Focus Fanatics Forum banner

R-compound shopping, need help

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  Jonathan Rice 
#1 ·
Well its about time for me to become an official addict, im seriously considering buying r compounds this season.

I see a couple of options. I already have a spare set of OEM 15's, but im not sure about them being that they are only 6" wide. But... they are 15.2 lbs. Also I want to go a bit smaller diameter, my region's courses are usually perfect for me to stay in 2nd gear, but I often dip out of my cams' torque range in the tight corners.

Here is what im thinking in order of what i want right now. trying to stick to cheap tire sizes, probly going with Ecsta V710's. Rolling fenders is not an option at this point. Not looking to be a national contender or anything, but my street tires are starting to annoy me with their general complaining and lack of grip.

1. OEM 15's and 205/50/15 $186/tire

2. 15x7 aftermarket wheel and 225/50-15, but will the cost of the wheels be worth the extra 20mm of tire? and will they rub? $188/tire

3. I can also get new street wheels and retire my current wheels to racing duty. At about 17.6lbs theyre not too heavy. 16x7 aftermarket wheel and 215/40-16. $184/tire.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Given that you are in SM. The world is your oyster.

You could run a full blown slick with no additional penalty. However, the lifespan of a full AX race tire is measured in hours vs. events.

So, I think this would be cost prohibitive for most.

I would recommend that you go with a DOT rated R-compound tire.

Budgets aside, Hoosier is undoubtably your best bet - in dry weather conditions.

The A6 compound is available in a 205/50R15.

Advantages:

- Grip. Once up to temperature, IMHO there is no tire that offers the lateral cornering ability of the Hoosier.

- Size. Hoosier tends to "fudge" their tire sizes to an extent. A 205 is in reality closer to a 215 because of the sidewall design. This small increase should not cause you any issues with rubbing - even with the SM mods.

- Longevity. The tires would be good for a full season and probably 1-2 events into the following year. They will not last as long as either the Toyo or the Kuhmo.

Disadvantages:

- Wet Weather Performance. AX is run rain or shine. The A6 is GREAT in the dry and fairly unpredictable in the wet. It is difficult for the tire to build and retain heat. The shallow tread pattern is also virtually useless in channeling water. All these combined make for an exciting experience on an AX course. You'd be better off running a street tire in the rain.

- Cost. They are not cheap. Count on about $200 per tire. If you are not looking for a regional or national bid, your budget may come into play a bit more.

I've run the Hoosier for nearly 10 years. In a STOCK SVT, I've been able to perform on par with much faster cars running street tires and other brands of R-compounds (Kuhmo, Toyo). I've even beaten some in straight time (non-indexed).

As a result, I highly recommend the Hoosier A6.

#5 ·
^^^I think these are all legitimate AutoCross questions. [;)]
(Course, I see it hasn't been moved yet anyway.)

1) Obviously your least expensive option.
You could squeeze a 215 on that 6" rim without too much trouble.

2) Yes...that 20mm width increase is a HUGE advantage, and you'll notice it the very first turn you make right out of the gate.
Rubbing....depends on what offset wheels you get (try and get an offset of 45mm or greater), and what springs you currently have.

3) Good choice, but I swear that 16" race tires are harder to find than 15's or 17's.
17.6lbs is borderline, though you mentioned that competing at a national level isn't in the cards anyway.

I hope this was a help. [;)]

#6 ·
^^^I think these are all legitimate AutoCross questions. [;)]
(Course, I see it hasn't been moved yet anyway.) [;)]
Yep. I thought about and changed my mind... The comp tire knowledge base is predominantly here and not in the other forum.

#7 ·
My favorite is the yokohoma A048's, they are good all around and last decently long. but i've heard the new R888 compounds are pretty good too. and they do better w/ hydroplaining.

#19 ·
they arnt the best tire to run as they are designed for circuit racing. they grip best at 160 degrees plus. yokohama themselves informed me to NOT run these on my s2000... just as bfgoodrich told me to NOT run the gforce R-1s. both were honest and said id be unhappy. (only because they take a while to get at their designed operating temp)

I was told by hoosier and kumho and have done alot of R comp shopping... the a6s and kumho 710s are quick heating optimal grip warm weather tires. 4/32nd tires.

now the outdated victoracers or the new michelin pilot sport cups may be better if your on a budget and you drive back and forth to the events and occasionally see wet water. both at 5-6/32nds

#9 ·
LOL...i was gonna say "PM WeeAsp" cause he knows, but I see he took care of that already...[hihi]

I know he runs them cause he pulled into a G2G with R compounds on straight from summit point one time...haha....crazy ricer!! [;)]

#10 ·
LOL...i was gonna say "PM WeeAsp" cause he knows, but I see he took care of that already...[hihi]

I know he runs them cause he pulled into a G2G with R compounds on straight from summit point one time...haha....crazy ricer!! [;)]
Ricer?

I think you mean RACER !!![thumb]

#17 ·
No pictures, but I have:

Blue

Green/White

Black/Orange

My wife also has a pair in Black/Pink (You can special order them).

I suppose you could say that these are R-compounds for pedestrians.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.