Focus Fanatics Forum banner

road racing

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  garyk 
#1 ·
anyone here do this? or are you all strictly 1/4 mile and auto-X folks?

#3 ·
I road race, but I do it on motorcycles, there is a guy nbamed gary kole that roadraces a svt focus. I met him at summit point one weekend, nice guy in his 40's with a full cage ( reguired) in the svt, the neat part is he still keeps the tags on the car for the street. Most people drag because it is easy, I have a wagon so I think autocrossing would be rough, now the porsche 914 I have,....hmmmm.

#6 ·
i'm thinking about doing some SCCA or NASA stuff whenever the car is paid off. but i'm building up my stockpile of parts to handle the requirements. like, the 8-point cage is going in soon, and i'll be getting seats and harnesses soon, as well as focusing on the suspension system, etc. once the warranty is up, turbo or supercharger will go in to aide in the low-end torque department.

#8 ·
I just tried it for the first time yesterday at Nelson ledges . It was a Fundayz event, a blast and a half. About 20 cars showed up. From an Indy type open wheel to 2 mini coopers. It wasnt a sanctioned race, just everyones "own personal best". we were all on the track at the same time. check it out, there is another next fri. http://fastone.com/Nelson99/dayz02.html Oh, I was in my stock Svtf and it really held its own , only limited by MY ineptness.

#10 ·
hey vinney

thanks for that age guess. actually i am 52. anyone who would like to get a ridealong when i am at summit point (go there for almost all open track days, nasa and emra events) are welcome to see if you like it. i most likely will miss the 11/1 &2 nasa event as i will be going to carolina motorsports to instruct. there are some good shots of car at summit on another site. pm me if you would like info. and vinney, finally broke down and got coilovers. now i can use 3rd gear in one and five at summit. and can carry 4th from turn seven till pit out on front straight and catch 5th gear there. on 10/1 ate up several 911's and an m3 on the inside of nine. the car really handles now. now what do i do with the intax and goldline springs and the spax adjustable shocks and struts.

#11 ·
Gary, use the site and sell them to someone on here. You are running third through 5? ewwww. The bikes go much slower than the cars through 5 . I would love to go around with you up there whenever I make it. We'll have to hook up . does that thing have enough butt to stay ahead till the bridge when you get them in 9?

#12 ·
3rd gear

yes if they take the stupid line and follow the track edge.i stay in the middle w/steering wheel about on dotted lines by the bridge and straight down to ten. a little brake and onto the straight. i was suprised how well the little bugger took the hill in 4th. it might be a little faster in 3rd, but much smoother in 4th. every less downshift means two less shifts. and third was comfortable in 5, shift to 4th before seven. my buddy rob talked me into trying it and he was right. i used to be in 4th on front straight till timing tower, now im in 5th by pit out. btw, the idiot in the m3 was going into turn8 from the left side of the track. also caught (almost tailended) a poorly driven gt3 porsche going into one. money doesnt mean talent. and vinny thanks again for the 40's comment.

#13 ·
No problem, us old guys have to help each other out..lol. I have street driven a gt3 and no offense to the svt, you shouldn't even be near one ( properly driven)..I have been saying that on this board since I started. I bad driver in an awesome car can always be beat by a good driver in a good car!

#14 ·
I lost to a 65 year old woman in her Cadillac. My wife will back that up! She wanted to race me at a light and blew me away. I have never seen anything like it before!!!!!

#16 ·
That makes me happy to hear that... I know if I still have most of my reflexes you would not want to run me when I'm 65...by then I'll have the money to have STUPID fast cars and I'll be hitten my mid-life crisis. lol.

#17 ·
no offense about gt3. i owned exotics in my past life, including lots of porsches. i was behind a slow 911 and tried to be polite by letting gt by w/a wave through. my bad. btw theres a gentleman in his seventies who runs a very fast audi at summit, harold. 500 hp vettes could not catch him. and i rember this fella p.l.newman who won a few scca titles and didnt start racing until he was in his fifties. cmon out. we will drink beer and tell lies. the more beers, the faster we'll be in our stories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.