Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How Do You Haul All Your Equipment To The Track?

3K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  WD40 
#1 ·
As the title says...
This is my current setup as far as the hatch goes.
I'd like to find a waterproof box to carry most everything in.
Then, I wouldn't have to worry about covering everything up with a tarp once it's unloaded.
Just trying get some other ideas, and see what other people do. [;)]

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
And, here's how I hauled the new wheels/tires for the first time.
Note the two tie straps to keep everything together.
1) Through the fronts all the way across.
2) Through the back, and then up and around the middle headrest to keep the stack from rolling forward.

Attachments

#3 ·
when I ran with the 205/50 R15 tires, i could fit all 4 in the hatch standing up in a row, with out seat folded down. the rest of my gear I put into a large rubber tote (with lid, ~50L or 12 gallons), that i sat on the back seat.

now with the 225/50R15 tires, they are too wide to all fit in accross the hatch, so I have to fold the seats down, put 2 tires on the seat backs, stand 2 up in the hatch with the tote.

the nice things about the tote is that it is easy to load and unload the car, and store it in the house. all of my race gear is in 1 place, and it usually means i dont forget anything. also, if it rains at the event, anything i want to stay dry can be sealed into the tote

I should also mention i put tire covers/carry bags, made of nylon on each tire when i transport so i dont scuff/scratch the car or dump the dirt all inside my car.

#4 ·
I have to drive about an hour to any of the events that I compete. So, I take a fair amount of gear with me. Believe it or not, it all fits nicely in the back of the SVT with the seats laid down.

- 4 mounted R compound tires and wheels stacked on the back of the rear seats (still need those tire totes)

- Tool box with extra brake pads

- Small cooler

- Overnight bag with a change of clothes and driving shoes

- Air tank

- Small box with brake fluid, coolant, P/S fluid, extra lug nuts, and a drain bottle

- 2 folding chairs

- Helmet and case ( I usually bring a spare as well)

- Electric Impact Gun

- Torque Wrench

- Breaker Bar

- 10x10 easy up

- Plastic tarp

- Rubbermaid absorbant pads

- Mechanix wear gloves

- Jumper cables

- Assorted bungie cords and tow straps

- Kitchen sink

- VHS tape of "Ishtar"

- Wheel Chocks

- Aluminum floor jack

- Cordless drill with bits and screwdriver bits

That's about it and I can still take a passenger with me in the front.

#6 ·
I find that carrying it with me helps me on days I didn't do so well, that it could have been a whole lot worse...

#8 ·
I stack 4 tires where the rear seats used to be. Then I have one big tote for my helmet, shoes, misc stuff, and that goes in teh back. Then I have 2 smaller totes that hold brakes, tools, fluids, etc, and they go in the back as well. Then I have a canvas bag with the aluminum jack and torque wrench, and that goes in the back between the totes.

Then the tent, sleeping bag, tarps, duffleback, chair, cooler, etc all fill in the holes left in the hatch.

When done, its fairly full.

#10 ·
Holy cow, I thought I hauled a lot of stuff, but after reading what Egz and WeeAsp pack around, I guess I travel pretty light.
Must be those overnight events that add up.
(Hmmmm, Miller Motorsports Park is coming up the first part of July, but I'm staying in a motel)

I'll be looking for some totes locally, but I hate the tapered bottoms.
They don't lend themselves to packing very well.
Has anyone found anything with "straight" sides?

I've gotta start hauling 2 helmets now as well, since the wife is starting to run some events.

And, the pink towels on my rear seat...well, I'd just rather not go there at the moment!
Better find a nice seat cover.

#13 ·
Yea, half the stuff on my list isn't needed for autox, but I haven't done one of those in a long time. I tend to do multi-day track events, and camp out at them. WeeAsp can vouch for that. [;)]

I use one of these:

And 2 of these:

I made the mistake when I started of having one large tote. Then I forgot everything inside adds weight. LOL. Then I went to 2 large totes. That worked far better, but the one with brakes, tools, fluids still weighed alot. And when I went to overhead storage in my garage, that got tricky bringing up a 10ft ladder. So the too smaller totes carry them now, in much easier chunks.

The walls are fairly straight. And the lids snap on tight, so I have no worries about rain.

#15 ·
Yea, half the stuff on my list isn't needed for autox, but I haven't done one of those in a long time. I tend to do multi-day track events, and camp out at them. WeeAsp can vouch for that. [;)]
EGZ would have to come to Summit Point on one of the windiest nights of the Spring.

As I understand it, much of his evening was spent trying to keep himself and the tent from either blowing away or collapsing in on him...

We can fit a lot of stuff in our cars...

#14 ·
1. Throw helmet into trunk.
2. Throw tire pressure gauge somewhere into the car.
3. Throw window chalk and sunscreen somewhere into the car.
4. Leave the tools in the trunk where they always are.

And that's actually about it.

#16 ·
I think the most I've fit in my car is 8 wheels w/tires mounted, 3 large totes, jack, helmet and the gf. with that much, i dont think i really could see out the back window. I LOVE how much stuff the hatch will hold.

#18 ·
How I used to travel to track days:

#20 ·
They were 215s on 7.5" rims actually. [;)] Tight fit, especially with the carriers, but it worked!

#21 ·
Hmmm.
I might have to try again.
I measured 37" for all four tires, and only 33" across the back.
The right hand side trim panel gets in the way.
Glad you posted that!
I'd rather have them in the back like you show.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.