Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Had my first Auto-X on sunday and im not too happy..

5K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Blurvfocus 
#1 ·
So last sunday I went out to the last San Fransisco Region race...Slush-5. I ran my SVT in GS class...I just wanted to run I later found out that i was in a different class. Besides the point, when I ran my car drove terrible....nothing like I was used to on the street. I was sliding everywhere, my tires had crappy ass grip...I was at a loss. Played with tire pressure and that helped a bit but still sucked. I know how to drive and I obsereved a lot of ppl while they raced and yet I sucked. Yes it was my first time but I just thought my car would perform better.

Here's what I have so any suggestions to make it better would help.

Eibach Pro-kit. 23 mm sways. ( maybe swap the springs for something stiffer?)

BFgoodrich KDW t/a tires all four corners. ( maybe better choice of tire?)

Dog bone mount.

STS

Tune

Intake.

There was a decked out ZX3 outthere with a bunch of goodies...dont know his name I just saw the FocalJet sticker on the side. On my last run, I ran his time 54 second. So i figured I did well, thats when I played with tire pressure.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah dude, it's just because it's your first time. As you get more seat time and more miles, you'll learn how to handle the car better and learn how far you can push it. When it comes to auto-x it's not about the car, it's all about the driver. So don't worry about spending more money yet. I've only got a few races under my belt, but each one taught me more about my car. the last one I did, I figured out my car could slide,that was a little scary... and fun! Just ask around here and you'll learn quite a bit, we have some pretty good drivers here. good luck on the next one!

-Ken

#3 ·
Sliding everywhere sounds more like a case of overdriving. I suffered from that my first few times out.

Some of those racing cliche's are very true
-Slow in fast out
-Improve the driver first
-Look ahead

The single biggest thing, I think, to improve my times in autox...Learning to look ahead.

#4 ·
....lots & lots...lots...lots..& lots of seat time will be your best friend[driving]
don't worry it was your first time out and autoX is alot harder than people think, just keep at it and HAVE FUN!!! most of all.[thumb]

#7 ·
don't worry it was your first time out and autoX is alot harder than people think, just keep at it and HAVE FUN!!! most of all.[thumb]
Having fun is key, after running a few events, I enjoy going now just to talk with all the friends I've made, talk about all the latest stuff done to our cars, etc. There aren't to many other places you can find this many people who won't shut up about cars, its great[:)]

#5 ·
Yeah sounds to me like a bad case of going too fast. Make a concious effort to be smooth and fluid with everything you do. Gradually speed up until you find your limit. If your tires are screaming bloody murder then there's definitely something wrong there.

That being said, it could very likely have something to do with the tires you have on there now as well. There's a trick to tire pressure, you'll want to use chalk on them and get them to the point where they aren't scraping the sidewalls, and fine tune just a little if you notice problems with the way the car is reacting. In addition, if your tires are old, or if they are lower traction all-seasons or something, they aren't going to stick well if you're going so fast they're smoldering. Slow down a little and correct this and I bet you'll see your times drop a good amount.

A good concept for you to work on would be 100% traction. If you haven't heard of it, it's very simple. You can only have 100% traction. You use your traction by accelerating, braking, and turning. When you're using 100% of your traction turning and say you try to trail brake or accelerate out of the turn, you're now over 100% and you have issues. Balancing everything is key.

That's enough advice for you now I think, I'll shut my mouth. [hihi]

#9 ·
thank you guys...as i read all the replys I realized that I was trying to go as fast as possible. It didnt work. I talked to some ppl during my Work period and they said that my tires arent very good. Great tire for street but not so good for AutoX. Also I noticed they didnt get warm enough to get good traction.

#11 ·
Just because you can punch through the gears and not stall the car doesn't mean you can drive. [thumb]

Be smooth, look a corner ahead, and turn early. When you think it's time to turn, you should have already done it. I disagree with slow is fast in autoX. Smooth is fast in autoX. If your tires aren't squealing then you aren't stretching them enough, and there is more grip to be had. Smooth and steady wheel inputs can attain maximum grip while allowing the car to rotate. Also, unless you're boosted, these cars don't have much power at all so don't be afraid to stay in the throttle to a certain degree to keep revs up while braking. If you let the revs drop too much, you're screwed. I run in STX with WRXs, GTIs, 3-series BMWs, RX-8's and the like and always finish in the top 5 with fast tracks in the Philly SCCA, and I'm playing with 150 maybe 155 hp. It can be done.

#24 ·
HHUUUMM... I kill vettes... They are slow on autox courses. I have a CF hood and a HFC thats why Im in SM.. But since Im in SM I do delete my Rear seats.. LOL Im not concerned with competing in my class. I just wanna get a good time and have fun.

#15 ·
^^^
That's badass. However, the Elise driver obviously wasn't Michael Schumacher. An Elise/Exige will wipe the floor with just about anything. There's a Solstice GXP in the Philly region that is FAST. I love that car!

#18 ·
Those old beemer's can be nasty. There's a done-up Civic here that's got 160 hp and weighs 1600lbs with a decent suspension...it's fast, lol. Boost should help you. Our STU is nothing but Evo 8s and 9s and STIs with coilover kits and fat FMICs. It's a sweet class.

#21 ·
well I'll get more practice....too bad the season is over. Im trying to find a place where I can just practice on my own.

I didnt feel like i was underpowered....I was in high RPMs felt like i had plenty of power. Thanks for all your input guys.

About the tire still....whats a good autoX street tire?

#23 ·
With all ude respect, the Z1 is without question a faster tire than the Falken...look at Nationals results. Its also been quantified elsewhere (see sccaforums.com). So is the RE01R, and so is the R1R...the Falken is a good local/regional tire that is "cheap"...but they are not tire to have at the more serious levels.

#27 ·
^^Not really.. Z06 Langinfelter (upgraded brakes and suspension) that was driven by one of the drivers that competes heavily in SCCA championships. Whipped him by a second. He also Drove a couple more of the vettes and I still had a better time. Vettes are better for Road Courses.

#28 ·
You should come up to SCR SCCA some time LOL, there are a couple of 'vettes that run very, very, fast. I'm not going to disagree with you that tight autox courses will be quite a handful for a corvette. Though there is a C5 Z06 that is wicked fast that runs SM2, but sometimes the car is just a bit too wide;). Though there is a C4 vette that runs AS up in Charlotte that will take FTD sometimes. The driver is very good:)

Though that is a fun thing about autocross, you can always point at "faster" cars that you beat for the day. In fact, at our big event at Michelin proving grounds in september, I was a second faster than a 2nd gen Viper[80?]

He was whining thoughout the day, [bawling] , something about not being able to get heat into his 325??(maybe bigger) Hoosiers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.