Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Do you need to wax a new car?

13K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  5speedZX3 
#1 ·
I got my new Focus last month, and I'm wondering if I need to wax it before winter, or if it has wax or what?

What's the deal? Winter here in NH gets harsh.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Uhhh... couple points. One, you're never supposed to wax a new paint job. Waxing new paint seals it, which prevents the paint from fully curing. *BUT* point two is, your car probably sat around for plenty of time after being painted and before being sold to you AND of course it was baked on at the factory as opposed to say getting a repaint at a body shop that didn't have a bake booth. It's probably safe to wax it at this point. Spray on wax is not going to be much use to you, especially living in a place with harsh winters. You want a good solid coat of wax on there if you want to protect your paint from the elements for any length of time, and the spray on wax will wear off about as quickly as you sprayed it on (okay that's an exaggeration but you get the idea). [thumb]

#7 ·
Thanks SVT4ME. That's the answer I was looking for.

So if my car was manufactured in May, it should be OK to wax.

Can you reccommend a brand of wax, or is it not a huge deal. I currently have some armor all brand that works pretty good.

#8 ·
If it was made in May then you're most surely okay for waxing. Long timers here know that I like Einszett waxes and polish. In fact I need to get around to buying some more myself, I'm all out. Einszett is a synthetic and is made in Germany, it's available from a fellow forum member at:

http://www.waynestowels.com

It is VERY good stuff, much better in terms of results and ease of application than what you can go down and buy at the local auto parts store. It also lasts significantly longer than carnauba-based waxes, which is good for winter time when you don't want to be out freezing your butt off rewaxing the car. If you want to stick with cheaper stuff, I have had good success with Meguiar's products, although Wayne (of waynestowels.com) doesn't care for Meg's much.

#9 ·
SVT4ME said:
Uhhh... couple points. One, you're never supposed to wax a new paint job. Waxing new paint seals it, which prevents the paint from fully curing. [thumb]
That's what i've always been told as well. Actually a car really doesn't need to be waxed for about a year after owning it. Maybe after 6 months if it has to go through harsh weather such as what you were mentioning. What everyone doesn't understand, the car comes from the delear with the nice shiny fresh clearcoat on it. Granted it may not have any wax on it, as someone mentioned, but clearcoat itself has it's own protection in it and will last for atleast a year and on some cars even 2yrs. Mine is 2yrs old this month, and have only waxed it once. I did it right around the year mark, and it really didn't even need it then. I will probably wax it here again soon just as a precaution. As long as it beads up when it rains, then your doing good. That means you have a nice protection on your paint when it beads. I even on average detail my car every other week, and sometimes if possible once a week, which would normally be considered a beating on a paint job, but it seems to be holding up well. I do use a very good soap, it's Zip Wax Car Wash Soap made by Turtle Wax.
I do side detail jobs from time to time for extra money, and I have always received compliments on how much more shiny their vehicle is after I detail it. There is something about that soap, but it's very good and that's what I have used since i've been driving. Everyone has different opinions, and this is my two cents and just my know how from detailing cars for the past 12 years.

#10 ·
slvrfocus03- I dont know where you got your info but way off on waxing after a year.

As an experianced autobody painter I can tell you this. Your clearcoat does not have a mircal protection added to it. In fact all it does is make it shine and that is what your protectiong, the clearcoat. When i paint a vechicle we always recomend putting 2 coats of wax about a week after being painted. That is plenty of time for the paint to cure fully. Letting a paint job go for sooo long with out protecting will cause you alot of damage. Then washing it once a week with out that protections is even worse.

Car wash spray on wax will not help you at all, spray on quick wax will provide protection for a week mabey2 if your surface is already have a feww good coats on it. Take the time to wash, claybar your vehicle, then put on at least 2 coats of a good wax. I use the Glanz sold by www.waynestowels.com. It is probly the best stuff I have ever used. Please take the time to take car of your paint now befor it becomes a problem later on. Spending a little now is better than spending $1000 to $2500 for a new paint job later on.

If you have anymore questions about detailing or careing for paint ask it. And trust expersts like wayne and mad wax. they've been in the busness of making paint look good and last.

#11 ·
5speedZX3 said:
slvrfocus03- I dont know where you got your info but way off on waxing after a year.

As an experianced autobody painter I can tell you this. Your clearcoat does not have a mircal protection added to it. In fact all it does is make it shine and that is what your protectiong, the clearcoat. When i paint a vechicle we always recomend putting 2 coats of wax about a week after being painted. That is plenty of time for the paint to cure fully. Letting a paint job go for sooo long with out protecting will cause you alot of damage. Then washing it once a week with out that protections is even worse.

Car wash spray on wax will not help you at all, spray on quick wax will provide protection for a week mabey2 if your surface is already have a feww good coats on it. Take the time to wash, claybar your vehicle, then put on at least 2 coats of a good wax. I use the Glanz sold by www.waynestowels.com. It is probly the best stuff I have ever used. Please take the time to take car of your paint now befor it becomes a problem later on. Spending a little now is better than spending $1000 to $2500 for a new paint job later on.

If you have anymore questions about detailing or careing for paint ask it. And trust expersts like wayne and mad wax. they've been in the busness of making paint look good and last.

I agree 110%.
Clear coat "IS" paint and not a protectant or a "magic bullet"..., as a matter of fact, it is needs to be protected as any other paint would need to be protected.

Clear coat will fade, oxidize, scratch, peel, fail, etc, etc as any other paint (it is not as noticable as the thin layer is clear, but when you finally do notice it, by then, in most cases it is too late and time for a new paint job).

The "rumor" was started when it was first being used and as a "selling point" by hack painters saying "you will never have to wax your car again because I can spray it with clear coat protectant".

1- Fact, clear coat does protect the base coat and adds the shine.

2- Fact, clear coat paint has no protectant in and of itself and will not be protected unless you add the protectant on a scheduled routine basis.

3- Fact, Wax or sealants are what is called "sacrificial layers or barriers".
What this means is that in order for the natural aging and enviromental damages that occur over time to your paint (in this case- clear coat), the wax and/or sealant applied to the paint will protect the paint and will not allow rain, dust, dirt or other contaminants to actually touch your paint.

4- Fact, The sun and it's powerfull UV rays can and will harm your paint by premature aging and fading. Protecting your paint with a "Quality product" that contains UV inhibitors will significantly slow down the aging and fading process, again, acting as a "sacrificial barrier" and not allowing the damage to occur as fast..., kind of like using a SPF sunscreen at the beach. It will not stop all the suns rays, but the first day on the beach with no tan, in the sun all day without protection vs. with protection, there is a "Significant" difference.
Now, imagine your car, all day, every day and no protection vs the added protection only you can provide.

Hope this helps:)

#12 ·
wayne you are the man. thanks for helping explane it [thumb]

#13 ·
When i paint a vechicle we always recomend putting 2 coats of wax about a week after being painted. That is plenty of time for the paint to cure fully.

I painted kenworth trucks for eight years. The sticker they put into the window for the new owner said not to wash or wax the vehicle for 90 days after delivery. The paint, while being baked on, is still outgassing and curing. You don't want to seal the paint that soon. We used dupont imron for paint. Auto paint is different, and may have different caracteristics. Take it for what it is worth.

#16 ·
. When i paint a vechicle we always recomend putting 2 coats of wax about a week after being painted. That is plenty of time for the paint to cure fully.

Whoa i def dont agree with that. i also paint cars i do alot of custom paint work. Yes you may have a clearcoat but clear coat is the part that takes the longest to fully cure. You should never wax a car before 90 days of painting. There are special waxes out there for new paint that do not have a clear coating protection in it which allows the paint to fully cure.

#17 ·
your doing custom work, i deal with fleet vehcils. our clear has a fast cure time. maufature also states wax in one week.

#18 ·
The wax job is done, and it looks pretty good. I just used the armor all liquid wax I had and it came out nice. Next time I'll buy Meguyers. I'm not into it enough to spend the time and money on the claybar and other web products, but it's nice to know that they're out there.

#19 ·
Their is no wax on the cars, they just wash them and thats all.

Alot of dealerships in our area wax them.

#20 ·
I wouldn't clay EVERY time I washed my car... maybe every other month if that...

If you are really serious about waxing your vehicle, invest some money into a random orbit polisher (Porter Cable 7424 is what I use). It puts on a nice, even coat of wax/polish, and also can be used to remove it too! It also helps save time. It also helps prevent the swirl marks that you see on almost EVERY vehicle (VERY noticable on dark vehicles).

I use Meguiars NXT wax and I love it! I also use Meguiars Professional line (tan bottles) and I like it also. Both go on/off really easy. I put some NXT on my truck 2 months or so before I traded it in and the water still beaded off!

#21 ·
5speedZX3 said:
your doing custom work, i deal with fleet vehcils. our clear has a fast cure time. maufature also states wax in one week.
First of all, whether or not you deal with fleet vehicles or custom work, paint is paint. Doesn't matter on what kind of vehicle it is. Secondly, please show me where a manufacture states to wax a car within one week of either buying or fresh painting a vehicle. Maybe you all have proven your point on the fact that clear coat does not provide any protectant. I know and any idiot knows that clear coat is just a shiny layer to protect the paint itself. In theory, as long as water beads on a vehicle, then it is being protected very well. If it sheets, then that means there is no protection, and the vehicle then is in need of some type of wax protectant to put back on what clearcoat has been worn away. Maybe it is my own personal opinion, but if you sit and think about it, what I am saying does make since. As I have mentioned in my previous post. I have been detailing vehicles for over 12 years. I may not be no paint expert, but I have ran across all kinds of colors, and conditions of the paint on vehicles, so I have had plenty of experimenting to know what and what not to do, and what it takes to take care of a vehicles paint job. Also, for all of you out there who likes to wax your vehicle once or twice a month, good luck. I would much rather deal with a vehicle that lacks protectant, than to deal with one that has a major wax build up on it. Take it from me. In almost allweather conditions, I wouldn't wax one no more than 2-3 times a year tops. You would be suprised on how much extra work you all are doing, and could have the same effect or better with over half the work.

#22 ·
Paint is not just paint. The paint we use is alot diffrant than what you use trust me. The stuff we use is a speical mix made just for the goverment. I'll leave it at that.

#23 ·
i wax my surfboard. maybe stickybumps will work? naw, that would be a ton of wax. got a question, what would be a good wax? good wax meaning, i care enough to atleast wax my car good wax.

you guys are getting all hyped up 'bout car wax.
lates

#25 ·
The hype is about making your car look good and saving that nice factory paint or your custom job. Paint is expesive no need to let it turn to crap when a little investment into some quality products could save you $1000's in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.