Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How much do you spend?

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  lyonsroar 
#1 ·
Hey guys I just got my vehicle and am looking to buy a Detailing Kit for maintaining my new vehicle. I have been looking at different websites and wanted to ask you all what personal spending limit would you set for yourself and why. This would better help me understand the importance of different products and how much is "too much".

#2 ·
In your kit you should get:
2 5 gallon buckets
2 Grit Guard Inserts
Quality Soap (Meguiars Gold Class is great)
Quality Wash sponge or mitt
Quality Waffle Weave Drying towel
Glass Cleaner (there are a lot of good ones, just make sure to get one without ammonia in it)
Tire Shine (I would go with something water based, using something like Armor All could lead to your tires turning brown)
Interior Protectant (again thee are many, but stay away from anything silicone based)
Leather Dressing (Leather Masters makes a great kit to care for leather if you have it)
Quality wax or sealant for paint and wheels (Meguairs Ultimate wax is easy to use and available local, we use 4 Star Sealant in the shop and it looks great and lasts for 6 months+)

With that list, depending on the products you choose, you're looking at $75-$150 for everything. A small price to pay to keep your car looking great and preventing it from getting swirled up in the process!

Eventually you can get a clay bar and buffing compounds, but for a new car you shouldn't need them at all. The most important part is to use good techniques and common sense so you don't end up putting more swirls into your paint. For example, you wouldn't want to wash the bottom of your car where all the dirt is built up before you wash the roof.

Hope that helps, and if you would like any specific product recommendations please let me know!

#3 ·
For about $120 you can get a good set up from most auto parts stores.
To get you started.
Meguiars products -
-Smooth Surface Clay Kit
-Gold Class wash
-Ultimate Liquid Wax
-Natural Shine Protectant
-Ultimate Wash &Wax Anywhere (as a spray detail)
Stoner Invisible Glass
For tire dressing I would go online and get Chemical Guys Natural Shine Dressing. It will give you a perfect matte finish and lasts for weeks.

You can just go to Home Depot and get a 5 gal bucket. You can get Grit Guards online.
Most auto parts stores carry Viking brand micro fiber towels/wash mitts which are decent quality. You can also go to Costco and get on of the packs of micro fibers they sell which are a little better quality than Viking but still not professional quality. DO NOT use a beach towel!

When you get into polish, Megs Ultimate Polish and Ultimate compound are really good. Since you're starting from new paint, you probably won't ever need a compound. You can do every thing by hand but if you want to get into machine polishing, get a Porter Cable 7424 and Lake Country pads.

Here are a few websites for products.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com
http://www.autogeek.net
http://www.detailedimage.com

#6 ·
So originally I was looking at something like this.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Auto_Detailing_Bucket_Kit_For_Car_Enthusiasts_p/spi_151.htm
I haven't taken your previous comments into consideration yet as I will need some time to shop around but do you have any comments on the kit above? Also for the record I do have leather interior.
Everything I use is Chemical Guys. I would go with this one though. http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_SPI_145_Essential_Products_Kit_p/spi_145.htm

Give them a call and see if they will swap the VRP Dressing for Natural Shine Dressing and swap the Citrus Wash for Honey Dew or Glosswerkz. They will most likely do swap them out.

For your leather you can just use Woolite and water. Most people recommend a vinyl protectant for sealed leather. I use Chemical Guys Leather Conditioner. For the rest of your interior you can get All Clean+ and Silk Shine Spray Dressing from Chemical Guys. They also have videos on Youtube on how to use almost all of their products.

I bet I have $300-400 into all of my various stuff...
With all the stuff I just buy to try I'm probably at $500+

#7 ·
I've never been impressed with Chemical Guys stuff.

I have their Stripper Scent air freshener. It sucks. Had their honeydew snow foam it's no better than any other soap in my foam gun. Have their Natty Red Wax. Greasy and gross. Meh.

Just not impressed. It's cheap but mehhhh.

#10 ·
Oh right. Poorboys....lol. Don't recommend that.

The honeydew wasnt bad, just underwhelming, too little benefit to justify the cost. My soap of choice at the moment is EagleOne Nanowash I think it's called. Not too shabby honestly. Can be had in an actual store too vs online.

#9 ·
How much do I spend ? NOTHING!!! AAHHAAAHAAA:D

cousin owns detail shop lol , but my cars interior isnt worth it. Seats came effed up bad ( stains all over back seats , passenger front has what looks like axe wound ) the driver seats ok though . And the carpet is bad too . Not to mention 3 small holes in the dash. Looks terrible . Previous owner musta been pisssssssed off dude lol

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.