Focus Fanatics Forum banner

valve cover painting

858 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  johngyver 
#1 ·
can anyone give me directions on how to paint my valve cover

#3 ·
How to on valve cover painting....

Its pretty straight forward. Two main things you gotta look out for is. Those bolts are torqued to a certain spec. 80in-lbs. Atleast thats what it said in my chiltons book. My advice. If you cant/dont have that kinda torque wrench. Try and remember how tight they where when you took them out. DO NOT over tighten them. Another thing. Whatever you do. DO NOT pull the screws up and out from the valve cover. You will rip the seals. I know first hand from doing that personally. Check out the other thread about that if you want to. All I done was use some soap and water. Took it outside and used a hose as well. I scrubbed it for about 15mins and came out ok. If its a little dirty even afterwards its ok. Just get the stuff thats caked on there if you can. Then prep it and get ready to have some paintin fun. I put on about 5 to 6 coats to give it some bling hehe. I would suggest you do this late in the day and let the valve cover sit and dry all nite. I let mine do that and it held up fine and still is. I used black enamel engine paint. I dont really have anymore to say or think right now. Its pretty easy. If you need help or if theres anything, I forgot to mention. Just post up.

#6 ·
i used degreaser on my eclipse to knock off any oily residue....sprayed 3 coats of that high temp paint..let that dry for 3 hours..then 3 coats of clear..and bam...most high temp motor paint doesnt require primer..just read the can to make sure.oh and after you paint it watch what you clean your engine with..some of those products like engine bright will eat the paint..good luck and post some pics when complete..................... mikey[thumb]

#7 ·
After the paint drys start the engine. Keep your hand on the valve cover, when it just starts to feel warm, shut the engine off and let it cool completly. Do the same but let the cover get pretty warm, then let it cool completly. Curing the paint in this manner will make it last much longer.

Sometimes I put my stuff in the oven on bake 200, that works good also.

Scrape off the big crud, 409 or some kind of degreaser, then into the dishwasher.

I get yelled at alot.

#8 ·
What about powder coating the valve cover? Has anyone tried this method? I was told that it is so much better than painting as far as the finish is concerned. I was also told that it would last far longer than paint too. What do you think?

As you can tell I am about to paint my SPI valve cover too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.