Focus Fanatics Forum banner

DSP build - opinions and suggestions welcome

7K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  GodLovesUgly 
#1 ·
So after having a talk with my brother Zab, we have finally decided what we want to do in the near future. I''ve been racing against 2 SVT foci in ST (Zab's and Tukani's (Ray)) in my Eclipse.. and so far its been fun but we feel like its in DSP where its at!
We all know that at national level, BMWs own DSP..but before I get down to the future mod list I'd like to ask if there's anyone who has actually fully built a true DSP Focus to the point where you could actually said "I've done everything I could..but Im still loosig!" kind of thing.. I believe if we max out the Street Prepared rule book we might actually have a chance at 2013-2014 Nationals. (hoping the world doesnt end in 2012.. LoL)

Suspension:Zab's SVT has all stock suspension, except for Moog endlinks up front and Energy Suspension on the rear..so:
Koni Yellows with H&R Race springs
H&R rear sway bar
Stock front sway bar with new bushings
CFM tubular control arms
Rear Stress bar
Front strut tower brace
Polyurethane bushings where needed

Under the hood:
Zab's SVT is already equiped with:
AEM cold air intake
Steeda motor mounts
CFM dogbone mount with Race bushings
Taylor wires
Copper plugs
130amp alternator from CFM
The entire A/C system is there, but its running on a shorter belt skipping the compressor.
It used to have Tom's tune, but somehow messed it up and its back to stock. But we are already working on getting it re-tuned.

Plan on getting:
67mm throttle body
3" header back exhaust with ORP
lightweight battery
Maybe - TopSpeed's intake manifold
We are planning on keeping the engine internals as they are....for now..

Brakes:
PowerSlot cryo treated rotors
Hawk pads
Stainless steel brake lines
DOT4 brake fluid
New seals for calipers

Transmision:Clutchmasters Lightweight flywheel + clutch combo
MTL RedLine transmision fluid
LSD *need advice!

Weight Reduction:
Carbon fiber hood
carbon fiber hatch (maybe)
Racing seats (not sure which brand/style yet)
Back seat delete

Wheels and Tires:
275/35-15 Hoosies on either 9" or 10" wide wheels for divisionals and nationals --not sure which wheels to get *need advice!
225/40-16 for regionals

Im sure I missed a few things.. but we would like to hear from yall. Suggestions and opinions are very much welcome [thumb]

See less See more
#3 ·
Correct, this stuff has to stay stock in street prepared.
On another note, it is most likely that the SVT will be going to FSP next year. It is not sure if all the foci will be on the same line or not, but we shall see.

Check out my thread for a street prepared build discussion. Looks like you're on the right track though. You need a solution for getting more camber of front though, either modifying the control arms, or adding camber plates.

#4 ·
i believe there is another guy on the forums that has a pretty competitive DSP svt, but i'm not sure if the car would ever knock out a 325/328IS at the national level.
but FSP, it would be near the top IMO.
plus, an FSP/DSP SVT would be extremely fun to drive! after all, that's what it's all about.

#5 ·
I was not aware of the carbon fiber stuff.. I must have got my rulebooks mixed up..

I guess at SP level the differences between an SVT and a regular ZX3 become less noticable.. so keeping them in FSP would make sense, though kinda unfair for the ZX3s

Fun?? OOOOH yes! I autox'd Zab's focus once and it was waaaay easier (wich made it more fun) than my Eclipse.. I ended up spinning out but Im sure I would have got a better time. I've shaved off some weight off of it and Im still sitting at 3050pounds! plus a 155pound driver..

I guess a quafie LSD would be our best choice..?
which 15" wheels would clear the SVT breaks?

#6 ·
well.. not too unfair for the zx3. i think the 2.3 zx3 would still beat up on the SVT. more low end power.
quafie LSD would be the way to go for sure. IF it's going to be a nationally driven car. locally, you could get away with a Torsen.
not too many wheels will clear the SVT brakes. rota slipstreams will.

#7 ·
Quafie it is then [thumb] Thanx
yea we were thinking about getting slipstreams but we want to go as wide as we can on 15" wheels.. I think they only go up to 7.5. We might have better luck with 16s then.

#8 ·
You'll want to take a close look at what's available for wheels and tires. Chech out diamond racing for wide steelies. They should have 15 and 16's available. I see that hoosier has a 275 now for a 16, but it looks to be a bit tall. May be an issue for gearing.

#9 ·
I'll check them out. Thanx.
yea Zab's currently racing on 215/45-16s, which are smaller diameter from stock and they did change the gearing. we are hoping to have an even smaller diameter on 275/35-15s to help out 2nd gear a little more.

#10 ·
It sucks that my first post on this thread has to be about this, but here it goes...

So the SVT is normally parked at a storage and literally, only used on race days or when we have a local focus meet, we had a photo shoot with Ray this past weekend and on Monday afternoon when I was driving it back to the storage and get the miata, this girl who had a yeild left turn hit mme in the rear driver side of the axle, the cop that showed up wrote the girl a ticket and now im dealing with her insurance, they haven't looked at the car yet so I don't know if they'll total it or not, we hope they do since the rear axle is bent on both sides and if they try to get it straight God knows what they'll do to it to try to do it and we don't want to risk it with a fragile suspension part.

I'm ok, a little back pain which I need to get looked at but ok
I have some pictures...

Thanks to every one for y'alls advices and suggestions but it seems like this dream has come to an end

Zab

#12 ·
frame is bent though.. the passengers side rear tire is bent inwards, front tires just looks crooked.. we couldnt even get the hood open yesterday =/ we dont know what's that about. We're still waiting on what the insurance has to say about it. Good thing tho Zab's ok! this being his 2nd wreck and still without a scratch!

#17 ·
I had the exact same thing happen to me. The total cost was 3000 to fix it.New quarter panel, wheel and lower trailing arm. Just an FYI the rubber material of the newer arms are softer than the older ones. I found this out this weekend replacing the bushings in arms with polyurethane. The newer one wasn't as stiff as the older one and was falling apart. Might check or just replace with polyurethane ones. Also camber is a little off on that side but nothing camber arms wont fix.

#18 ·
^^ that's close to the estimate the insurance adjuster came up with and it wasn't until yesterday that. The insurance gave the go ahead with the repairs, the guy at the shop will start ordering parts today and they'll start taking it apart today or monday :)

#19 ·
So ... when are you guys going to get the car back??

You know, I want to help wrench out some things for to create this ultimate DSP ride you are going for Izzy and Zab ... [;)]

-Ray-

#20 ·
we dont know when we'll get the car back.. the guy at the shop said it could take from 7 to 10 business days.
And Yes help will be very much needed and appreciated [thumb] after we get the car back and get some finances straight we'll start ordering parts for it.. hopefully we'll have some extra cash from the insurance to get things rolling a little quicker LoL

#22 ·
There are a couple of things
1. Have you heard of update & backdating, it means you can put the little brake from the early Focus's and then put the 15" wheels on. For autocross brake are not a big deal.
2. Be careful what you do to the motor, The engines block, head, trans (but you can update & backdate this part for the right 2nd gear ratio) Diff gear have to be stock on the focus but you have 9 to chose from.

The rules can work for you or against you, work on 1 thing at a time and double check the rule book so you don't waste money.

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.