Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Helmets

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Oni 
#1 ·
im lookin for helmets for autoX, anyone know a site with good deals? i dont feel like spending over 300 bucks for a helmet, and in 2 years gotta buy a nother one, so any links or know somewhere or can give me advice on whats what would be great, thanks all and ROCK ON!!!!!!!

#2 ·
eBay, I got mine on there for like $30 shipped. It was an older model and it was used, but the liners pull out and they could be washed so after I got that done and cleaned the outside it turned out great. Unfortunately now its no longer up to spec, ugh. They have good deals though just keep watching, espcially if you have an off size head (read: not size large)

#4 ·
HJC helmets are good and cheap. Got mine from the local Yamaha dealership for $150. They wouldn't thrown an R1 in with it though. [:(]

*tinted visor was $20 from eBay.

For the record, I wouldn't buy a used helmet, you don't know what it's been through, and helmets are deemed not re-usable after any impact.

#5 ·
^^thats why i dont wanna buy used, becuase yea...i dont wanna get a blast to the head if i roll or what not, we got 2 snowmobile helmets and 2 atv helmets but i dont know what spec they are, not to sure about a tag inside or not that says?!?

#6 ·
Must be Snell 95 approved or newer for Autocross competition.

#10 ·
Most any M-rated helmet (like your snowmobile/ATV) will be completely legal for Autocross as well. The only downside of them is that they are designed to break apart on the initial impact, whereas specific auto racing helmets (like the Snell-rated helmets) are designed to stay together for several impacts, like bouncing off a roll cage 4-5 times.

#11 ·
And to add to Aaron's comments, (Carrera26) as I understand it helmet standards aren't the same from motorcycles to ATV's to Auto Racing. Because the accidents for each type of vehicle are different, the testing, standards, helmet construction and general usability are different.

I wouldn't typically reccomend buying a motorcycle/atv/snowmobile helmet for use in an automobile but if you are just going to auto-x I guess you just need something around your head for protection. So I guess with that line of thinking, there's nothing wrong with picking up a used helmet. I know that when I was auto-xing last year, the SCCA had "loaner" helmets that the newbs could use on a per run basis. Those "loaner" helmets weren't broken in for the newbs so I can't say that it matters too much in a parking lot.

But beware, odds are that if you want to take your car to a track day at Watkins Glen with an organization like Trackmasters, they won't let you use your motorcycle/atv/snowmobile helmet. So if you're planning on doing more than just the standard cone racing, I'd invest in something Snell rated specifically for Autmobile racing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.