Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Alignment and Tire Pressure for Auto-X

8K views 47 replies 10 participants last post by  LazarusZX3 
#1 ·
So I have the Eibach Sportline drop (2'' in front 2.25'' in back), Pro Dampers, Anti Roll bars, front camber adjustment plates, rear camber adjustment bolts and polyurethane bushings.

I just had the whole thing re-aligned to as close to stock as possible. I just read an article about a Mini that got better times running -3 degrees of camber. That seems insane for a street car! I want to be awesome on the Auto cross course, get the most use out of my camber adjustment equipment, yet still be ok on the street. I have fairly expendable tires for daily driving, and Faulken Azenis for racing.

Also, what tire pressures does everyone run in Auto-X? I ran 42 PSI on all four, but I'm thinking about running 50 on the rears and 38 on the front for next time. Kinda random numbers, any advice?

#29 ·
I see. I tried it for the ride home. Granted, I have a basically stock suspension and am running Kazera KZ-V wheels with Avon Tech M500 "tyres." I pumped the fronts up to about 42 and the rears to 35 and hit a twisty back road.

This wasn't a track test for sure, but I did push it on a few corners. I can feel a difference at the limit as the back would rotate instead of the front pushing straight through. The technique was to break, heel-toe downshift, turn in and lift off the throttle... drifting a little wide with the back end rotating a touch, then back on the throttle. I didn't pull a Burt Reynolds.

I try not to drive too stupid on the street though... just a couple corners, I promise.

#31 ·
Did you happen to catch the Grassroot Motorsports story about the VW new beetle deisel that was tuned to make 400ft lbs of torque? Incredible! I think the combo was big injectors and a tune.... and it still got 40 mpg! I have seen those cars handle very well.

Experience and skill are a lot more important than the car for sure.

#32 ·
I'll bet my last dollar that the VW had alot more done to it than that...... 400wtq isnt going to be had on a otherwise stock VW engine.

#35 ·
I actually have an air tank that I fill up at the gas station. I forgot exactly where I bought it, but I think you can get them at an auto parts store, or tool shop. This one will hold up to about 120psi and is great for making pressure adjustments at the track.

If I remember correctly it was about $50 from the local tool shop.

#36 ·
So I found the article about the 400 torque VW TDI new beetle. This is in the December 06 issue of Grassroots Motorsports, the guy is running an UPsolute Stage II chip and Fratelli Bosio Powerplus 520 injectors and a boost control valve.

This combo gives him about 16psi of boost. He's done other mods to his car, but this on an otherwise stock motor is producing 123 horsepower and 412 lb. ft of torque... and 40mpg!

#37 ·
just to add another opinion on the origional topic here, I have svt springs and kyb dampers, spc camber plates up front, and rt-615's. I have had my car aligned to zero for camber, caster, and toe. Then when i go Ax'ing i simply use the camber kit to dial in as much negative camber up front i can get. I run the azenis without the reinforced sidewalls so the pressures are a bit higher. front 55 rear 37. The car is a tad oversteery in corner entry for the average driver but for me is perfect because left braking followed by throttle on will plant the rear as soon as i am straightened out and i literally launch out of the corners without losing momemtum and thus bogging 2nd.

#40 ·
FWIW.. I run a ground Control coilover kit with Eibach 500# springs on all 4 corners with Koni Yellows (set all the way up), a 22mm front bar and a 25mm rear with Kumho 711's

I run -2.1* camber on all 4 wheels with about 1/8th inch tow out both front and rear.. I dont remember what the caster was.

I was really surprized at how good it really does handle... the car has very good rotation but at the same time it feels very planted in the curves ..... almost like a slot car.

#42 ·
In my case, I made friends with a guy I autocross with who runs a shop around me. That's the easiest way.

#43 ·
i actually have the non adjustable kyb gr-2's, and now I currently have fine tuned the alignment after zeroing out everything to front, camber is -1.47, caster .1, toe out 1/8th, rear is camber -0.43 caster 0 toe in 1/16th......since the settings are close to stock the car handles like its fresh out of the factory, lots of understeer, however when i get onsite, i adjust camber to about -2.25 front and -1 rear and the car holds up great in the corners.

basically if you have the tools, knowledge, and a good area to set up a skid pad its just a matter of time. I like to start completely nuetral. Then adjust one thing at a time until i feel I got it where I want it. It took me about 40 laps around the circle to get close and then about a yrs worth of AutoX to tune in tire pressures. Its still not perfect, but it fits my driving style.

#45 ·
All that it comes down to is running every event you can, have a few experienced guys that drive similar cars to yours drive a few times to get their opinions and become best buds with a guy who owns a shop, oh and by him a case. Some people are good enough to do it in their own driveway using string, I tried and wasn't good enough at it

#46 ·
I used to adjust the camber in my 5.0 mustang with an angle finder and a metal straight edge, moving the top shock mount as far in as I could. I guess I wasn't too scientific about it, but the car didn't pull too badly even though I got it to corner a lot better.

I'm pretty sure the same trick will work for the front of the Focus. Worst thing that happens is I have to get an allignment.

Not sure that I can make it to the auto x this weekend... severe budget constraints this month. The good thing is that they run nearly all year round, I love California!

#48 ·
This last race I ran 43 PSI in the front and 37.5 PSI in the rears. It seemed to rotate the way I wanted it. It rained during the event and there was bits of gravel on the course, so that kinda wrecked it. I'll keep trying and keep you guys posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.