01-06-2012, 03:12 PM
I just bought a 07 FX3 with the Street Apperance package. When the car was on the lot it took a bump on the driver side fender and it has a broken marker light now, the 9" vertical lens is smashed. I was thinking of doing some LED turn signals or something but can't come up with anything good. Anyone have any ideas or pics they want to share would be great. Thanx.
01-14-2012, 03:06 PM
I finaly figured out what I was going to do with the marker lights.
1. First I removed the lights from the bumper. The passenger side is easy but the driver side is a pain because of the air box. Removing the inner fender for access throw the wheel well is the easyiest way.
2. I bought 24" of white led strip lights. You can find it at most custom stereo shops. The stuff I got show's places to cut every 3 led's.
3. Next I used a heat gun to soften the glue holding the reflector to the housing. Only heat it up till it's hot to the touch.
4. Now you should beable to pull the reflector of housing. The reflector may crack or break no worries you don't need it.
5. After removing the reflector use a dremal tool with a small stone to remove the ring where the reflector was heat welded also removing any excess material to make it a smooth surface. Don't worry if it leaves small scuffs were the reflector was attached you will hide this.
6. Fit the led strip in to the indented area were the reflector was and trim to lenght. Don't attatch it yet it will make sodering hard.
7. With a razor etrim the silicone covering to expose the small positive and negative dots on one end of the strip. Using a pointed sodering rod or small butane sodering torch put small drop of soder on the +- treminal then using some 14 or 16 ga wire about 6" long make the conections.
8. Now you can remove the backing on the 3M tape and stick it in place putting the wires through the original light bulb hole.
9. I got myself some 1/8 lexan but you could us plexie glass if you wish. Make a template of the original lens area. Now trace this on to your lexan and cut out with a jig saw. Us a file to clean and trim the edges.
10. I got some small rubber pugs an made a 1/8 hole in them to seal the wires in the housing. I also used some Permitex black silicone.
11. Using industrial plexie glass glue put a 1/8 bead around the housing and the lens where they will touch together and attach the lens. I used a small quick grip clamp to apply a small amount of pressure to them and left them over night.
12. Cut the original light bulb pig tail off and make the conection then screw light back in to bumper.
I will have pics to post in the next few days.
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Seems interesting. Gotta the pics up though.