Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Perfect auto-x wheel

12K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  tigercrazy718 
#1 · (Edited)
The perfect auto-x wheel would be:
light, affordable, 15" but clears SVT brakes, wide sizing, right offset, right bolt pattern.

May i present to you my latest wheels,
949Racing, 6UL: 15x10", 14 lbs, $210 each, clears SVT brakes

yes, this is a 4x100 wheel, but thats where neat part happens.

a stock 6UL has 6.3" backspacing which is a touch too much, so it lends itself perfectly to a 15mm spacer changing the bolt pattern from 4x108 to 4x100. which i got on ebay HERE for $70

i should also mention that the 15x9 works too, thats what i borrowed to test fit before i bought these. However i think with the 15x8 wheel, it doest have the high backspacing, so with the spacer it would stick out almost as much as the 15x9

so, happy autocrossing!

on to the pics and the proof

my SVT used for test fitting

my helper

See less See more
#3 ·
I've heard that running with spacers isn't exactly safe. Puts more stress on the stock studs.

But all in all, they look great.

Now If I remember reading in the past, don't the Rota Slipstream 15" fit over the SVT Brakes and so do the Motegi TrackLites ...

-Ray-

#4 ·
im not worried about the studs, it'll be the hubs that go considering the lateral load i get from the 275 hoosiers. anyways, people run spacers all the time with no problems.

yes, rota slips fit i think with a spacer, im not sure about the tracklites, but there is also team dynamic wheels that fit, OZ superlegeras and diamond racing wheels.

however, none of those (except the diamonds) are very wide. These wheels are uber wide.

#6 ·
ya, the Rev 8, however they're a different wheel with no promise of lightweight or brake clearance, and the date keeps getting pushed back.

I'm dying to buy a pair of those in 15x8 for the back end of the car. I'm stuck with a 15x7" right now

#11 ·
update!

i weight the spacers, they are 1.5lbs. so that puts total wheel + spacers at just over 15lbs. And i mounted the tires.

Also, i found that the 4x108 studs were just barely contacting the back of the wheel (too long) so instead of shortening the studs, I drilled some divots in the back of the wheel.

There is about 1/2 a finger width between the tire and the strut.

ugh, its dirty and my hacked fenders... soon will have flares to cover it. This is the car I'll be running the wheels. the red SVT was just to check over the brakes (which the grey car is soon upgrading to)

#13 ·
i already know how the tire will perform, I've used it for the last two seasons.
But i am curious how much of an effect losing 5 lbs of rotating mass on each corner will have.

#14 ·
Nice. Dig the dogs in the car shot. lol.

Good luck with running with those and definitely let us know what the performance difference is between your old setup and these.

-Ray-

#15 ·
So i ran my first event on the new wheels.
I really like the reverse stagger, even so, it still took a few runs in the morning to heat up the rear tires (225/45R15).
I made so many changes to the car recently, that it is hard to tell the difference that the weight loss (in the wheels) made.
but overall the car feels very fast.
in the slaloms, the car is faster than i can smoothly move my arms, so i have some learning to do.
i updated some pics and vids HERE

#17 ·
update.

Car is running well. I took first in FSP at the Packwood National Tour in a class of 7 (paxed 41 out of 269). However Omni wasnt there, so didnt have that benchmark to compare to. I also took FTD at a local event (first time in my own car) hosted by the Porche club.

A few event ago I ended up breaking one of my spacers. Fortunately the wheel stayed on. I found the dmg when I was changing tire at the end of the day. So, ebay.... u get what you pay for I guess.

I had my friend who is a machinest make me some custom spacers. I made the dimensions bigger compared to the ebay ones, so now it has twice the cross sectional area (twice as strong). It also meant that i made them thicker, 19mm, and they gained some weight (now 2lbs). And i can be certain on the alloy and heat treat of the metal. (6061 T6)

anyways, thats all i got for now.

#20 ·
thanks, Videos exist, but they're on my co-drivers GoPro and he is slow at uploading them.

#21 ·
those are some huge wheels for a focus lol. i just got my svt so im a little shady on the rules for stock classes, but do the spacers and such knock you out of stock class? and do you have to roll/remove the fenders to fit those bad boys under there?

#22 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.