Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Instrument Cluster......

5K views 43 replies 19 participants last post by  N1TROPT1C 
#1 ·
Anyone know how to get a new instrument cluster for the SPI focus...Well the ones without a tach in them...Mine doesn't have a tach...and I would like to have one..anything helps... :)

#3 ·
HI NooBs!! Welcome to FF! First off, try Ebay. If you pay over $60 you got smoked. You have to watch for one that is either very close to your mileage or just over. When your mileage and the "new' mileage match, do the swap. Done. It's completely plug-and-play, not like the add-on tach. I see you're having problems with your add-on tach,FR2. There will be no such problems with the no-tach-to-tach-swap. Swap, done.

#4 ·
If you got the cash just get it from the dealership for $300. They will send it to you from the factory with the exact miles you had on your old one. If you buy them off ebay with the promise of "if you take it to the dealership they can reset the mileage for you", you've been duped. The dealership cannot reset the mileage for you. Also depending on how nice the guy at the Ford parts store is, you might have to pay an extra $100 for the core charge you would have recieved, because your trading up to a better cluster.

#5 ·
kinkyfink said:
If you buy them off ebay with the promise of "if you take it to the dealership they can reset the mileage for you", you've been duped. The dealership cannot reset the mileage for you.
WRONG!!!

The dealership can reset the milage for you. i was at my dealership yesterday and spoke with the service manager. unfortunatly the dealership i was at would charge me one hour of labor ($100) which i dont think is worth it. but it can be done!!

#7 ·
the tach will just work. as simple as that. just unplug one and plug in the other.

the problem is the milage on the odometer is in the tach, so unless you get a cluster with the same # of miles or get it reset your odometer will be off.

#9 ·
well, dont believe me if you dont want to.... doesnt really matter to me.
if you dont believe me, call my dealership. the number is 720-469-1801 ext. 202

from my understanding, the dealership has to upload information to someplace else, then download new info, so its not the dealership that does it, though it is done there.

maybe my dealership is super duper special, but then again, mayb emy dealership just cares about its customers.

#10 ·
and the technology is there, no extra work at all, why do they make the cars different? (some with a speedo, and some with both tach and speedo? you would think to save costs they would put the same in all instead of making a different part.

#12 ·
since we are just talking about replacing one stock focus guage cluster with another, there should be absolutly no waranty issues. unless the new part causes damage. (for example, if you install a CAI, it doesnt effect your waranty, but if you injest water because of that CAI, your waranty doesnt cover it)

as for a cluster with lower miles. it is possible to tell, though i dont know all the specifics. and if you try to sell the vehicle with the incorrect milage it is illegal.

#14 ·
i think your dealership is full of crap and just wants your $.

Installing aftermarket or non-stock parts on your car will not void your waranty unless the new part causes the problem. This is the law! Please see the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

#15 ·
I just recently swaped my guages I got the ZX3 set from a junk yard I bought them for 50 and I say its worth it. and about the warranty, unless you find a set near your milage it will void your warranty B/C your warranty is based on your odomiter trust me I already know my extended warranty was canceled for it.

#16 ·
hey everyone, this is probably the wrong forum for this, but i bought a speedo/tach cluster off ebay for $75.00. it has 92,282 miles on it. none of the dealerships here in San Antonio would do the mileage swap. so if any one wants to buy it from me, i will sell it for $60.00. shipping should be about 10 bucks. it works too. i took mine out and pluged this one in. thats how i got the mileage. any ways, let me know.

#17 ·
Caleb said:
hey everyone, this is probably the wrong forum for this, but i bought a speedo/tach cluster off ebay for $75.00. it has 92,282 miles on it. none of the dealerships here in San Antonio would do the mileage swap. so if any one wants to buy it from me, i will sell it for $60.00. shipping should be about 10 bucks. it works too. i took mine out and pluged this one in. thats how i got the mileage. any ways, let me know.
Go to the Buy-Sell-Trade Forum! You should get a better response there.[thumb]

#18 ·
Little do many people know that there is a digital tach (rev meter) on the cluster without one. All it does is replace the trip meter with a digital read. To do this you would have to turn your cluster into TEST MODE. The instructions can be found here. http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=13
Another little known fact is that the non-tach cluster has a shift light. This is an UP ARROW that can be seen by doing a test mode. But for some reason it wont come on (automatics)

#19 ·
ill faded sole said:
Little do many people know that there is a digital tach (rev meter) on the cluster without one. All it does is replace the trip meter with a digital read. To do this you would have to turn your cluster into TEST MODE. The instructions can be found here. http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=13
Another little known fact is that the non-tach cluster has a shift light. This is an UP ARROW that can be seen by doing a test mode. But for some reason it wont come on (automatics)
To get the tach to read on the digiatal LCD you need to put it into test mode every time you turn on your car which is a little anoying after a while. and is in a bad spot to read while driving, its easier to read a needle gauge, also the reason the shift light doesnt come on for an automatic is becuase you dont shift an automatic, the shift light is just as it means to let you know when you need to shift and that is for folks who have manuals.

#20 ·
UMDivx, I am aware that the shift light doesnt come on becuase of obvious reasons. And it does get a little annoying to put the LCD into test mode. But I was just pointing out that the non-tach cluster does have a rev-meter and shift light.

#21 ·
lol thanks for the reply's, I allready knew about the LCD tach...but I don't like it because it's too precise, I like the needle better...You know what sucks tho, they put tach's in Automatics, but not all manuals, that doesn't really make sense, you don't have to see your RPM's in an automatic cus you don't have to shift...but you think that they would put one in all manuals because you should have to know your RPM's so you don't be redlining all da time and stuff..anyways..thanks...Anyone know if the Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch will work on the SPI Tranny? at Cal-Focus it says that the clutch will work on any focus with 5-speed manual.. just wondering... thanks!

#22 ·
NIR, true but most of the time people shift short. Not letting max rpm for the gear. It does suck for thos with a manual transmission but no tach, I used to drive by sound (no tach) in another vehicle I had.

#24 ·
OK a couple of replies here;

1st - I have a 2002 auto SPI... I don't have the tach. So.... I guess I am going to whine too!

2nd - The auto shifter has a small button for the OD on the underside of the shifter. I use this button to keep my car in a lower gear when I want to have better acceleration at lower speeds. Once the SPI gets over 50mph I hit the OD button so I don't over rev the tiny SPI rubberband.

3) Riddle me this... I had 35,400 miles on my odometer on my stock cluster. I ordered a replacement on ebay and put it in the car. I was going to take mine and put in a glow gauge but have decided to go for a cluster with a tach in it since mine is the non tach version. I have driven over 3000 miles on the replacement tach. If I put the original tach in my car it will still say that I have 35,400 miles which is still under warranty. Can the dealership find out from the computer that I have the extra miles on my car since I had a different tach in it? If I put the original tach in am I still under warranty since it reads less than 36k miles?

Umm, If you are with law enforcement please disregard this post. [driving]

#25 ·
it is possible to tell the milage from the ECU i believe, if the check it. if they do happen to check it, then not only will they refuse to work on your car, but they have the right to report you to the local athorities. (i am not sure about the specific laws, but its not legal)

i personally would not risk it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.