Focus Fanatics Forum banner

No Fuel During Hard Cornering

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  norcalfocus01 
#1 ·
I participated in my first rally cross event last weekend. I'm definately hooked after only one event. However, I arrived at the run with slightly less than 1/2 tank of gas to save some weight. During hard cornering, I would completely lose fuel pressure and the engine would stall. On the hardest right turn on the course I could get it to completely stall out and would have to do a rolling start to continue. Luckily I was able to go get a fill up after my first three runs. My next three runs were much better with a full tank, no problems at all. Has anyone else here had this problem? What can I do to remedy it (asside from a full gas tank). Thank you for any input.

#3 ·
I was always told to run with a full tank. Reason ... sure its more weight ... but less liquid moving.

All of those hard turns push the liquids around and in a full tank they don't move as much.

But ... I have ran once or twice with a 1/2 a tank and haven't ran into those problems before ...

Might need to check your fuel pump or fuel filter. Might not be letting enough fuel go to the engine to at least have a few fumes of reserve before saying ... oh out of fuel.

-Ray-

#5 ·
Sounds like your ride really wants a full tank to take the corners.

You are probably rolling alot having half the tank move past the fuel pump and letting nothing go into the fuel lines.

Good remedy to that would be good stiff shocks.

-Ry-

#7 ·
IMHO ... the SVT Shocks and Springs roll alot.

My SVT is under re-construction at the moment and I drove another members SVT on the Stock setup ... and my goodness every turn I was on 3 wheels. Lots of roll.

Okay ... what about checking your Injectors? Have you cleaned them lately? Be surprised how much better they run with a bit of cleaning.

-Ray-

#8 ·
I bought the SVT set up from the ford racing site. IDK if that is exactly the same at stock SVT or not, but it felt very stiff to me. It is drastically stiffer than stock SE focus. I did a bottle of STP injector cleaner in a full tank. someone else suggest that I do another one on a half tank but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not.

#9 ·
I believe you want to do that once every so often not back to back.

Yeah the Ford Racing site SVT Package is the same as the stock set up. If you bought the Saleen package though ... that would be the Eibach Pro Kit.

Well ... the only other thing that comes to mind is your tune. My buddies Mazda Speed3 ... the stock tune is pretty restrictive during AutoX. When he takes a turn hard, it actually cuts off the turbo and turns on the TC then when he levels out ... turns back on the Turbo and lets him slide again.

-Ray-

#11 ·
Keeping the tank at full shouldn't hurt your time one bit. Its a good safety for just incase.

Happy running ... and don't forget to find a way to record your runs and post them in our AutoX video thread. Would look forward to seeing your runs.

-Ray-

#13 ·
I don't even autocross and have experienced this on the way into work in the morning. Same like you said on hard right turns is the only time it happens to me, too.

I've never seen a cutaway of the Focus gastank, but I'm betting their isn't a baffle below the fuel pump to prevent this from happening.

#17 ·
The 00-01 fuel pumps were known to do this. I had the same problem with my 01. Mid 02 Ford changed the design on the basket and the way to connect to the tank to solve the issue. I put in a 02.5 tank/pump and have no more issues.

You have two options, find a 02.5 tank/pump and swap out your gas tank, or you can buy the 02.5 pump/basket and modifiey it to fit your tank. I believe that Steve at Toulsey ford can get you prices and info on doing the later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.