04-29-2005, 09:58 AM
I drive a 2002 ZX3 with about 39000 miles. Recently I have been hearing this strange sort of rattling and shaking. It sounds like its coming from the front passenger side. Its particularly bad over bumps and and while accelerating. It also seems worse when the engine is still cold.
Has anyone had this issue? What can I do? Its driving me crazy!!
04-29-2005, 10:04 AM
what do you do? Be glad you don't live in Michigan, where potholes are the state flower - they bloom everywhere.
When you shake the crap out of a car rattles are bound to happen.
Steps to resolve a rattle:
1) Determine if its inside or outside the car.
2) try to replicate the rattle in the general area by very scientifically whacking the different parts of the car
3) use your ears to zero in on the sound
4) if you find it, determine if its cause is that something is loose, or that something is broken.
5) if it's loose, tighten it, sometimes interior rattles occur when chistmas tree clips get tired so those need to be replaced.
6) if its broken, replace it and make sure that its installed to factory specifications
7) if all else fails, turn up the radio.
04-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks for tha advice. There are a ton of potholes where I live.
btw-whats a christmas tree clip?
My feeling is that the problem is under the car. I guess I will try the banging (have done it in annoyance trying to make it stop!). I figure when I take my car in for an oil change I will ask the mecahnic. I just don't like to go there clueless!
04-29-2005, 10:23 AM
hmmmm. It could be a motor mount. Check all those and make sure they aren't all torn up. Do you regularly drive the car hard?
04-29-2005, 11:02 AM
I try to be gentle when I drive, however, the roads I drive on are generally not in the greatest ship. Perhaps the potholes are starting to effect.
Is it easy to check the motor mounts mself (even knowing v little about cars)?
04-29-2005, 11:04 AM
oops meant to say- the roads are not in the greatest shape!
04-29-2005, 11:34 AM
I just had a problem like this, it ended up being the suspension linkage according to ford.
Either way, it's the rod that goes from the tierod, up and connects right under the coil/spring. Check the boot on it, mine was ripped apart and worn like hell. Went to ford, got another one for 19 bucks, it's a hell of a lot more sturdy, fixed everything.
I'll get the P# for you when I get home from work.