Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Where can I get performance driving lessons?

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  WeeAsp 
#1 ·
hey all! i'm itching to take performance driving lessons but i don't know where's a good place to take them. i really wouldn't care if it was autox or road racing but i prefer road racing. i've heard about how fun it can be and how much you can learn. i'm don't currenty autox or race on a road course but i'd like to learn!

can someone direct me to a website or something for a good driving school?

#4 ·
SVTOA runs a very nice program for novice drivers. I instruct for them at various venues across the country and we have many happy customers. Too bad you missed the annual SVTOA event at Summit Point on May 4th& 5th.
We'll be back the same weekend next year. There may be an SVTOA event at Nelson Ledges in late October or early November, but the details have not been worked out yet. The next SVTOA event is in Canada ehh, next weekend just across the border from Niagara Falls. (Only 426 miles from you according to Google.) Information can be found at http://www.svtoaontrack.ca/register/index.html.
I would also recommend Car Guys; they run Summit Point and VIR. My first track event was with them at Summit Point in 1991.
Check out the local Porsche, Audi, and BMW clubs in the area as well. Most clubs offer some form of instruction and do not care about the make of car.
You may want to keep in mind www.Phoenixcmr.com. They run two events at Watkins Glen each year. The next one is on August 20th & 21st but it has sold out. I fly or drive across country twice each year to instruct at that event. It is an awesome track and Joe Quaranto runs a very nice program.
Another choice is http://www.pdadrivingschool.com/; they run at Pocono, Lime Rock and Watkins Glen. I have not run with them so I cannot vouch for their program.

#11 ·
I can vouch for a SVTOA event. I attended one this past weekend at Gingerman raceway in Michigan. I'm a beginner and my Instuctor was great, very helpful with braking,line and tire pressure recommendations. I highly suggest this event if you can get to one.

#14 ·
There is a performance driving school at Summit Point on August 4-5. We'll be on the Shenandoah Circuit.

There are still slots available.

For more information and registration - http://www.gws-mbca.org

Many of the instructors from the SVTOA events are assisting the Benz club this year. Also, BSR is handling the classroom portion.

This event would be a good place to start. I'll be there as well as a couple of other foci drivers.

Don't let the Benz event intimidate you. These people are enthusiasts like us, they just have more money. However, they don't look down their nose at people.

Later in September, once again at Summit Point, the DC Council for SCCA is holding another Performance Driving Experience (PDX).

This event will also be held on the Shenandoah Circuit. The bulk of the instructors at the SCCA events are racers themselves. The first priority is car control and you gradually begin to learn the finer points of performance driving. Such as "the line", threshold braking and so forth.

For more information and Registration -

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/07schedALL.html#PDXOnly

Being in MD, the trip is about 1.5 - 2 hours for you. So, not far at all. Prices range anywhere from $190 for 1 day to $375 or so (Depending on the sponsoring club) for a weekend.

That said, don't discount autocross either. Just about every weekend in the Greater DC area, there is an AX event.

This weekend, the Capital Driving Club (CDC) is holding an event at the Fredrick Keys Stadium in Fredrick, MD. Also check out the AX events on the Benz site. Both are small events where drivers get a minimum of 7 runs (vs. 4 with SCCA) at $30 for the day.

Everything that you do in an AX is applicable on a road course. Not necessarily the other way around.

There is an old saying. "Good Autocrossers make Great road racers. Great road racers make lousy autocrossers."

Good luck and if you want more information on these and other events in the DC area, shoot me a PM. I'll be glad to walk you through them.

[thumb]

#16 ·
No one has suggested it but seat time is the key to being a good driver, and yes driving schools are an awesome way to learn, but they can get very expensive, so along with tending the schools a cheap solution would be to start autocrossing at your local region events and just start asking questions there are always people willing to help. It might not be as effective as a driving school but could be alot cheaper. Also worse case scenario you get some seat time.

#18 ·
Bluey-

Watch this video... as provided by SPEED... and you will see the benefit of AX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.