Focus Fanatics Forum banner

A bit of help please, after a year, going back

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  tukaniSVT 
#1 ·
So, yes, after a year of no AutoXing ... for family, personal and car issue reasons, I am going back.

But I need a bit of help.

First, what are the good places to order a SA2010 Helmet? Good prices and all. I use to have a Bell Helmet, but I am open to the other good brands.

And then on to Tires:
I am actually looking for some 16s for my SVT ... If I could find 15s that fit the SVT that WOULD BE AWESOME.

Anyways, for the 16 group: Tires
I am looking at the -
Dunlop: DZ101 or Sport Z1
BF Goodrich GSport.

Thoughts? Thanks

-Ray-

#2 ·
go with another Bell Helmet man. we have just come out with some new SA2010 helmets and you should start to see them anywhere Bell helmets are sold. (i work for Bell) i could probably get you a discount on a helmet but with shipping it might equal out to be the same if you just ordered one. find one you like and i'll see what i can do.

rota slips in the 15" will fit. you can find them at 18racing.com

as for tires, in the 16 series i would also recommend the Kumho Ecsta XS tires in the 215/45/16. i think those will out grip the Gsport & DZ101s after being warmed up a bit.
the sport Z1s will out grip the kumhos but the sizes aren't the best. (225/50/16; 205/50/16; 205/55/16)

i think the 215/45/16 will be your best bet with the gearing on these things.

#3 ·
Hey Thanks man ... Yeah I figured I would be spending between 225-250 for a helmet at the moment.

So, if you could save me a bit on shipping that would be awesome.

Do you work at a particular store with a website or is it just Bellhelmets.com?

Thanks for the info on the Rotas ... Are they really 470 SHIPPED FOR A SET?!?!?!? No Way ... Nice.

I just might order those after all.

When I go back start the session in January, I want at least the helmet and either 4 new tires or 4 new wheels. Then in January I will buy either 4 new tires or 4 new wheels ...

So I will run with my 17s at the moment with the Kumho Esctas that are on there as my daily for the SVT ... and when February hits, I should be able to switch into either the 15s or 16s ... MY HOPES FOR THE 15s!!!

Spreading my money just a bit because Holidays is kinda taking away from most of my funds. And the wife wouldn't be too happy with me spending close to 1000 bucks just on me ... without spending an equal amount on her ... lol.

**EDIT** FF REP For the Help Man.

-Ray-

#4 ·
I can still run the SA 2005 right? I believe a local is selling his 2005SA for cheap ... so just asking.

If I remember right, it's every 10 years that you need to change out your helmet.

-Ray-

#5 ·
np, thanks for the rep.

well i work for Easton Bell Sports, i get a discount on a wide variety of products.
so i would just recommend you finding a helmet you like and i'll see if we've got it. (which i should)
the rating is good for 10 years. you are correct.

yeah the Rotas are a great deal for a super light *perfect* size. the only thing i've heard about the wheels is that they are not the strongest. but for something like autocross/track days only, they should be just fine.

#6 ·
Yeah, AutoX was the only reason why I wanted them. I have daily wheels ... and I really don't drive my SVT but 2-3 times month these days. Bought a SUV for a daily beater now.

Should I go with the 15s or just stay safe with the 16s?

If I go 15s ... what size tire would you recommend?

-Ray-

#7 ·
same, that's why i will most likely go with a set of Rotas.

personally, i would go with the 16x7 but if you get the 15s i would recommend the 45 offest.

i like the tires that are available in a 16 if you run a street tire. race tires are another story.

Edit: gearing is a big factor in choosing a wheel too. with my stock 17s it was hard for me to decide weather i wanted to shift or keep it in 1st. WD told me that a 16" wheel with a 45 series tire would help with that. i'm sure another season of working on my driving will help that as well!

#8 ·
correct WD & i both run 16x7.. 215/45/16 for autoX, it's a great size for our car, and if i were to run a rota 15x7.5 i'd try a 225/45/15 [thumb]
just a thought 16's don't have alot of options for us in "R" compounds sadly kumho has a 215 45 16 which works great for me.
as far as a helmet, i like my open-face g-force gf750, was like 160. shipped from summit racing a few years back.
good to see ya getting back into autocross!

#9 ·
Thanks for the info focusedaddiction. Its great that you run with Doug. I would love to run with Doug, he knows alot and would definitely be helpful.

I am going to get the 16s as oppose to the 15s ... because 2 years ago, I upgraded my brakes to drill and slotted brakes ... little did I know, it would hurt me in the long run.

As for the "R" Compounds ... I just decided to jump back in ... so I am not ready for those yet. A friend let me drive his Integra with "R" compounds ... I nearly hurt myself.
Love the grip ... just not ready for that much yet.

-Ray-

#10 ·
There are about 4 tires that dominate Street Tire Classes in SCCA autocross.

Sadly, everything else falls short.

If you want the best ur looking at either the Hankook Rs-3, Star Spec, Re-11, or Toyo Proxies. Hands down, no other tires really compare for street tire class. Just take a look at the national tour and solo national results.

The RS-3's to me are VERY good and are good priced. I have had good luck with them.

If you want the best street tire for autocross then choose from this list!

#11 ·
Thanks for the info ... I will look into those.

When my paycheck goes through tomorrow, I will be ordering SA2010 helmet and registering for SCCA here in Houston membership. Then signing up for the AutoX that happens in early January for us.

-Ray-

#12 ·
Okay ... so, I am looking for tires in the 215/45/16 ... and there aren't that many ...

Hmmm ... Those 15s are starting to look good again.

-Ray-

#13 ·
Would 205/45/16 hurt?? I found plenty of tire choices there ... just asking.

I found some Continental Extreme Contacts in TireRack for $100/ea.

-Ray-

#14 ·
honestly man, i wouldn't start out with the "best" street autocross tires.. sticky tires really hide bad driving habits. i started last season with some cheap summer tires and i firmly believe they helped me as a driver ten fold.

if you want sticky tires in that size then the ecsta XS tires will be fine. that's what i run and they are grippy enough for a second year driver like myself. especially when i'm still trying to find the car so to speak.

edit: the 205s won't be THAT bad, you definitely want to get the biggest contact patch without pinching but, that's more important at the national level..

#15 ·
Thanks ... yeah, I just wanted to look at all of the options again ...

I feel like such a newb again ... after a year, and it does not at all feel like riding a bicycle ... lol.

Thanks for the info. But if the wider contact helps with the grip and turnability ... then I would rather go for that. Why do it half-ass if I can go ahead and learn the right way with the right width from the start.

And for my January run ... I will be running my stock size 17s with heavy wheels until all of this stuff comes in ... so, there I will see what I have lost and the hill that I must climb to get back up to good.

-Ray-

#17 ·
Being in TX ... I have a lot of reading for tonight and tomorrow to figure which class I fit in with my mods.

... But obviously not in the Stock "NO Mod" Class" ...

Since there are so many people in TX that run in the ST class ... it has been broken down into 6 categories within the ST class. ... there's where my reading comes in.

And they will probably stamp a Rookie sticker on my car while I run as well. And I need to find a number that hasn't been taken and call my buddy that does the magnetic numbers to make me a new one.

Lots to get ready ... and to hope that whatever helmet I order tomorrow ... will be here before the 1st of the year.

-Ray-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.