Focus Fanatics Forum banner

starting auto cross in my city

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  thehubster 
#1 ·
I am sure that this has been asked before but i am going to anyway. has anyone on here ever been involved in getting autocross started in their city. What would it take to get this done besides things like a place and a demand for it. Any help would be much apreciated. thank you.

#2 ·
i would shoot an email to SCCA to get more specifics, but there would be a ton more involved, like getting a truck and trailer, supplies, safety stewards.. the whole 9 yards.
is region # 41 far from you? (texas region) it looks close on the map, but texas is a huge state!

#3 ·
ya its almost three hours away and i don't have the time to travel like that. I have heard several people i know express how they would like it if there where auto cross here in town. there is an airforce base here with about 6000 people on it. i know several who would be interested in doing this. As for the truck and all of that. I really don't think it would be that big to start with. Heck to start it would probably be very simple classes and simple timing. When one class is running the others would be working the course. Of course this is all predicated on the assumption that there would be anyone there in the first place. So to start i really don't think i would work with the whole nine yards. I think it would take time for it really catch on but i believe it would. As for talking to the SCCA i wanted to talk to some of the folks here first to see if there was even any validity in trying. thanks for your advice though. :)

#4 ·
The biggest obstacles are most likely insurance and access to a good site. Sounds like you have the later. If you are located in a region, you may look to establish youself as a local chapter of that region. Here in the carolinas we have several independant clubs that operate with scca rules and insurance, but they are indepenent. There are options there too.
Posted via FF Mobile

#6 ·
It's not hard and if you keep it grass roots to begin with will stay that way.
A friend and I started it where I live. First is to locate a lot, usually a city owned is the best to start out with as buisnesses require alot of hoops to jump through.
Here we use a lot at the softball complex and got with the city street department who loans us the needed cones (after securing the lot use from the parks department).
The hardest part was the event insurance which runs about 400 per day for 1 mil coverage (some cities have or will donate this the first time. Or get with local car clubs who also have this type of insurance for shows).
You will also need disclaimer forms, etc.

Also realize a persons car insurance does not cover them in racing events, they are on their own if they turn turtle.

ours is total word of mouth and we still have 25 or more cars show up. best free advertising.

#7 ·
Wow ... only 25 cars ... makes a quick AutoX session.

We see 200+ at the autoX here in houston. Long days and waiting time to run.

-Ray-

#8 ·
last one was 25, the one before was 42. We say 3 runs for sure, but it usually ends up being 6 plus if they want to. You have to realize this town is only 25k people (on a good day). With more money, expensive cars, than brains.
One of our club members is a ferari collector ( has a 64 fully race documented and factory rebody to a coupe in 69. Nothing like the sound of 12 race tuned cylinders).
Ours is kept on more of a fun platform with nothing more than bragging rights. Everyone just enjoys coming out and throttling the piss out of them.
Keeps everything way less of a headache for us.
Hell, the top time was a 41:09 from a built wrx, and here I was tricycling the 07 sedan around the corners to a best of 44:05...lol
It's all in fun and everyone helps with the work

#9 ·
^^^^^^^ that is kind of what i am looking at doing. I would love to start something like that. The Church that i go to just put in a new parking lot and it is by far the largest parking lot in town. I want to figure alot of things out before i even mention it to them so that i can answer any questions that they ask. ^^^ How often do you guys run, like once a month, twice a month? Who do you have the insurance through? do you and your friend handle that personally or go through one of the clubs in you city? I am thinking of giving the SCCA regional managers a call to see what they can do for me. Wow guys thank you for the info it is a great help.

#10 ·
no body has any info for me that could help. Come on guys i would really like to do this but i need some help. thanks.

#11 ·
For insurance, one of the guys that helps us has event insurance for his car club. Thats what we use.
Talk with several agents about it and find the best prices, I just found another at half the cost if we need to get insurance. Make sure they know its event insurance and a racing event.
As far as the church parking lot, make sure their insurance doesn't have any stipulations above and beyond the event insurance. The church elders may also have requirements.
We are going to be running once a month come next spring.
your first step should be contacting local clubs,a little help goes a long way and they may also give you some ideas. The scca would also be a good starting point.

#12 ·
Cool thanks man. ill start looking into the insurance thing. I was thinking that once i had some good info i would talk to one of the elders. run it by them and have them bring it up to the rest of the elders or have me talk to them about it. I will remember the thing about the church insurance. There are no car clubs in town. That i know of. There are none online and i have never heard of any. so as for event insurance through them i really dont think that is going to be an option for me. thanks for your help man.

#13 ·
ok man i have abother question for you real quick. what do you guys do for medical. i am sure that your insurance requires that there be medical personel present. i am just wondering what you guys do for this.

#15 ·
as in my last post was blank or you are just putting in a blank post. anyway here is my last post.

ok man i have abother question for you real quick. what do you guys do for medical. i am sure that your insurance requires that there be medical personel present. i am just wondering what you guys do for this.

And i have a little update. I took your advice and called my regions regional executive. that was a good idea cause he was very helpful and very willing to help me in any way that he could. Im very happy about this and really starting to believe that i can get this done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.