Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Wash and Wax

5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  elsolo 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
New to the site and just bought a new 2012 Focus Saturday, this is my first brand new car and I want to start things out right by buying a quality wash, wax and possibly a clay kit. I have in the past only washed and waxed my cars but I'm considering using a clay bar on this one to add that extra shine. I'm thinking either the Mother's California Gold Clay kit or Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay kit. As I have never used a clay bar before I'm unsure which to use. I'm looking for a complete "kit" that you guys might use: wash, clay bar, wax, any other products.
Thanks!

#2 ·
if its BRAND new, I would recommend holding off on the heavy duty detailing for at least a month.

It isn't necessary or wise to do any intensive work on fresh paint.

A clay bar does not "add shine"
A clay bar is used to remove contaminants that are embedded into the clear-coat over time. Sap, minerals from hard water, etc. Since its brand new, no time has passed and you have zero reason to use a clay bar.

If I were you, I would hold off on the detail and just wash/wax the car for now. In a month or so I would recommend having someone do a full detail, polish, and sealant. This will keep your car shiny and well-protected.

#6 ·
The paint is ready for anything you throw at it by the time it leaves the factory.

YEs a brand new car needs clay. The transportation and assembly process leads to something called "rail dust" which is little bits of iron and industrial fallout that gets bonded to the clear coat. The clay will remove this.

#9 ·
100% agreed.

I clayed my car about a month after I had it and the surface already had contaminants on the paint and you could really feel them plus the rain sports from sitting outside the dealer were prominent.
I used the Meguire's clay kit and the surface came out as smooth as the proverbial baby's butt.
Definetly clay bar your car first thing and then get a good poilish and wax on it.

#7 ·
Plus most dealers instill holograms and swirls when they "prep" the cars.
Post a pic of direct light on the paint. Then we can go from there. Most quality polish companies offer product designed for brand new paint as well.

#8 ·
You can follow this website on how to clean your care and bring back the shine.

www.ammonyc.com

In the video he suggests to use dish detergent to remove any wax on the car and start from scratch by using compounds. Then you will apply wax as needed. Dish soap is only used in cases that you want to remove the wax build up and get to the paint to better remove the swirl marks. For new cars we just simply wash and wax as needed.

The website has some excellent videos on how to wash a car, wax it and maintain the appearance.

#10 ·
I know this thread is a little old, but I picked up my car on 8/17 and fully washed, clayed, sealed and waxed it 2 weeks later. The paint was not very smooth from the factory and after the clay bar it felt amazingly smooth. I used Meguiar's wash, Meguiar's clay kit, wolfgang paint sealant 3.0 and Autoglym hd wax. Its amazing the difference a good quality wax makes.

#11 ·
waxing your car

I have used zaino bros for years and have never had a problem, Just picked up my hatchback titanium, washed with dawn soap to remove any rail dust etc. then I clayed the entire car.Go to zainobros.com for a complete list for application.try it once and you will be amazed goes on by hand wipes off by hand.each coat adds more shine

#12 ·
You may or may not need to clay a new car, depends on how and how much it travelled to get to you. My first car came from California to Ontario, Canada, and was part of an inter dealer trade, so it was highway driven for a few more hundred kilometres. It needed to be clayed and detailed very badly. My focus was built just 2 hours away and had a dozen miles on the clock when I picked it up and did not need to be clay barred.

I drag my fingers across the paint. If it feels like perfectly smooth glass, it does not need to be clay barred, but if you can feel imperfections, it could probably use it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.