Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Bought Used ZX3 - Need Wax Recommendations

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  lanting90 
#1 ·
I bought an 03 charcoal grey ZX3 last night and want to do some work to the exterior. I plan to either replace the fogged up headlight lenses, or restore them. I also want to give her a wax treatment.

The paint is good condition but can use some wax. I know there are clay bars and 3 step wax systems. I am fairly new to this and would appreciate some suggestions on whats needed and product recommendations.

Thanks

#2 ·
On a car that age, I'd clay it, use a random orbital (Porter-Cable 7424) with a fine-cut polishing compound (Pinnacle Fine Swirl Remover) & a light cutting pad (Lake Country Orange), apply a synthetic wax (I really like Mother's FX or Zaino) & top it off with a pure carnauba (AutoMagic #15, as an example). Depending on the condition of your clearcoat, you might need a more aggressive polish & pad combination to get the light scratches out.

#6 ·
Thanks for replies, guys. I dont want to spend a ton, so I was thinking about buying from Walmart, Target or Autozone. I will probably detail car once a year.

I think I need to go the route that cbdallas posted. I have no idea if the previous owner ever waxed it, etc.

#8 ·
If your looking for great products without spending a lot of money try Chemical Guys. They have a XXX hardcore wax. I think it's $18 for a jar. Awesome wax for the money. Their waxes and sealants are insanely durable. I detail for a living and to be honest bang for buck they are the best. I have never used a product they have made that did not live up to what they said it did.
Meguairs NXT is good in paste form. The liquid is terrible pain to get off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.