Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New car!

4K views 34 replies 6 participants last post by  Juantron 
#1 ·
I am at a bit of a cross-roads now...I've been autocrossing my zx5 for a couple seasons now and I just picked up an SVT-5. Question is, do I continue with my ZX5 in SMF or do I go with the SVT in whatever class it fits in?

I've been throwing parts at the ZX5 for a while now (engine mounts, tune, header, catless-back, battery relocate, cheap coilovers, AGX struts/shocks, cam gears...), so I'm not sure if I want that car as my daily driver without at least going back to stock suspension. And I dont think I'll ever be very competitive in that car until I get it on race rubber.

I'm not sure where I'll be with the SVT. Its coming with a Borla catback, Fidanza flywheel, upgraded clutch, and dogbone mount. Other than a Diablo tune from Tom, I'm not wanting to modify the SVT any further than it already is. But I'm guessing that it will fit into the ST class with its modifications? And believe it or not, ST is a faster class in my club than SMF, so I don't really know what I want to do at this point.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
You forgot to mention if the ZX5 is a Zetec or Duratec, that could be a big decision driver. Also, how competitive do you want to be???

To be successful beyond the local level, SMF if going to require $$$$$$. I think, a 2.3L with a well sorted turbo engine, high dollar coil overs, full weight reduction per the rules, big race rubber, etc. could have a good run in SMF. You can make a ton more power than the turbo civics, the question is, can you make enough to make up the corner speed advantage the civics will have.

I've seen the SVT get it done locally in ST, but it takes a good driver, and once you get some old civics showing up its all over. Maybe you can see what you have to do to get the SVT to fall into Hstock???

#3 ·
The ZX5 is a 2.0 Zetec.

After thinking it over some more, it looks like my best choice would be to stick with my SMF ZX5. My reasoning is this: if I keep the SVT in ST I have no chance (our top ST driver is in a FULLY prepped '89 Civic with Motons, and he is FAST!!!), and I really don't want to replace the clutch/flywheel just to be able to go back to HS.
With the ZX5 I think I could be competitive if I go turbo & get a better wheel/tire combo.

Maybe I'll just start co-driving my brother's 240...

#6 ·
i'm kinda in the same boat since i recently picked up my svt, except i have a zx3 dura (2.0)
lucky me, i don't have a prepped ST civic in my region. there is one, but he runs STS, and tears it up. so in ST i have a pretty decent chance, after i become a better driver. my competition will be a 240sx and 2.5 rs.
i didn't know you could upgrade the clutch in ST, that's pretty sweet.

#8 ·
You have a light weight flywheel and clutch you will be running above the ST classes. Probably in the street prepared classes. DSP

#11 ·
^^^Yeah, I'm wondering since the SVTF is now HS, if they'll move it to FSP (instead of DSP) next year.

And...correct on the clutch and flywheel...that's SP territory.

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies guys!!!

Looks like DSP gets a lot better PAX index than SMF (.849-.870). I got the car last night, and its in better condition than I thought! Has anyone ever heard of Excel wheels? This car has 18" Excels on it, but I'm not sure how wide they are. They're wrapped in 215/35/18 Kumho ASX, but they look really stretched.

Okay, so I was just looking at some classing rules, and I think I can still run my ZX5 in FSP??? According to the rules I was reading (just a little outdated), my non-emissions legal car is still legal in SP class? I know the coilovers and struts/shocks, 17" SVTs, SVT airbox, tune, & cam gears are okay. If that's the case, then I have no problem staying in FSP with it and get the .838 PAX index! (Then the SVT will be my daily driver)

#13 ·
Yeah, no emissions gear needed for street prepared. FSP is a fast class around here though, watch out for Jinx's civic and Zimmer's Rabbet. If they run in pro, you're good though.

#16 ·
Who usually sets FTD/FPD up at triad lately?

I like to try to follow the top FSP guys, kind of benchmark myself against them. I know that all 3 of these guys have been to nationals and placed fairly well.

#20 ·
First event in FSP went really well yesterday. I placed 4th out of 6 FSP cars and a cone kept me from 3rd. I paxed 60th out of 106.
I also figured out that I have been running my front struts at full firm all the time...I set them to full soft (with the rears still full firm), and now my car turns MUCH better. I've been losing a lot of time with that full-firm-all-around setup!

#23 ·
Hum.. Im running the opposite set up them you. Im running full firm in Front and only a little in the rear. That way my back end doesnt come out as much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.