Focus Fanatics Forum banner

What does everyone use for their dashes?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Burns098356GX 
#1 ·
I have an 07 Focus and its in need of a good cleaning , especially the interior. I've always avoided armor all though because I always heard that it was silicone? based and that it would cause the dash to crack eventually. Thing is I cant really find any cleaners that say that they have silicon or not either way.

I have some of the armor all orange wipes that I use on the steering wheel to clean the leather....

The dash in the car is just hard plastic it seems, maybe just a good wipe down with a general purpose cleaner would be sufficient? ... I'm over thinking this arent I? lol

#2 ·
I use diluted Simple Green to actually clean the dash and then I use meguires interior detailer to mildy shine things up and I've used the same on my 4Runners dash for the last 10 years and the dash still looks great and zero cracks or deformations.

#4 ·
If you clean the dash first (be it simple green, windex, or a premium product), you can use armor all to seal and protect it... the problem with armor all is it's constant misuse! You don't spray and walk away, you can't leave that stuff thick on the surface like most people that swear by it do!

I've seen people overuse gliptone AND Meguire's interior products. The best results come from 1) cleaning the dash 2)sealing the surface 3)and then using another cloth to wipe that protectant off! It'll feel like new, and best off all; the greasy look/feel won't pick up any dirt floating around in the car!

I use Autech on my plastics, (it works like gang-busters) leaves NO greasy residue, and buffs off the plastic the way wax does for the outside. The color returns to like-new, and there's very little sheen to it so I don't get blinded by glare off the dash or the reflection on the glass.

Just do it right and you'll find stuff that you like!

#8 ·
It was something I heard a long time ago. It was said that it would eventually dry out the dash and cause it to crack. I think it comes from when dashes were vinyl. My dash seems to be made out of hard plastic so I'm not even sure it applies anymore.

#11 ·
Armor All used to use dimethyl silicone which causes dry rot over time. Now they've switched to water based emulsions but that old formula still haunts their perception in enthusiasts minds.

Truth is armor all won't hurt anything really. Its essentially the same as any other protectant. Thing is 303 Aerospace Protectant has more UV inhibitors than Armor All so it protects better. This is also why 303 is more expensive, but oh so worth it.

Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.