11-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Since I am hella poor, and haven't even paid off my car.. I didn't get the most best car to start out with. I got a 2002 sedan.. that doesn't say lx on it but I assume it's lx.. It's 5 speed, with standard everything.. no power windows locks.. anything.. nothing at all.. it was one of those cars that you would see in the newspaper.. only a select few... anyway I have some questions about it.
1.Since the car didn't come with a tach, I was wondering what the redline of the car was.. and how I would be going about to installing it...
2.I want a OEM spoiler.. a stock one and I was wondering how hard it was to install such a thing.
3.For the people that used to work at a Ford dealership.. how come on my drivers side window there is like a imprint of a barcode or something on the window that I can't ever get off.. i've tried using windex.. grease remover.. everything.. it won't come off.. and why the hell is it on there anyway?
4.How do I go about painting the side moldings?.. Do I take them off and paint them.. or paint them straight on the car.. and what kind of paint would I need.. and tools to apply the paint.
Noobie to the car fanatic thing..
11-08-2003, 10:00 PM
[3.] It may be the vin # but dont hold me to it
[4.] They say its a bitch to do yourself! I would recommend bringing it to a body shop and have them do it. It be under $100 at most shops.
11-09-2003, 02:40 PM
Welcome aboard Chris, my local bodyshop quoted me $300 to paint all the moldings and the side mirrors. I figure the labor alone is worth it.
11-09-2003, 03:08 PM
I've got my side moldings painted but I let a body shop do it. IMO, I think painting all the mirrors, side moldings and plus the hatch piece is a little too much. But if you've got the time and the patience you could do it yourself...
JUST BE CAREFUL!
11-10-2003, 12:26 AM
the markings on the window are etchings for anti theft. Meaning if your vehicle was stolen, the theif would have to replace all the windows on the car to re-sell it. Since there is etching on them identifying the car to the vin it would basically cost more to replace all the windows on the car then what he could see it for. Its usually an option when you purchase a new vehicle or it's already on and factored into the final price.
11-10-2003, 12:36 AM
ive never heard of that. thats cool
1) I am also having the install problem, but when (and a rare when) I race I use the trip odometer as a digital tach and shift a 6000... untill I get my tach put in.
2) Install can be difficult, but not to bad. Painting however...
3) There are also echings on certain other parts of the car, so if your car is dismantled, they can track whos parts went where, ect. Its an anti theft device.
4) It is a pain in the arse, and thats why I wont do it. Plus, I like the stock look, except I will have to get some rims.[welcome]
11-21-2003, 02:29 PM
i just had my vin etched on all the glass in my car by the university police. they're doing it for free as a community service thing. geico is giving me a few dollars off of my insurance premium, but not much.
if you can find someplace that does it for free, it's worth it.
11-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Thanks guys, that was very helpful of you. I have more questions that I would like to be answered.
1. What does a stock spi sedan focus redline at?
2. When I bought the car how come it didn't come with a "lx" symbol on the back?
3. Is the trunk's hydrolyics, suppose to go up by itself when it's open to an extent or it's just there to hold up the trunk. ~ counter acts the gravity?
4. is there anyway possible to install a tilt steering lever? or how am I suppose to tilt it?
5. How come the passsenger side, you can pull the seat back farther then the drivers seat? Can I somehow make it so I can pull it back even more?
6. Does anyone know if 35% tint on a infra red 2002 lx spi sedan look good? What do you sugguest? My state allows 35 %.
7. Is there a way I can make my engine Quieter?