (bent control arms for example) that is causing the problem.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #5
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I have a 1" lower, I also have the original springs.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:26 PM   #6
The Librarian

Fan#: 5157
What I Drive: '04 Sonic Blue - SVT 3Door

FF Reputation: 138 WD40 Excellent Standing Member WD40 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
I'm with Geezer...check your suspension components.
That's a HUGE amount of camber for only 1" drop.
Something's got to be bent.

How even is the camber from side to side?
Is it really -3.5° on both left and right?
Are you guessing, or have you had it to a shop, and can show us a printout of the alignment settings?

EDIT...after mulling over the subject for a bit...
The LCR plates (which I have) should allow you to reduce the camber by a little over 2°,
but check your components to see if something's bent first.

If you've got stock upper strut mount/bearing retainer plates, and only 1" lower, you should be nowhere near -3.5°.
I'm sitting at -2.1° with Koni springs. (about a 1/2" drop over stock SVT springs),
and that's with the plates cranked in as far as they'll go without hitting the strut tower.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:21 AM   #7
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

I have a read out from the shop and it was -3.4 and -3.3 on the right and left respectively. I saw those and i am not sure they would be enough without the raise. anyone know how much it would cost to switch the springs?
Old 10-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
Focus Fanatic

How did you get a one inch drop using stock springs? Are you using some other devise to lower the car (spring compressors, aftermarket shocks with lower spring seats, etc)? A stock SVT easily meets Ford alignment specs unless there is damage or some other outside influence. There's a possiblity that the readings you received are incorrect as well. It may be worth while taking it somewhere else for a second opinion. Some shops will do only an alignment check (no adjustments) for a reduced fee> I've even seen some tire shops advertise checks for free.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:56 PM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

No I have other springs on the car, but i still have the old ones so i wouldn't need to pay for new springs.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.