Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Official 09 Autox video thread

8K views 52 replies 21 participants last post by  eliaslincoln 
#1 · (Edited)
Semi-official 09 Autox video thread

Since a bunch of us record our runs, I figured we might as well have a single thread to post our vids. This will give us a good chance to analyze and critique each others performances and get some good advice for our next competitions. I'll start:

should have shifted in to 3rd along the sweeper and carried more speed into the slalom. I'm still working on feeling the limits with the new suspension.
any good suggestions for handling the extremely sharp and short hairpins?

-Ken

#2 ·
dang man that was awesome. i have an SVTF and i havn't gotten into this yet. man i am behind. i think the first time i will is next month. there is an event in dallas at Texas Motor Speedway. i am going to try really heard and get to this. so that way i can put up some of my own vids

#4 ·
lookin good ken, you gonna get all practiced up b4 i get back on track are ya ?[;)]
sweet vid. , 3rd. gear works great in that sweeper too, keeps the car more settled imo, just gotta have some big nuts to fly around that baby in 3rd. lol
steve scared himself a couple times going around that sucker bout mid-70's (MPH)[ohcrap]
I can't wait to play with boost on that track!!!

#5 ·
31 May 09 in Helena again

This was actually a pretty frustrating course. It was apparently designed for the people who went to the Evo school on saturday and made to use the lessons learned from that. It was pretty hard finding any time better than my first two runs. I pushed too hard in most cases and hurt my time, or hit a cone [mad]
Oh well, it was still a good learning day since the Evo instructor was there to give some advice, plus I had a really good Mazda 3 driver sit shotgun during a buck run and give some more pointers.

#6 ·
Smooth out them turns, making too many adjustments while cornering. I see alot of choppy motion on the wheel. It will be a bit easier to explain when the next base event comes up. From what it looks like you're trying to drive each corner when you get to it, instead of connecting the turns to each other. Don't know if this makes much sense(the inability to type what I'm thinking)

#10 ·
Here's last Sundays run:

Out of 12 runs this is the best I could do, and this was only my second run. I was pretty consistent though, with the majority of times within 1.5 sec. of this run.
Time for new tires too, these all seasons are roasted and toasted. I'm thinking about some Dunlop Z1 Starspecs or Hankook R-S2s, depending on what kind of deal I can get.

#11 ·
between the 2 tire choices you put up i'd go with the dunlop star spec z1, the hankooks wear tooooo fast and won't be as sticky. just ask WD40
run looked alot smoother this time, sure wish i could've been there.

#12 ·
damn, almost nobody showed up. between the 3 regions, we only had 15 drivers. everybody else must have been scared off by the snow...for those of you not in the northern tier, yes it snowed this weekend. gotta love montana!

#13 ·
Holy crap snow in June.

Also go w/ the dunlops, the hankook RS-2 compound is not as sticky. I do have some RS-3's on order, look for my review in a month or so.

#14 ·
Holy crap snow in June.
Ha, I almost said the exact thing!

I was contemplating the same tires and adding in the Kumho XS also. If you look at some of the results from some of the national events it looks like the RE-11 might be the tire to have this year. I just don't want to spend $200 a tire on street tires, I will buy R-comps at that price. The ST tire market is a war right now between the manufacturers.

#15 ·
Alright here's my best run of the day. Thanks Steve for sitting shotgun and making me push just a bit harder.

I also ditched the Potenza all-seasons for some Kelly Fierce UHPs. I was going to go with dunlops but I got one hell of a deal that I couldn't pass up. They're not bad, I just have to get used to actually having good traction[driving][burnout]

C'mon people post yer vids! I know I'm not the only one recording this stuff!

-Ken

#22 ·

Heres mine.. (Video is not that great,,, and He never got my best runs) I pulled First in my class though :) and 14th overall against 40 others.

#24 ·
Yeah no kidding that was a long course. I didn't get video of the last time we were there, I like to call that particular day the Ninja track. It was just as long, but quite a bit more technical (slower), yeesh.
Notinfocus, holy crap, I just saw the results, I can't believe I was that close to him! on top of that, I beat all of the other stangs (including the Shelby Cobra) and my buddies g37! I freakin love my car.

#28 ·
yeesh bout damn time I got some more racing in! Notinfocus is in a Focus today as my co-driver. I almost thought he was going to beat me in my own car too. Awesome driving Chris, it definitely showed how much further I can push this thing.[thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.