Focus Fanatics Forum banner

14's possible in a lightly modded SVT?

8K views 66 replies 17 participants last post by  turbovation 
#1 ·
I'm planning to try some runs at the 1/4 and 1/8 mile in my 2002 SVT and I gave myself the objective to hit very high 14's and below 9.9 on the 1/8. My mods are : Tom's tune, K&N filter, Borla SVT flex-back, VF rear mount, KYB AGX, Vogltand springs. My first tries will probably be on 16" stock Focus wheels and winter tires... I should get Rota Attacks soon (around 16.5 lbs) though, that will be mounted on 215/45/17 Yokohama AVS ES100 tires. Do you think 14's are within reach with those mods? I will remove the spare, run low on gas and crank my rear shocks to 8/8 stiffness.

My last run with my Beltronics accelerometer was : (full of gas, winter tires, only one run) Trap speeds seem off so there's quite a margin of error like all those devices...

1/4 mile : 15.03 s @ 95.6 mph
1000 ft : 12.65 s
1/8 mile : 9.82 s @ 74.2 mph
330 ft : 6.50 s
60 ft : 2.35 s
0-90 mph : 13.25 s
0-80 mph : 10.82 s
0-70 mph : 8.62 s
0-60 mph : 6.67 s
0-50 mph : 5.15 s
0-40 mph : 3.70 s
0-30 mph : 2.55 s
0-20 mph : 1.52 s
0-10 mph : 0.42 s

See less See more
#3 ·
I must say I would be disappointed with a mid 15, but I know some SVT's are hard to get into low 15's... Some people get 15.2 stock so I guess it will depend on my driving habilities and whether my car is above or below average SVT's from the factory...

#9 ·
Yeah I'm not paying a lot of attention to those accelerometer readings, but that can give me an idea of what to look for. It tends to lose its accuracy when you get some tire spin at launch.

So Lupuri did 14.9 in his stock SVTF, that's rather impressive. My objective is definitely realistic then, but it'll take some skill I guess [:)]

#5 ·
With those mods and some slicks, I"m sure you'll hit some high 14's. If you cant get slicks, remove all the weight you can from that BiaT*h.

#22 ·
i think you can but it will be dificult. you will have to consistantly get good ractions times and good shifts. it will be dificult but i think you can. have fun.

#25 ·
the new Si runs in that range. it has 30 more hp and an amazing transmission. a few bolt-on not going to get you there. gut out your car out and put slicks on, maybe.

#26 ·
I can't see a stock, full weight SVT getting into the high 14s. Stock with lots of ballast removed, yeah, I can see it as a possibility..LOTS removed..and slicks.

With those bolt on's it may be possible, but not around here for sure.

#28 ·
Just went to the local 1/8th track and yeah I think it confirmed my SVT doesn't have what it needs to break into the 14's on the quarter. It was my first time at the drags, I started the night with a mediocre 10.68, wasn't too much used to feathering the clutch to get a good start, rpms dropped to 2000 as soon as the tires stuck to the pavement. So I learned to better control my launch, keeping the rpms very near 4000 on the whole start and I finished the night with a best of 10.34, I was constantly running in the 10.3 and 10.4 on my 6 runs. I guess it's an average time for an svt and tells me I will rather be in the mid 15's on the quarter, we'll see later this summer. I was running on 16" winter tires and it was a very hot and humid day so that doesn't help. I'm a little disappointed with those times but I guess it happens to all SVT drivers when they get the proof that their car doesn't really shine on straight lines.

I was trapping at 119 km/h (74 mph) according to their kind of speed sensor, anyone with some experience on the 1/8 knows what it means about my launches? (We don't get timeslips and 60 ft times at the local track)

I went 3 times against a 92-95 gen Civic swapped with a SIR, they were very close races and I was running 1 or 2 tenths faster than him. Launches were very close (aside from my shitty reaction times which I didn't really care about), but I was catching him slowly starting from the top of my first gear. My other kills are a 96+ 1.6 Civic with unknown mods (which made up for another close race) and a 1999 1.8t Passat.

Here's a vid of my best run against the SIR (10.34 against 10.40) but with a very slow R/T.

#29 ·
It has been done in the past by one or two others. I'm less than 4/10 from that goal in stock SVT running 90 octane (all I can get) and trapping at less than 90mph. The only thing I did to get lighter was to take my CD's, spare tire and jack out of the car. I'm going to get some race gas to mix with my crappy pump gas, and work on my 60' times. I'm shooting for 14's with a stock SVT. Hey, it's a goal!

#30 ·
What tires are you running and how to do manage your launches? I'm still far from your 9.90 1/8 time, something tells me I was getting horrible 60 fts tonight and that my tires are a big handicap. My 1/8 time translates in high 15's generally, I would be really surprised not to be able to get at least mid 15's, also considering that my 1/8 trap speed seems rather fast (even if it can be off by some margin, don't know the precision of their measuring system). The fact that I was catching on that b16a2 swapped Civic also tells me that my car is certainly not running too bad.

If you break into 14's stock without slicks you're one hell of a driver.

#31 ·
My launches are at about 3900 rpm or so. I shoot for about 1 revolution of tire spin, modulated by clutch release. Easier said than done. Quick upshifts are important, but I don't think I'm doing a full speed shift (I lift the throttle a little between shifts when the clutch is in)

I think I have a freaky SVT, a good track, and I'm a decent driver. Something doesn't compute with my E.T.s and trap speeds. My 1/8 mile trap speed is 71.84mph (much slower than yours), and my 1/4 mile trap on my best run was only 89.97mph. I think that my car is unusually stout, but the knock sensor starts to kick in when I bounce on the rev-limiter (crappy gas?) If I get any better times, about 1/10th is going to be in my 60' time and the rest is going to be on the top end with better gas. I'm shooting for 6900rpm shifts.

I'm on my 3rd set of summer tires on this car (67,000 miles on this car). 1st were the stock Conti's (I got the 15.3 on these) then came BFG G-Force Sports (15.51 best), and now I have Sumitomo HTR Z II's on. I think the BFG's had more traction than the Conti's, but the engine felt a little less strong. Right now the engine feels super, and the Sumitomo's seem to have really good traction...

#33 ·
OK next time I'll try to shift around 7000, I was shifting at 7200 yesterday maybe power drops badly after 7000, don't really know if I should shift higher than a stock SVT with my tune.

#35 ·
I don't know about power dropping above 7000 for you (I'm worried about the knock sensor dialing power back on my 90 octane fueled motor), but every run that I've bumped the rev-limiter has been a least a couple of 10ths off.

#34 ·
It could be done. With a few mods and good tires and a good driver. I would bet with a CAI with a 65mm TB, ORP, tune and some really good tires or slicks if you can crack 14's easily. I've seen many run low to mid 15's bone stock with stock tires and medicore drivers. Your best bet is F/I of some kind though. If you want to go fast in the 1/4, go F/I other than that, the SVT will be somewhat slow.

#38 ·
14's arent going to happen even with the mods suggested. best ive seen done with a boatload more mods than suggested is a 15.15. and before anyone says a thing, notice that those saying they've hit 14's na havent posted any slips?
hell, ive got so many mods and a jrsc and best my car has run is a 14.06 @5-6psi but thats hopefully to change in a couple months when i eliminate my vct and have it retuned using adjustable cam gears

#40 ·
Drag racing has less to do with speed for me than the fact that this is another aspect of keen interaction with my machine. It's the same attitude I take with me when I autocross.

I'm trying to get everything the car has to give. It's both technical and emotional for me. When I had a dirt bike I would ride a section of a track over and over again, refining lines, shift points, body position etc. Drag racing this car is almost as involving, and the time slips help me rate my progress. I'm not racing the guy next to me, I'm racing myself, trying to get that last little bit the car has to offer, and beat my best time.

If this doesn't make sense to you, no amount of explanation could.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.